What is suitable and what isn't....

matty40s

Featured Posts

We all love the variety and colours of boats on the canals, it is one of the things that makes us all want to be here.

However, is there a limit to what is acceptable, what is sensible, and what just shouldn't be on these waters??

Recently discussed has been the emergence of Porto K'abeen on the GU....

20160730_174519_zpsamtaliev.jpg

20160730_174548_zpsstoksmxx.jpg

On Friday, another craft appeared, lovely lines, yes, and history, but suitable for a 3 foot muddy ditch with arched bridges???? (the wheelhouse is not collapsible, twin engines, 9'6" beam...)

20160819_140331_zpssmq15zih.jpg

Thoughts....

Porto K'abeen is horrible, tasteless.

Is it allowed on that canal, given it's air draft?

The other boat is looks OK, but is probably going nowhere.

I really don't understand why??? for either of them.

Edited by Tiggs

My thoughts are that you are an awful snob

quite surprised at that one.

I was talking about suitability, not aesthetics.

The first one is angular and the steerer position only just gets their head above the roof, and also will put at risk 250 year old bridges with its cabin top front edges.

The second one is a lovely vessel, built for offshore cruising and having served during the war off the South coast. It is wholly unsuitable for a canal given that the bridges will probably demolish the front rail a few moments before the cabin and the twin engines will drag the back end into the silt.

Edited by matty40s

For the first one I'd like to see a D*** Good risk analysis on what to do if there is a fire.

Was moored by the Galleon in Wolverton a little while ago and there seemed to be no way out except for the front doors.

(Also dark and gloomy inside but that's personal taste).

Considering the (alleged) number of CMers / Non-movers on the cut is two more going to make any difference ?

If you CANNOT meet the 'movement' requirements is that 'allowed in the circumstances' ?

They might both have home moorings!

• Greenie 1

For the first one I'd like to see a D*** Good risk analysis on what to do if there is a fire.

Was moored by the Galleon in Wolverton a little while ago and there seemed to be no way out except for the front doors.

(Also dark and gloomy inside but that's personal taste).

There is a square hatch cut into the rear wall, just above the platform, how easily this opens from inside, I have no idea. Someone must have passed its safety cert to get its licence (doesn't seem to be much ventilation either).

Considering the (alleged) number of CMers / Non-movers on the cut is two more going to make any difference ?

If you CANNOT meet the 'movement' requirements is that 'allowed in the circumstances' ?

The second boat has been bought by existing long term canal dwellers with a long term permanent mooring.

In terms of suitability for cruising the cut then neither qualify. Aesthetically the wooden boat is the winner for me.

The winner however of what makes the most practical and spacious houseboat/liveaboard then the container boat is probably it.

It takes all sorts.

Not a very logical argument though is it?

Just these two more until there are another two more and another and another and so on. Unless you are saying it is just these two and no more ever?

If you CANNOT meet the movement requirements of having a licence without a home mooring you should either get a home mooring or they should not get a licence and be told to leave.

The container was built here at Willowbridge Marina and I spoke to the guy building re: low bridges and he said that he had measured this carefully and made templates etc so there shouldn't be any issues :) I wondered how far it had got since it left Willowbriddge :)

The container was built here at Willowbridge Marina and I spoke to the guy building re: low bridges and he said that he had measured this carefully and made templates etc so there shouldn't be any issues smile.png I wondered how far it had got since it left Willowbriddge smile.png

So, the owner thinks that the water under bridges contains no debris and that precise steering is possible in cross winds.

If I were CRT chief civil engineer, I think I would want to get rid of this boat from the system before it did any damage. It has sort of bridge guards on it but they leave the strong corners of the box exposed.

So, the owner thinks that the water under bridges contains no debris and that precise steering is possible in cross winds.

If I were CRT chief civil engineer, I think I would want to get rid of this boat from the system before it did any damage. It has sort of bridge guards on it but they leave the strong corners of the box exposed.

Yes. CRT need to do something swiftly in order to contain the problem.