Leaky stem gland

blackrose

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Sounds to me like a reporter desperately trying to make a story out of a quite ordinary situation. Anyone ever been involved in a large construction project - whether land or water based? Even our new nb was having snags fixed by the builder several months after handover (only a very small number I hasten to add in case anyone can work out which builder it was!).

I knew they should not have gone to "Springer's" for the job.

:)

21 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Sounds to me like a reporter desperately trying to make a story out of a quite ordinary situation.

Yes this morning a BBC reporter was yapping about how much Bitcoin are now worth.

2000 times the original value apparently "That's two hundred thousand per cent" he said.

I'm surprised they haven't invented 'micro per cent' or some other ridiculous unit so that they can quote as big a number as possible.

1 hour ago, jake_crew said:

Yes this morning a BBC reporter was yapping about how much Bitcoin are now worth.

2000 times the original value apparently "That's two hundred thousand per cent" he said.

I'm surprised they haven't invented 'micro per cent' or some other ridiculous unit so that they can quote as big a number as possible.

Philip Scofield on a program about Christmas gifts: “And this one costs six times less!”

WTF is “six times less”?  Could he have meant “a sixth”?

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Philip Scofield on a program about Christmas gifts: “And this one costs six times less!”

WTF is “six times less”?  Could he have meant “a sixth”?

Or worse, as I've also heard on the BBC.... "six hundred per cent less"

AhhhggggghhhhH!!!!!!

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Or worse, as I've also heard on the BBC.... "six hundred per cent less"

AhhhggggghhhhH!!!!!!

Shirley that means they were giving you 5 times the ticket price to take it off their hands?

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 06:50, Alan de Enfield said:

If it indeed it is a stem gland then presumably it is a bow thruster rather than a prop-shaft - typical poor reporting

The report says one of the propeller shafts - she has two fixed pitch propellers driving through conventional shafts - so not poor reporting and it is not a bow thrust.

This is a typical sensationalist report by the press about what is a nothing story. 200 litre per hour through a stern gland, although not desirable, is small and easily coped with.  The amount of guarantee items on the list before the vessel is 100% will make this "incident" pale into insignificance.

See the pic below from the BBC report which shows the shafts

Howard

Infographic showing location of propeller shaft on ship

4 minutes ago, howardang said:

The report says one of the propeller shafts - she has two fixed pitch propellers driving through conventional shafts - so not poor reporting and it is not a bow thrust.

But the thread title is STEM LEAK.

Just in case you don't know,, the STEM is at the font of the boat - so, if the leak is at the 'back ' then it is poor reporting

Edited by Alan de Enfield

52 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But the thread title is STEM LEAK.

Just in case you don't know,, the STEM is at the font of the boat - so, if the leak is at the 'back ' then it is poor reporting

No, just a bad thread heading. The BBC report quoted in the thread clearly speaks about one of the propeller shafts which, in my limited experience, are at the back of the ship, but no doubt you will correct my ignorance if I am mistaken, and thanks for telling me about the Stem. I learn something every day!

Howard

Edited by howardang
Adding something

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think some European lake steamers and some ferries have shafts and props at the front as well as the back but I expect modern ones have swivelling electric propulsion pods instead.

Many do. The Woolwich ferries have four swiverable units, driven by a couple of Davey Paxman Valenta diesels, same as what the HST 125 trains used to use. Most railway diesel loco's use engines that were primarily designed for marine use.  Paxman, Sulzer, English Electric, GM.

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

Many do. The Woolwich ferries have four swiverable units, driven by a couple of Davey Paxman Valenta diesels, same as what the HST 125 trains used to use. Most railway diesel loco's use engines that were primarily designed for marine use.  Paxman, Sulzer, English Electric, GM.

The present Wolich ferries have Voith-Schneider units to give very good manouverability. According to recent reports their replacements will be diesel electric with azimuth propulsion units.

Howard

Many years ago I organised a visit for the engineers and apprentices at the boatyard to a single screw Union Castle cargo ship in the London docks. Apart from the fact that the only engines we could easily relate to were the ones driving the refrigeration units what struck me was just how much water leaked through the stern gland. There was a fair flow running down the shaft tunnel and probably far in excess of 200l/h so I thnk this is a non-story

On 19/12/2017 at 14:11, cereal tiller said:

It is likely Single use Cassettes ,when they are full they maybe place them in a Deck Gun Barrel ,hold their Noses and Fire the Cassettes into another Hemisphere....I would Guess that the Exercise is referred to as "Brown Cloudmaking"?

Wouldn't that count as biological/chemical warfare

Edited by StephenA
  • Greenie 1

44 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

There was a fair flow running down the shaft tunnel and probably far in excess of 200l/h so I thnk this is a non-story

agreed 200l/hr is nothing really, easy answer

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/182052165900?chn=ps&adgroupid=47842945425&rlsatarget=pla-380312377891&abcId=1129946&adtype=pla&merchantid=115195382&poi=&googleloc=1006816&device=c&campaignid=974959912&crdt=0

3 hours ago, bizzard said:

The Ventura and Valenta were ubiquitous in naval generator sets.  The mighty Deltic was also used in minesweepers - now there was a wonderful sounding loco!

16 hours ago, bizzard said:

14 hours ago, howardang said:

The present Wolich ferries have Voith-Schneider units to give very good manouverability. According to recent reports their replacements will be diesel electric with azimuth propulsion units.

Howard

Don't get me started.  The proper Woolwich Ferries have two coal-fired V twin steam engines - one driving each paddle.  The John Benn was the best.

The John Benn0003.jpg

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

3 hours ago, Tacet said:

Don't get me started.  The proper Woolwich Ferries have two coal-fired V twin steam engines - one driving each paddle.  The John Benn was the best.

The John Benn0003.jpg

I remember them, side loading, I've been across on them many times in my dads car.

Many moons ago, I was at sea in the Merchant Navy, and a number of our ships had Paxman diesel generator sets.  They were a bit of a nightmare to run and maintain.  I always remember the turbochargers glowing cherry red when under a high load.

Edited by davem399