Thoughts on this....on way now...not missing out again

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

No i didnt but ive seen a similar boat that was full of stuff still and it all came with the sale including plants bedding soft toys and a very large alcohol selection...was on an aqualine 60 x 9 pioner boat.

When I raised the fact that the Boat was rammed full of this Americans Possessions , the staff at Whilton simply said " if we had to empty these Boats of all the crap that stupid sellers leave on them we would want a Warehouse out the back " which I suppose was fair comment ?

18 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

No i didnt but ive seen a similar boat that was full of stuff still and it all came with the sale including plants bedding soft toys and a very large alcohol selection...was on an aqualine 60 x 9 pioner boat.

Not surprised they probably ran away screaming when they got to the first narrow bit or were fed up oh hearing the hearty canal abuse when the caused jams

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Parahandy said:

I think you're approaching the whole situation very sensibly and in the end you can only do what you can do , incidentally do you have any idea why the vendor wants rid ? No particular reason for asking its just that a few years back I was at Whilton Marina and there was a similar Boat incredibly still full with the vendors clothes and even Bottles of Scotch , turned out he had come over from America did " the system "placed the Boat on Brokerage and flew home .

Good point. I bought a boat a few years ago that had that day by chance been taken in to a yard for sale but no paperwork done so I asked the price. It seemed too cheap at the time. I looked over the boat and JUST installed was a complete recon bmc engine with new gearbox and engine bay was like new. Much of the boat although a few years old had been refurbished to a high standard the only thing missing was a decent bathroom so I was puzzled. I asked yard owners what the crack was and it transpired the owner had spent some time replacing and modernising ready for the usual " Extended cruising " on his forthcoming retirement and had collapsed and died that weekend suddenly after nearly completing it to digress that's why I have never been a gonna do as too many don't ever get there. Anyway the blokes wife was so upset ( obviously ) she just couldn't even go onboard the boat and wanted rid soon as possible. It was the first boat I didn't even try to get any money off and paid cash the next day and took it away and moored that one at Foxhangers for a while.

On 29/04/2018 at 19:16, Matt&Jo said:

Well i will find out on tuesday when the broker opens...im not miles away from the asking price to be honest and i have reduced the costs in my head i will incure such as blacking... u may or may not agree but thats how i see it......

This boat costs X and i need to spend X and thats my offer with that taken into account.

Any news?

47 minutes ago, Nut said:

as someone has said take 15k off that price and haggle its not worth that price in fact no where near, however there probably is someone who would pay it

If there is someone who would pay it, and they do, then it was worth the price paid. Are you suggesting that a seller should sell for 15k less than someone will probably pay?

2 hours ago, Nut said:

as someone has said take 15k off that price and haggle its not worth that price in fact no where near, however there probably is someone who would pay it

Which means they will miss out on every boat they look at.

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Which means they will miss out on every boat they look at.

Exactly.

There may have been a time when boats were struggling to sell that you could get away with a low offer. Now, whilst boats are selling quickly and the market is buoyant, if you want to buy you have to be prepared to act fast and pay pretty close to if not the asking price.

If not you are unlikely to be buying any time soon.

• Greenie 1

Even if it's an inferior boat and the fitout is rubbish and the owner/broker has inflated the price?

When we purchased Nightwatch we liked the boat, in our view nowt wrong with it except the price was over our budget. Spoke to the broker, he said doubtful any offer would be considered, so being who we are and that we didn't have enough funds to go to asking price we put in a cheeky offer. It was accepted. That was 2005. Was it a buyers or a sellers market? Who knows?

Don't believe it's a sellers market. Gobble de gook. Even if it is a buyers markets, which I believe it isn't, why unrealistic prices?  If someone likes and wants a boat that is for sale, they decide if they buy it or not. 

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Even if it's an inferior boat and the fitout is rubbish and the owner/broker has inflated the price?

When we purchased Nightwatch we liked the boat, in our view nowt wrong with it except the price was over our budget. Spoke to the broker, he said doubtful any offer would be considered, so being who we are and that we didn't have enough funds to go to asking price we put in a cheeky offer. It was accepted. That was 2005. Was it a buyers or a sellers market? Who knows?

Don't believe it's a sellers market. Gobble de gook. Even if it is a buyers markets, which I believe it isn't, why unrealistic prices?  If someone likes and wants a boat that is for sale, they decide if they buy it or not. 

They are only unrealistic prices if someone doesn't buy them. If someone does, well then that is what the boat was worth.

ETA: It certainly isn't a buyers market right now. Sellers market yes as any old tat seems to be selling for high prices.

Edited by Naughty Cal

In the current market I don't believe you will find the perfect boat at the perfect price.

I do think there are many overpriced boats.....but they are still selling.  Probably as a result of people losing out on too many good priced boats by not acting quick enough.

There is haggle room in prices, but only for those boats not selling. 

If a boat you like comes on the market but is overpriced, you risk losing out if you wait...or overpaying if you don't. 

Ultimately I think impatience will prevail. You'll eventually find a boat that's perfect and you'll overpay.....or you will find a boat that is less than perfect and get it lower than the asking price.

Either that or you won't ever get a boat :)

• Greenie 1

It must also depend to some extent on the buyer's situation as to some folks a few thousand either way is no bother,what may  sway them is the need to have the boat purchase complete within a time scale.

