How early can I start cruising tomorrow?

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

It's a question I've always wondered and never thought to ask. Obviously you can't run engines for charging batteries until 8am but when is it ok to start cruising. Or does it not really matter? I've seen boats travel all sorts of times?

It's a question I've always wondered and never thought to ask. Obviously you can't run engines for charging batteries until 8am but when is it ok to start cruising. Or does it not really matter? I've seen boats travel all sorts of times?

Simple. If you don't stop you can't break the rule. ?

Actually there is no rule; nothing to stop you cruising at any time (insurance permitting).

JP

ETA - that was ruined by beaten to it by Rob!

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

5! I could never get up at 5! I feel like death warmed up until 6.30 which is as early as I would ever leave.

I'd be surprised if no one had a go at me for starting before 7. But good to know I can get going earlier. Whether I actually will tomorrow I don't know.

It's a tough call. One lock or a 20 minute lay in!

What makes you think there are limits on when you may cruise?

There are none. Set off whenever you like. 1.00am is a nice time to cruise in my experience if there is a full moon.

Prepare everything first. Start the engine just as you cast off - any time.

^^^This^^^

Good advice.

Don't be a nuisance cruising at night. Keep moving on and pass moored boats even slower than you would in daylight to avoid disturbing them.

When I lived in London we used to do Midnight Cruises up The Regents and bang on the back window of The Chinese Takeway whose front door was on Harrow Road.

They'd pass you order sideways through the iron bars.

I worked shifts including nights and bridge watch keeping at sea for 42 years and, now retired, I am of the opinion that bed is the place to be when it,s the wee small hours and dark o'clock outdoors. However I was up at 5 this morning allowing the dog to attend to her toilet and I have to say it was rather nice. Midway between Braunston and Wigrams Turn out in the Boonies.

Here we are on the go at 0500 this weekend.

dscf8161.jpg

This is what i should be doing right now, each and every day. I'd have my silk scarf gently blowing in the early morning breeze and a flask of coffee (with a hint of water) by my side.

Stop living my dreams :(

I would not mind being woken early by another boater so long as they did not rev their engine excessively. I can start my trad and snick it straight into 'ahead' and pootle off with little smoke, noise or wash. It really is fun to be out at first light and plough through the morning mist. You can see deer and other wildlife that are normally too shy.

I worked shifts including nights and bridge watch keeping at sea for 42 years and, now retired, I am of the opinion that bed is the place to be when it,s the wee small hours and dark o'clock outdoors. However I was up at 5 this morning allowing the dog to attend to her toilet and I have to say it was rather nice. Midway between Braunston and Wigrams Turn out in the Boonies.

The view from my bedroom at 5-30 this morning.

post-261-0-39421800-1468940377_thumb.jpg

• Greenie 1