Sailing?

churchward

Featured Posts

I know this subject is not canal related but it is a general boating subject. However should the mods think it right I am happy for it to move elsewhere.

I have been learning to sail this summer ( I am a late developer I guess) and very much enjoying it. I have got to the stage where I would like a boat of my own. I shall be looking to be a reasonably priced 2nd hand boat for now at least. I am not likely to spend more than around £2000 hopefully less.

I have learnt in a 14ft Wanderer mainly and also used a Wayfarer ( a few times) and an Albacore (once)

So I know we are mostly NB and GRP cruiser and canal orientated but hopefully there are some sailors out there who could offer some recommendations of a 14/16ft Dinghy that will suitable for lake sailing (maybe offshore). I live in North Wales only 15 mins from Bala lake and not much longer to other lakes and reservoirs such as Llyn Brenig. So plenty of choice for places to go, I am not interested in racing and want a stable easy boat for some fun with friends and family, more of a cruiser than racer I think.

Most people seem to recommend a Wayfarer and I would be happy with one having tried the type but are there alternatives?

GP14 are quite stable, almost as fast as an Enterprise. If a heavier steel centre board is substituted for the light wooden one it will make them more stable. A steel board can be cut out using the wooden one as a template. Other similar boats are the Torch, Bosun and others, which can also be fitted with a heavy steel centre board. If you've sailed an Albacore which are quite nippy and a bit tippy these should be fine.

Choose one not with centre main sheeting which is really for racing when you don't reef but just spill wind if overpowered. You can't roll the sail around the boom to reef the sail of a centre main sheeted boat in strong winds. Choose one with end of boom swivel main-sheet to transom so that you can roll the sail around the boom as much as you like to shorten sail.

Edited by bizzard

It's a shame you aren't a bit closer because I have a Wanderer sitting in South Devon doing nothing whilst I'm cruising the canal systemcool.png . That would also give my first preference for the sort of boat you are looking for to be a Wanderer. Wayfarers are good solid sea boats but the downside is that they are heavy to haul up the slipway. I'm also not that impressed by the steel centre boards. They make the boat heavy and should you capsize (hopefully not!) there needs to be some system to stop them retracting back into the centre board case otherwise you'll struggle to right the boat again (masthead buoyancy could also achieve this).

Thanks all for the comments. I will see what I can find out about GP14s and Enterprise. I do like the Wanderer I have been learning on but folk keep saying the Wayfarer is the better boat which I have tried and like too. I am a bit wary of its weight though and many do say it isn't easy to launch or retrieve. I have not tried righting one in the water either but I did OK with the Wanderer.

I do quite fancy a bit of sea adventure with a bit of close in cruise when I get more experienced so a bigger and stable boat would be good for that I suppose.

It's a shame you aren't a bit closer because I have a Wanderer sitting in South Devon doing nothing whilst I'm cruising the canal systemcool.png . That would also give my first preference for the sort of boat you are looking for to be a Wanderer. Wayfarers are good solid sea boats but the downside is that they are heavy to haul up the slipway. I'm also not that impressed by the steel centre boards. They make the boat heavy and should you capsize (hopefully not!) there needs to be some system to stop them retracting back into the centre board case otherwise you'll struggle to right the boat again (masthead buoyancy could also achieve this).

You'd have up and a down haul tackles for a steel board with quick action jamb or cam cleats. Normally an up wind capsize is fairly gentle and should give time for the crew to cleat the board off in the down position. A capsize caused by a badly performed gybe in a strong wind is another matter.

Hi,

My nephew has a couple of GP14, one plywood and the other GRP, the former is on the lakes at South Cerney and the other used for estuary sailing in South Devon, both are excellent and trailable.

My brother had a GP for some years.

Nice looking boats, the GRP one seems to have a faster sailing spec.

Not sure of prices, I think he picked the timber one for about £1600 (it was in excellent condition) about 2 years ago.

Hope that helps.

L

Canal boating and sailing aren't mutually exclusive. Wayfarers are lovely boats and you would get something quite reasonable for your budget. Tons of space and stability but can get a good lick on. Get a boom tent and they're also great camping boats. GRP GP14s would be cheaper but are decent boats too. No matter how lovely they look, say no to a Merlin Rocket (think Lotus for style and hassle). The Laser 16/2000/Stratos stable seem to look good boats but never sailed one. If you're not going for dinghy racing your budget would easily get a small trailer sailer, a dinghy with a lid. Selway Fisher range, West Wight Potter 15, Sunspot etc all come in around half a ton which is easy enough to launch

Have a look at the Drascombe range the Dabber and the Lugger would be a step up from the Wayfarer and they are good sea boats with a balanced rig.

Hi

I am a senior sailing instructor with 40 years exp [ poss out of date]

I would recommend the drascombe dabber

Good capacity , stable and 3 or more sails to play with, also small out board

Good alround boat /well built

Can be used on sea /large and small lakes /canals also camping

Tow-able with average car

Check it has full built in bouyancy VERY IMPORTANT

The last sailing boat I owend [ miss it ]

Dave

You've already hit on my favourites! You are a lucky bugger having lake Bala so close by, what a cracking place to sail!

