March of the Wide Beams

rustynewbery

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Surely, if they are coming towards you they must be going the 'other way' ?

As I was going to St Ives, I met a man with 7 wives, each wife had 7 cats, each cat had 7 kits, how many were going to St Ives ?

Is it one?

24 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As I was going to St Ives, I met a man with 7 wives, each wife had 7 cats, each cat had 7 kits, how many were going to St Ives ?

It's like the old car insurance claim... "I was proceeding down the road when I hit a stationary oak tree coming in the opposite direction."

Or... "The car was all over the road.  I had to swerve several times before I hit him."

Or... "I hit the pedestrian but he admitted it was his own fault as he'd been hit several times before."

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It's like the old car insurance claim... "I was proceeding down the road when I hit a stationary oak tree coming in the opposite direction."

Or... "The car was all over the road.  I had to swerve several times before I hit him."

Or... "I hit the pedestrian but he admitted it was his own fault as he'd been hit several times before."

And, the oft quoted advert :

"Wanted, table for lady with Queen Anne legs"

22 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I particularly like......

"I turned into the wrong driveway and hit a tree I haven't got".

11 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

If I am cruising the I would estimate 9 out of 10 narrow boats (or more) that come towards me going the other way, I dont have to take 'significant' avoidance action. Maybe 1 out of 10 (or less) ie at a bridge or blind bend and I have to take avoiding action - viz going into reverse. If they had all been wide beams then these numbers would look a lot different - a significant obstruction to navigation. They slow down lock operation by 50% or more and when moored in areas that are not wide they become an unnecessary chicane. I think they are a pain. Not a rant. Not a moan. Just a reaction to wide beams causing obstructions to navigation. No problem with them when they are not - for example moored up in a marina or moored on a wide section of the cut.

Sounds like a moan to me, after all if you can get past them they aren't an obstruction are they?

Perhaps you mean they are a challenge to your boating skills.

Keith 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Steilsteven said:

Sounds like a moan to me, after all if you can get past them they aren't an obstruction are they?

Perhaps you mean they are a challenge to your boating skills.

Keith 

Like traffic calming measures.You can get past them, but they cause obstruction if someone else is coming the other way:)

46 minutes ago, WotEver said:

My favourite was "On my way back from the Rose & Crown" I turned into what I thought was my drive, and collided with a tree I haven't  got"

Damn,  beaten to by Alan Fincher in post #185.  That'll teach me to post without reading the remaining posts :huh:

Edited by cuthound

49 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I have recently been hearing a radio ad for some new vehicle with this automatic braking in case "the car in front gets too close".

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

Or I proceeded down the street & turned into a driveway that wasn't mine & hit a tree that's normally not there

1 minute ago, X Alan W said:

Or I proceeded down the street & turned into a driveway that wasn't mine & hit a tree that's normally not there

As I was going up the stair, I met a man who wasn't there

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

345, given they were probably all travelling on the same train together.