After a lot of time spent chasing round the country looking at unsuitable boats, finding one that seems to meet requirements may persuade them to pay a bit more than if the boat is not quite up to spec, and what suits one person 100% won't suit another.

I don't see boats selling any faster this month compared to three months ago, but one can never know how many are gettting their asking price, probably not many as buyers traditionally want a good discount, negotiations slow the process.

Edited by LadyG

7 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

They are only unrealistic prices if someone doesn't buy them. If someone does, well then that is what the boat was worth.

ETA: It certainly isn't a buyers market right now. Sellers market yes as any old tat seems to be selling for high prices.

Sellers market. Buyers market. Well I never. If people are willing to buy tat then so be it. There's still good quality products to buy, that don't sell. Perhaps they are the boats over priced.

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

It must also depend to some extent on the buyer's situation as to some folks a few thousand either way is no bother,what may  sway them is the need to have the boat purchase complete within a time scale.

After a lot of time spent chasing round the country looking at unsuitable boats, finding one that seems to meet requirements may persuade them to pay a bit more than if the boat is not quite up to spec, and what suits one person 100% won't suit another.

I don't see boats selling any faster this month compared to three months ago, but one can never know how many are gettting their asking price, probably not many as buyers traditionally want a good discount, negotiations slow the process.

That's why some people have  boats and some people like yourself will probably never get one.

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Sellers market. Buyers market. Well I never. If people are willing to buy tat then so be it. There's still good quality products to buy, that don't sell. Perhaps they are the boats over priced.

If a decent boat hasn't sold within 12 weeks it is over priced.

Much the same with houses.

• Unimpressed 1

7 hours ago, zenataomm said:

It always makes oi larf when people say something sold for more than it's worth.

There are two "worths": what something is worth on the open market, and what it's worth to one individual, which will often be a higher figure. So something which sells for more than the former figure may be just right in the latter case.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

There are two "worths": what something is worth on the open market, and what it's worth to one individual, which will often be a higher figure. So something which sells for more than the former figure may be just right in the latter case.

Personalised number plates for cars are a good example. Paying thousands for one that vaguely resembles your name or initials is one that an individual might think worth it, but the rest of the world won't. I would laugh at that!

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 19:16, Matt&Jo said:

Well i will find out on tuesday when the broker opens...im not miles away from the asking price to be honest and i have reduced the costs in my head i will incure such as blacking... u may or may not agree but thats how i see it......

This boat costs X and i need to spend X and thats my offer with that taken into account.

Well - you posted this a week ago - any news ?

3 hours ago, Athy said:

But 'worth is a woolly term. The second 'worth' isn't what most of us mean by worth. We are using the word as shorthand for 'open market value'.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

But 'worth is a woolly term. The second 'worth' isn't what most of us mean by worth. We are using the word as shorthand for 'open market value'.

But in previous (similar) discussions has it not been suggested that the 'market value' is what the buyer is prepared to pay ?

If a buyer 'buys it' and pays £50,000 for it, and you consider it is only (to you) valued at £45,000 what is the market value ?

Value can only ever be based upon opinion when talking about narrowboat and houses. They are all different, and can only be sold once, so there is no way of knowing the true value until any individual boat or house sells.

An opinion as to Open Market Value would be fairly represented by the amount at which it could be reasonably expected to sell, given a reasonable period on the open market in which to negotiate a hypothetical sale.

Such an opinion is generally based upon the prices at which similar boats and houses have sold, with location having a great influence on house values, and less so on boat values.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But 'worth is a woolly term. The second 'worth' isn't what most of us mean by worth. 

I don't agree. Both meanings are valid depending on the circs. Dr. Bob gives a perfect example of the second meaning a couple of posts back.

For some years I have been collecting the singles issued by a favourite record label. Of the 140 or so releases, by last year I owned copies of all but one. When a copy of that finally came up for sale, I paid about twice the value listed in the Rare Record Price Guide to secure it and thereby complete my set. To many people, it would be worth the guide price. To me it was worth more. Both "worths" are worthy worths.

29 minutes ago, Athy said:

I don't agree. Both meanings are valid depending on the circs. Dr. Bob gives a perfect example of the second meaning a couple of posts back.

For some years I have been collecting the singles issued by a favourite record label. Of the 140 or so releases, by last year I owned copies of all but one. When a copy of that finally came up for sale, I paid about twice the value listed in the Rare Record Price Guide to secure it and thereby complete my set. To many people, it would be worth the guide price. To me it was worth more. Both "worths" are worthy worths.

Exactly. Virtual greenie. ......and it might be the same for boats. Someone offers over the 'norm' cause they dont want to loose a good one. I think that is getting more and more common as supply and demand is tilted away from supply and so prices rise. Talking to brokers, I keep hearing that they are desperate for more boats to sell in the £40K-£60K range as supply is not meeting demand.

Someone in an earlier post said that sales have not got faster in the last 3 month...likely because supply of good boats is still limited at the same rate.

Just now, Dr Bob said:

Someone in an earlier post said that sales have not got faster in the last 3 month...likely because supply of good boats is still limited at the same rate.

Perhaps akin to saying that Lewis Hamilton has not got faster this season - because he was already bloody fast last year.

So they tried to up the offer we made of another thousand and we could not stretch that far so they took it back to the owner and nothing bk so.......must be a no......funnily ennough found identicle shell a few years older for 9k less ...  viewing sunday

• Greenie 1