I used an Elsan for the first time today...

Ben69

Featured Posts

I'm waiting for M. Rabelais' video on how to wipe your botty using a goose's neck. I imagine that holding the goose firmly and wiping from the head end of the neck downwards, away from the beak, would be essential.

I'm sure your old enough to remember the original Elsanol. Popular in remote cottages, it seemed similar to creosote. Unlike the new Elsan blue, I believe it promoted breaking down of the matter and incorporated an oily film which helped(?) seal the contents beneath, in the galvanised bucket.

The older CRT elsan disposal points still have a very vintage-looking BW sign banning the use of such creosote-based fluids.

MP.

Going back to the original question about how to empty a cassette without squeamishness, I suggest that maybe the OP should think about having one or more children ASAP. Once you've changed a few nappies, emptying cassettes is no big deal. There's a hormone or something that cures you of the problem.

MP.

Re-vamp your Thetford C200 loo?

Video here:

Can you still buy new C200 cassettes without the wheels? they must reduce the capacity by a couple of litres, and I have a trolley for the rare occasions I need to transport the cassette farther than I can comfortably carry it.

Edited by MoominPapa
  • Greenie 2

The older CRT elsan disposal points still have a very vintage-looking BW sign banning the use of such creosote-based fluids.

MP.

Yes, I'm sure that's right. In my limited experience, Elsanol was used in rural cottages where the contents would be deposited in a hole in the ground rather than transported (somehow) to a treatment works. Not sure why it was preferable to an earth closet - which eliminates double-(err)-handling; I suppose it avoids moving the sentry box around the garden but only at the expense of moving the waste.

The earth closet has been reinvented and (of course) renamed, as the composting toilet.

The toilet issue is the one area where there seems to be no support for keeping the Old Traditions alive; should not the HNBC be favourably disposed (geddit!) together with strapping posts and semi-diesels? We now have a generation that views even the cassette as objectionable. Things aren't what they used to be ...(contd on p94)

The toilet issue is the one area where there seems to be no support for keeping the Old Traditions alive; should not the HNBC be favourably disposed (geddit!) together with strapping posts and semi-diesels?

Shurely cr.....

While we are talking about Thetford toilets, I have one in my loft which is free to anyone who wants to collect it from Bradford on Avon. It is an old Porta Potti 265 in that slightly odd pinky beige colour, but is virtually brand new. I aquired it a few years ago as a second spare for the boat, but no longer need it. The only fault is that one of the cassete slide locking tabs has broken off, but the slide still stays in place and sealed with only one locking tab.

If nothing else, it would be a good source of spares, which are now getting hard to find as Thetford are no longer producing any. If anyone is interested please PM me

You are all wrong. You need Biomagic. I was very impressed when at a. boat show we were shown a bucket full of horse muck and there was no smell. We used Biomagic for many years after and was most impressed. No smell and no blue stains

Edited by sueb

You are all wrong. You need Biomagic. I was very impressed when at a. boat show the stall holder lifted the bucket lid to show me the contents. It was full of horse muck and there was no smell. We used Biomagic for many years after and was most impressed. No smell and no blue stains

You are all wrong. You need Biomagic. I was very impressed when at a. boat show the stall holder lifted the bucket lid to show me the contents. It was full of horse muck and there was no smell. We used Biomagic for many years after and was most impressed. No smell and no blue stains

Yes, we heard you the first time, thanks.

Is this product suitable for cassette loos?

I'm waiting for M. Rabelais' video on how to wipe your botty using a goose's neck. I imagine that holding the goose firmly and wiping from the head end of the neck downwards, away from the beak, would be essential.

No no no, body towards head, against the grain of the feathers, penetrative and cleans the creases more effectively. But first train your goose....

Can you still buy new C200 cassettes without the wheels? they must reduce the capacity by a couple of litres, and I have a trolley for the rare occasions I need to transport the cassette farther than I can comfortably carry it.

I looks as though you can not, unless you can find someone with old stock I guess. So refurbishing may be a good thing to do, even if the cost is half that of a new one. I don't think it looses much capacity with the wheels though, but like you I don't want the wheels really.

You are all wrong. You need Biomagic. I was very impressed when at a. boat show we were shown a bucket full of horse muck and there was no smell. We used Biomagic for many years after and was most impressed. No smell and no blue stains

Some people are so gullible !

Typical salesman trick :

Horses are Herbivores and horse muck doesn't particularly smell anyway (its just partly processed grass) totally different consistency and contents to a Omnivore.

Bit like the 'door to door' vacuum salesman that used to show you how dirty your house was by 'adding a bit of 'muck' onto your carpet when you were not looking, and then showing you the contents of his 'bag'.

The toilet issue is the one area where there seems to be no support for keeping the Old Traditions alive; should not the HNBC be favourably disposed (geddit!) together with strapping posts and semi-diesels? We now have a generation that views even the cassette as objectionable. Things aren't what they used to be ...(contd on p94)

You can imagine the outcry if anyone openly advocated it!

I recall a story though that when the GU boats were built in the 30s with a chemical toilet built in, the boatmen thought it was terribly unhygienic keeping the stuff hanging about rather than getting rid of it straight away. The newfangled things didn't last long and the traditional bucket was swiftly resumed.

Edited by Chertsey

You can imagine the outcry if anyone openly advocated it!

I recall a story though that when the GU boats were built in the 30s with a chemical toilet built in, the boatmen thought it was terribly unhygienic keeping the stuff hanging about rather than getting rid of it straight away. The newfangled things didn't last long and the traditional bucket was swiftly resumed.

Gypsy / Travellers will not have a toilet in their caravans - when they buy a new 'van' they take out the toilet. It is considered very unhygienic and unhealthy to have 'sewage; hanging around in your 'house'.

Far better to 'do it in the woods' , or on some unsuspecting Farmers land.

I quite fancy an incinerating toilet.

Or a freezing one (the outhouse )

And there is even a portable toilet which automatically wraps the waste so it can be put in domestic rubbish.

Apparently it is OK to put excreta in standard rubbish. I was a bit shocked to read that huh.png

I have been working on a freeze-mortar type boat toilet but I don't think the idea will take off because it is crap.

Where do you think people put disposable nappies?

Yes, I'm sure that's right. In my limited experience, Elsanol was used in rural cottages where the contents would be deposited in a hole in the ground rather than transported (somehow) to a treatment works. Not sure why it was preferable to an earth closet - which eliminates double-(err)-handling; I suppose it avoids moving the sentry box around the garden but only at the expense of moving the waste.

The earth closet has been reinvented and (of course) renamed, as the composting toilet.

This post just brought a memory flooding back of a stay with a relly in Norfolk who had such an arrangement , this was 50 years ago so probably now ha e s proper loo. Going to the loo also meant dodging their very stroppy goat, It was a nightmare stay, visiting the pub meant crossing 3 fields huh.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

This post just brought a memory flooding back of a stay with a relly in Norfolk who had such an arrangement , this was 50 years ago so probably now ha e s proper loo. Going to the loo also meant dodging their very stroppy goat, It was a nightmare stay, visiting the pub meant crossing 3 fields huh.

Phil

As a child, although we had 'inside facilities', our house, dating from the 1600's, still had its 3-seater outside 'arrangement' in a small building attached to the "back-kitchen" / Servants quarters.

The 3-hole plank sat on a brick plinth with 3 small 'arches' (which aligned with the holes) which could be shovelled out nightly (or as required)