Stolen narrowboat - Chilton [***found***]

malcolmm

Featured Posts

Hmm. Perhaps I'd better take down my Youtube clip showing how to do over twenty operations before the Kelvin will start.

Also I've got a clip showing how to start a Seffle. I seem to remember the most difficult operation was to get the blowlamp to light!

Depends on the "Seffle" mine was glow plug & air start, but there was a certain "knack to getting it to start & run in the correct direction. As said in post # 192 your average " tea leaf" would take a quick look & walk away

Following one attempted and one successful break in a number of years ago, we took action to secure the boat better.

Next time they went in via a window (smashed) obviously. If someone wants to enter a boat,they will.

Any updates on the Alledged culprit?

Same with houses.....my mothers house has multipoint door locks...window locks...double glazing etc....when it was broken into they simply used a centre punch on the back door glass according to SOCO...then climbed through....

All you can do is to make your property a bit harder to get in than someone else's sadly.

Cheers

Gareth

All you can do is to make your property a bit harder to get in than someone else's sadly.

Cheers

Gareth

Same technique I use when I go somewhere where there are bears. I'm pretty sure I can't outrun a bear, so I always take my wife... who I can outrun. ;)

• Greenie 1

Well actually, the case you mention (Holly) is actually in SECOND place of all the cases that CWDF has ever discussed.

There has been a single case where the theft (apparently) succeeded, namely "Que Sera Sera", which was never recovered.

And I read in one of the Waterways Mags that Braunston Marina bought and sold a stolen Narrowboat several years ago.

But how would a thief power an angle grinder if boat was on the towpath? Even in a marina he would need a blue plug. Was the padlock a high security rating? Padlocks can be shielded to make access impossible.

Tho OP said they picked the Yale I think you will fined.

@ditchcrawler I was responding to post #197. As we used to say at school, "stop picking up fag ends" :-)

ETA Sorry, I didn't mean to be quite so rude!

Thats OK, just shows why he didn't need a genny, blue plug or a battery powered grinder.

I have two of that exact product here from when I was testing various gps trackers for a business venture, they do work but have a few downsides in the way they use their gps sensor and gprs data connection which means that they kill their battery very quickly even if you set them up for minimal use, they manage 6-8 hours compared to other (externally almost identical) ones that will get 50+ hours out of the same battery

Did you find an alternative which you could recommend?

On the subject of trackers, the two problems in a steel leisure narrowboat are where to put it so it can see the sky, and how to power it indefinitely.

I'd have thought on the roof, underneath a solar panel would be ideal. I'd imagine it would be able to see the satelites through the panel, and could be powered by, hidden by and protected from weather by the panel iteslf.

• Greenie 1

On the subject of trackers, the two problems in a steel leisure narrowboat are where to put it so it can see the sky, and how to power it indefinitely.

I'd have thought on the roof, underneath a solar panel would be ideal. I'd imagine it would be able to see the satelites through the panel, and could be powered by, hidden by and protected from weather by the panel iteslf.

I know of a few fitted to narrowboats in various locations, for power they are hooked into the boats 12v and will use their onboard battery for backup power only (so you get 16-60 hours use (depending on settings) after power has been cut off)

mounting places that I know have been used.

1. under cruiser stern deck boards

2. in the wooden frame at the bottom of a window

3. inside a throttle / gear housing

4. inside a light fitting mounted on the underside of the top plank / cratch

5. inside a navigation light

6. inside a tunnel light (plastic cased)

7. inside a waterproof electrical box (mounted next to shoreline connector)

8. inside a waterproof container embedded within stern fender

9. within a wooden hand rail

10. within a wooden support for gangplank / poles etc

note that these are only the locations that I know have been used, there will be plenty more that I don't know about

Same with houses.....my mothers house has multipoint door locks...window locks...double glazing etc....when it was broken into they simply used a centre punch on the back door glass according to SOCO...then climbed through....

Cheers

Gareth

No alarm?

Tim

Following one attempted and one successful break in a number of years ago, we took action to secure the boat better.

Next time they went in via a window (smashed) obviously. If someone wants to enter a boat,they will.

Any updates on the Alledged culprit?

