March of the Wide Beams

rustynewbery

Featured Posts

On 09/10/2017 at 09:49, rusty69 said:

Tintagel

Lol!

Fixed a boiler in Exeter a while ago, and another in Alfreston Derbyshire week before last but never driven as far as Tintagel!

Anyway I've heard Cornwall is about to declare UDI so I'd need a passport and visa.  

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Lol!

Fixed a boiler in Exeter a while ago, and another in Alfreston Derbyshire week before last but never driven as far as Tintagel!

Anyway I've heard Cornwall is about to declare UDI so I'd need a passport and visa.  

You do some miles to fix boilers! 

.....bringing the thread back on topic (!!!?), what happened to the Mr Blobby boat that was craned in in Braunston last thursday and last seen heading up the GU/Oxford towards Napton -  I think I saw Stockton as the destination. Can just see it parked up by the Boat Inn narrowing the cut there.

5 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

.....bringing the thread back on topic (!!!?), what happened to the Mr Blobby boat that was craned in in Braunston last thursday and last seen heading up the GU/Oxford towards Napton -  I think I saw Stockton as the destination. Can just see it parked up by the Boat Inn narrowing the cut there.

I knew that someone would have to spoil it and bring us back to this silly nonsense. 

Btw, all moored boats narrow the cut.

Keith 

36 minutes ago, Steilsteven said:

Btw, all moored boats narrow the cut.

But a Kayak tied alongside the bank does stand far less chance of actually extending out over the deepest water where the channel is than (say) a River Wey barge.

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Where is it? I drive all over the south of the UK for work. 

I'll perhaps try it and report the results of my visit back to the board.

10 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Tintagel

I note that Smartguages parent company is Merlin Equipment.  Is this a co-incidence?

For a long time I genuinely believed OTIS lifts were so called because they were based in Reading.  Then I discovered it was just the address of their soul distributor.

I'm here all week..

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I note that Smartguages parent company is Merlin Equipment.  Is this a co-incidence?

For a long time I genuinely believed OTIS lifts were so called because they were based in Reading.  Then I discovered it was just the address of their soul distributor.

I'm here all week..

Are you sittin on the dock of the bay? 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I'm here all week..

stage_hook-thumb_8706.png

11 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I'm here all week..

You evidently have stax of information about them.

When I used to be a regular at the 100 Club in Oxford Street, an act called the Otis Waygood Band often appeared. It was only years later that I realsied that they had borrowed the name of the lift manufacturer and reversed it.

Edited by Athy

22 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Lol!

Now then Mike was it Alfreton or  Ilkeston it wouldn't be Alfreston if it was in Derbyshire" I was born & "Brung" up in Derbyshire" :lol:

On 10/9/2017 at 14:16, Dr Bob said:

On 10/9/2017 at 15:03, alan_fincher said:

But a Kayak tied alongside the bank does stand far less chance of actually extending out over the deepest water where the channel is than (say) a River Wey barge.

Careful Gents. I hope you haven't made any comments about the historic use of the GU north of Berkhamsted being for pairs of narrowboats rather than wide boats as the subject of mooring will put you on a very sticky wicket.

I will hazard a guess my great granddad moored his pair of (narrow) horse boats in the form a 14' floating obstruction on occasions he had reason to pass that way in the 1890s and 1900s. His cousin was the innkeeper.

JP

On 8 October 2017 at 12:59, Mike the Boilerman said:

345, given they were probably all travelling on the same train together. 

343 kits + 49 cats + 7 wifes + 1 man + 1 person making the original statement = 401, then you need to add 1 train driver, 1 conductor, at least one person operating the canteen car (do they still have those on trains?) and if it was a bank holiday weekend a couple of hundred other passengers who aren't allergic to cats

On 8 October 2017 at 17:23, mrsmelly said:

Another stupid invention on a par with reverse parking sensors, how to ensure a bad driver becomes even worse and has a definite accident when the stupid gimmick fails.

I refuse to have a car with reverse parking sensors; not because I think they are a stupid invention but because I came up with the idea for my electronics project when I was 17. I got talked out of building the prototype as I was convinced by other people it was an uneccesary invention and impractical to build, so I ended up building a high speed digital timer instead. I suspect my electronics teacher is now a multi millionaire 

I also worked out a way to stop every car in the country from speeding; didn't bother with an actual design as I realised the government would just prefer to keep fining speeders than stopping them.

9 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

I refuse to have a car with reverse parking sensors; not because I think they are a stupid invention but because I came up with the idea for my electronics project when I was 17. I got talked out of building the prototype as I was convinced by other people it was an uneccesary invention and impractical to build, so I ended up building a high speed digital timer instead. I suspect my electronics teacher is now a multi millionaire 

I also worked out a way to stop every car in the country from speeding; didn't bother with an actual design as I realised the government would just prefer to keep fining speeders than stopping them.

As one of my sons who works for a hitech company in San Francisco once said to me, good, even fantastic, ideas are ten a penny. What is scarce is people who can translate one into a hit product. His company is always on the lookout for these people rather than for the great ideas.

• Greenie 1

On 10/10/2017 at 17:43, Captain Pegg said:

Careful Gents. I hope you haven't made any comments about the historic use of the GU north of Berkhamsted being for pairs of narrowboats rather than wide boats as the subject of mooring will put you on a very sticky wicket.

I will hazard a guess my great granddad moored his pair of (narrow) horse boats in the form a 14' floating obstruction on occasions he had reason to pass that way in the 1890s and 1900s. His cousin was the innkeeper.

JP

I would guess that in your grandads day the cut was better maintained than present day in regard of water depth & protruding foliage so his 14ft traffic stoppers would probably cause a lot less hassle than say a 12'/6"wide traffic stopper that has to moor   3' out from the bank & the rain forest like veg causing more problems on the non towpath side also the mooring spots back then were known/ used by most boaters, so the willy nilly  mooring would be a most unusual occurrence & the steerer's more than likely more skilled at passing a 7' wide boat through a gap only several inches wider & not classing it as a problem Some of today's canal users seem to require a 6ft gap between passing boats so if the moored boat is approx 2 times as wideproblems could arise.The general trend of boat skills & handling has changed out of all recondition the march of shiny boats & dangling fenders now seems the norm

1 hour ago, X Alan W said:

I would guess that in your grandads day the cut was better maintained than present day in regard of water depth & protruding foliage so his 14ft traffic stoppers would probably cause a lot less hassle than say a 12'/6"wide traffic stopper that has to moor   3' out from the bank & the rain forest like veg causing more problems on the non towpath side also the mooring spots back then were known/ used by most boaters, so the willy nilly  mooring would be a most unusual occurrence & the steerer's more than likely more skilled at passing a 7' wide boat through a gap only several inches wider & not classing it as a problem Some of today's canal users seem to require a 6ft gap between passing boats so if the moored boat is approx 2 times as wideproblems could arise.The general trend of boat skills & handling has changed out of all recondition the march of shiny boats & dangling fenders now seems the norm

That's undoubtedly true however as the published dimensions are 12' 6" minimum on this canal it should be maintained for such craft including being able to moor. It isn't the fault of any boater that it isn't.

I would far sooner boat on the sections north of Braunston with a channel clear of vegetation from bank to bank and a wide dredged channel and share it with wide beams than the current scenario of overhanging tress right across the canal and risk putting my cabin top hardware and crew through trees at the slightest movement out of the middle of the channel.

JP