I used an Elsan for the first time today...

Ben69

Featured Posts

I have a soft spot for the smell of Jeyes fluid, memories of washing down greenhouses in the winter all warm and snug hearing the rain on the glass

Very poisonous to cats apparently. Ok for washing down kennels, but not catteries. Don't ask me where I heard this, I've long forgotten.

What's in it? It's quite sort of creosotey, isn't it...

Very poisonous to cats apparently. Ok for washing down kennels, but not catteries. Don't ask me where I heard this, I've long forgotten.

It contains Phenol which is poisonous to cats. However, in the concentrations found in Jeyes Fluid the cat would have to paddle/bath in undiluted Jeyes to have much of an effect. So washing a yard with a Jeyes Fluid diluted solution for instance would likely have no effect even if the cat walked across the yard when it was still wet.

Not great for plants either, mind you it used to be common to winter wash fruit trees with a similar product

It has certain creosote overtones but sharper, mind you I like creosote as well

A pump out was on our list of essentials for our new boat. Found the (almost) perfect boat, except it had a thetford loo. Now I'm so glad we have the thetford because, like mentioned previously, sleeping on top of a tank of of all that stuff, isn't a pleasant thought. I know it's just my 'conditioning'!

My husband is more squeamish than me, so I've volunteered the task of emptying the cassettes. I had no idea how to empty the first one, so I searched on youtube and found a tube that suited. My husband did come with me to empty a fullish cassette for the first time (he sort of hid himself round the corner just in case I got into trouble). Now I go by myself. I'm more embarrassed being caught doing a dirty job, than I am about feeling icky about it.

Like the tube says, after emptying, the cassette gets rinsed several times until clear water runs out, then I rinse out for the last time adding a capful of cheap disinfectant. The cassette then gets 'charged' by adding a scoop of bio powder (like Vanish). I don't wait until it gets full, I try and empty it on the 4th day. 'Nicholson' gets consulted when planning a journey, so I know where the next elsan point is.

It's just like tipping out dirty water, thankfully I haven't seen anything gross, or even any toilet paper. But then I don't 'inspect'!

I might use toilet bleach instead of disinfectant though, when the disinfectant bottle runs out.

As a child, although we had 'inside facilities', our house, dating from the 1600's, still had its 3-seater outside 'arrangement' in a small building attached to the "back-kitchen" / Servants quarters.

The 3-hole plank sat on a brick plinth with 3 small 'arches' (which aligned with the holes) which could be shovelled out nightly (or as required)

Required by whom?

Rabbits eat their own droppings - their stomachs / digestive system only coverts a very small portion of the eaten grass into 'energy', the rest passes thru their gut. The Rabbit will then eat the droppings and extract some of the remaining 'goodness' before passing them thru the gut again.

Saves them having to go trotting across the fields in search of new grass.

Sounds just like eating my wife cooking.

Just to make you laugh my best mates dad was going to empty theres instead he lost his ballance and theew the thing with perfect pension into the other cabin all over the place. Its a fiber thing with cockpit in middle and cabin each end.

My nephew is a CPO on submarines. He told me a story of having to strip the macerator down whilst on patrol. Turned all the valves off and removed the unit when someone opened the wrong valve and he, and 3 artificers, were sprayed with crap. 'Luckily' the showers were next door. He said you could see the outline of four bodies on the walls of the plant room.

Then was the case of U-boat 1206 on 14th April 1945 which was sunk when the wrong valve was turned after Captain Karl-Adolf Schlitt took dump in the head and flooded the sub.

I would also say steer clear of bleach it may even affect the plastic

We have been using "oxygen bleach" for some months now. Works better than bio washing liquid which in turn is better than blue.

• 2 weeks later...

Be very careful of doing that, as it can attack the rubber seals and cause them to jam, and leak!

Also, depending on the fluid you put in your loo, adding bleach can be a very bad idea. Apparently some cassette loo fluids are acidic, so if you add bleach you end up creating chlorine gas and turning your boat into a gas chamber.