Watched the first series of Happy Valley last night (Boxset) where the baddie was shown easily breaking into a narrowboat :-(

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Really? If any of my neighbours' house alarms go off I do check around the exterior to see if anything is amiss (even at night). My house might be next. I think house burglars will not linger when a loud siren is going off. My house alarm is radio monitored and alarm company will call my key holders and police WILL attend.

My boat alarm will phone me and text me, so I use it when I'm going to be fairly close by, say, down the pub or shopping.

Solar powered gps trackers are available.

Like this one http://www.treehugger.com/gadgets/solar-powered-micro-gps-tracking-device-keeps-tabs-just-about-anything.html for example.

Edited by Mutts

The project was 'fully funded' in Nov 2013 but now 'closed' so I guess it never actually went into production? You can preorder for delivery in Q2 2016, but that has passed!

My house alarm is radio monitored and alarm company will call my key holders and police WILL attend.

Then you're fortunate in your area. My next door neighbour's alarm went off in the small hours recently. They were away on holiday and my daughter, home alone, rang the police. They asked whether she could see anyone breaking in, which unsurprisingly she couldn't from her window about 100 yards away in the dark, and then said they don't respond to domestic alarms and so they wouldn't attend unless she did. She slept well for the rest of that night! :(

There was a detailed description of the (alleged?) thief several pages ago, but nothing since. Was he ever actually caught? People are putting this together with the theft of the boat from Mercia Marina, and though that does sound slightly far-fetched there might at least be some link as the modus operandi is very similar.

Tam

Then you're fortunate in your area. My next door neighbour's alarm went off in the small hours recently. They were away on holiday and my daughter, home alone, rang the police. They asked whether she could see anyone breaking in, which unsurprisingly she couldn't from her window about 100 yards away in the dark, and then said they don't respond to domestic alarms and so they wouldn't attend unless she did. She slept well for the rest of that night! sad.png

A house alarm going off is a matter for the local council's environmental health noise team. They have powers to disable alarms and even use a locksmith to gain entry. They will ask you to sign a form stating the length of time the alarm has been sounding. Of course, due to funding cuts, fewer and fewer councils offer an out of hours service of this type, so in practice, you're often on your own.

A house alarm going off is a matter for the local council's environmental health noise team. They have powers to disable alarms and even use a locksmith to gain entry. They will ask you to sign a form stating the length of time the alarm has been sounding. Of course, due to funding cuts, fewer and fewer councils offer an out of hours service of this type, so in practice, you're often on your own.

Well they're not gonna keep the public safe at 3am or catch a burglar, so it makes one wonder what an alarm is for?

27 July 2016

CANAL & RIVER TRUST TEAM HELPS TRACK DOWN STOLEN BOAT

Two people working in the Canal & River Trust’s enforcement team have helped reunite a stolen boat with its rightful owner after they spotted something suspicious in their boat sightings. The boat owner and the Trust have praised data checker Nathan Arries and enforcement officer Liz Sollars for their initiative and support.

The alarm was raised when Nathan spotted an unidentified boat displaying only a name and sent in the details to the local team. When Liz was looking over the sightings, she realized there was only one boat of that name on the Trust’s database, and called the owner to check if it was the same craft. While the owner was describing the boat, and how it was currently in a marina, it became obvious that it was the same vessel. Someone had taken it from the marina, and was now cruising away with it.

The theft was reported to the police and Liz put all the Trust’s local teams, from enforcement to customer service to the people working on the canal, on high alert. Nathan followed up a lead the owner had passed on and, confirming that it was the same boat, waited for the police and the rightful owner to get there. With the boat returned, the police are now searching for the thief.

Paul Griffin, enforcement operations manager at the Canal & River Trust, said: “It’s great that this story has a happy ending and the boat has found its way back home. I’d like to say a big thank you to Nathan and Liz for pulling out all the stops to track down and return the vessel to its rightful owner. Our team’s presence on the bank can be vital in situations like this. Boat thefts are, thankfully, rare and we do everything we can to support boaters. If a vessel goes missing we’d encourage boaters to tell the police in the first instance, and to get in touch with their local enforcement team so we can work together to try and track down the boat safely.”

Details for the enforcement team can be found here: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/licensing-your-boat/enforcement

ENDS

--------------------------------------------

Fran Read

National Press Officer

M 07796 610 427

Canal & River Trust, Toll House, Delamere Terrace, London, W2 6ND

Twitter: @CRTComms