Cheap Stove Fan

rupertbear

Featured Posts

Interestingly the manufacturer, BVG Airflow, has a subsidiary company selling them

http://www.clifford-james.co.uk/buy.cfm/heating/stove-fan/68/yes/145385

So the Aldi one is a good deal

For some reason it wont let the link work if I embed it so copy and paste this

www.clifford-james.co.uk/buy.cfm/heating/stove-fan/68/yes/145385

Edited by Loddon

I bought an Aldi fan. Got it up to speed and put my hand right up to it, felt nothing. I was given the suggestion to blow smoke at it. I did that, the fan did nothing to the smoke at all.

Looks nice though.

For the first time in my life I've bought an ornament.

Edited by Dave_P

I bought an Aldi fan. Got it up to speed and put my hand right up to it, felt nothing. I was given the suggestion to blow smoke at it. I did that, the fan did nothing to the smoke at all.

Looks nice though.

For the first time in my life I've bought an ornament.

Just give the blades a twist to increase the angle and it should start moving air

Top Cat

Has anyone who owns a Peltier device measured the volts and amps on its motor? Or looked for a power rating? My Sterling engine fan spins at 700rpm but draft can oy be felt about 3 inches away. I suspect the power is a tiny fraction of a mains-powered desktop fan.

Edited by mross

Has anyone who owns a Peltier device measured the volts and amps on its motor? Or looked for a power rating? My Sterling engine fan spins at 700rpm but draft can oy be felt about 3 inches away. I suspect the power is a tiny fraction of a mains-powered desktop fan.

Measured one ages ago,it nearly achieved 2 watts!Cosmiclaugh.png

CT

My computer fans use 4W and being ducted are more efficient than an open fan, you can feel the draught about 18" away.

There is a noticeable improvement in the heat distribution when they are running. The down side is they are not as quiet as I would like.

Top Cat

I also missed out on the Aldi offer but ended up trawling through Flea-pay and up that well known river. Dave Payne (#38 & 39) links to an alternative which just happens to be the one I ordered via: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01JGNX9R2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It arrived very promptly via courier at no extra cost in a very strong package. It's maybe a little smaller than expected but should look a better fit on the stove (Villager Chelsea Duo). It is very neat and stylish in black and really looks the part. Unusually, it has a three blade fan while others around seem to be two or four. Unfortunately the sun came out as soon as it arrived so no excuse to have the stove on and try it out in anger. But, as reported elsewhere, it also has a USB input so can be used independent of the Peltier. I've tried it out on the table and it is very quiet and I can feel the airflow at least six feet (in old money) in front of the blades. Sort of looking forward to colder weather now - how sad is that? The boat has a bad case of heat zones - you can have cold feet while sitting but stand up and faint from the heat up there - really want to see how the fan stirs up the really hot zone.

The impression that I've had of these fans is that the intention is just to disrupt the 'thermal' of hot air that would just go from the top of the stove to the ceiling of the boat (and out through the mushrooms) to be replaced by the cold air coming in through the vents so you would normally have a hot head and cold feethuh.png .

The fan we have came with the boat so I have no real vested interest one way or the other since it is no loss to me if they don't work but we seemed to find that more of the boat gets warm with the fan running than when it isn't. The question I have always tended to ask is how Ecofan justify the price they charge for it. To build one yourself from a computer heat sink, a small electric motor with fan and a peltier unit (details on You Tube) would probably cost about a tenner so Aldi are still making a reasonable mark up on .their product, Ecofan however must be making an absolute killing when the economies of scale of production are taken into account. Even on that well known river seller they go for £55