Price and condition rule, I really fancied an Enterprise a few years ago but dragged my feet and missed an opportunity - I don't have time now sadly.

I did my RYA dinghy sailing in Wayfarers on the Exe, great boat's that always command good money.

The GP14 is a good looking boat that I'd consider too.

Go for GRP though, we had a wooden heron that became fit only for the fire :(

Grp boats will have their issues - especially hard used boats, but on the whole are less maintenance intensive, they don't feel as nice to handle as a wooden boat Though.

Good luck in your search for the right one

No one has mentioned a Mirror Dinghy yet:

mirror-dinghy-sailing.jpg

Easy to sail both with a crew and single handed. They can either be towed or carried upside down on the roof of a car. Being gaff rigged all the spars fit in the boat itself when transporting it. Very difficult to capsize unlike the Enterprise, known as "Enterflip" when I raced them.

I did the Mirror Nationals at Troon and Looe many, many years ago and they are good little sea boats, oodles of built in bouyancy.

You could also be daring and get one of these boat.gif (This is in jest BTW)

Me in my miss spent 20's

Edited by Ray T

Have a look at the Drascombe range the Dabber and the Lugger would be a step up from the Wayfarer and they are good sea boats with a balanced rig.

I would second this suggestion. Stable, dry, easy to handle. I actually sailed one on Bala. Indeed it was the only time I got my mother in law in a boat.

In the late 1980's I had a John Elliott built wooden Drascombe Lugger. Seemingly it was fairly rare, Sufficiently rare for some b------ to steal it out of a locked compound at a sailing club where I kept it. Soon afterwards I saw an advert in a sailing mag from someone in Holland looking to buy one. The timing was right and I've often wondered if it was stolen to order.

You've already hit on my favourites! You are a lucky bugger having lake Bala so close by, what a cracking place to sail!

Price and condition rule, I really fancied an Enterprise a few years ago but dragged my feet and missed an opportunity - I don't have time now sadly.

I did my RYA dinghy sailing in Wayfarers on the Exe, great boat's that always command good money.

The GP14 is a good looking boat that I'd consider too.

Go for GRP though, we had a wooden heron that became fit only for the fire sad.png

Grp boats will have their issues - especially hard used boats, but on the whole are less maintenance intensive, they don't feel as nice to handle as a wooden boat Though.

Good luck in your search for the right one

I do feel lucky with Bala close by it has been a great place to learn to sail and with so many other lakes and reservoirs close by in Wales it seemed a logical thing to do to think about getting a boat for next summer.

I love the idea of a tour around Anglesey with a dinghy some folk I met did that a couple of years ago but at the moment I am nervous of doing that. I will get a load of more hours on the fresh water lakes before I think more seriously about that.

• Greenie 1

I would second this suggestion. Stable, dry, easy to handle. I actually sailed one on Bala. Indeed it was the only time I got my mother in law in a boat.

In the late 1980's I had a John Elliott built wooden Drascombe Lugger. Seemingly it was fairly rare, Sufficiently rare for some b------ to steal it out of a locked compound at a sailing club where I kept it. Soon afterwards I saw an advert in a sailing mag from someone in Holland looking to buy one. The timing was right and I've often wondered if it was stolen to order.

I agree about the Drascombe Lugger which is an ideal boat either for fun sailing on the lake or for more adventurous coastal pottering. I would also suggest another favourite of mine - the Falmouth Bass Boat which is easy to rig, stable and comfortable.

Howard

Hi

I am a senior sailing instructor with 40 years exp [ poss out of date]

I would recommend the drascombe dabber

Good capacity , stable and 3 or more sails to play with, also small out board

Good alround boat /well built

Can be used on sea /large and small lakes /canals also camping

Tow-able with average car

Check it has full built in bouyancy VERY IMPORTANT

The last sailing boat I owend [ miss it ]

Dave

Thanks to you and others that have recommended Drascombe boats I will have a look. I have heard of them but thought they may be a bit big for lakes I have seen a picture of a Lugger I thought it looked very nice.

Great picture. I too used to sail a Fireball in my youth. I have just taken up dinghy sailing again this year,and its great.

You could also look at the Miracle (bigger version of the popular Mirror). As well as sailing, I would find a boat that is easliy rowable and would take a small outboard.

I do feel lucky with Bala close by it has been a great place to learn to sail and with so many other lakes and reservoirs close by in Wales it seemed a logical thing to do to think about getting a boat for next summer.

I love the idea of a tour around Anglesey with a dinghy some folk I met did that a couple of years ago but at the moment I am nervous of doing that. I will get a load of more hours on the fresh water lakes before I think more seriously about that.

We had the land boat there in July:

Sailed the Fireball there at open meetings on many an occasion.

Also "did" The Red Wharf Bay long distance race around part of Anglesey a couple of times.

Edited by Ray T