At a lock today...

Ricco1

Featured Posts

I did think he was being an arse but thought I'd check back here to see if my relative inexperience had clouded my vision. I will generally offer to help where I can. If a similar bokle turns up though, I'll tell him he's an arse.

Your vision must have been clouded at Booth Lane on Tuesday when you reversed the lock in front of a boat (not mine) approaching from the opposite direction. Still, there were smiles all round as you went on your way and nobody died.

^^^ is what I was trying to get across - yet again someone else was able to do it using far less words and more eloquently:clapping:

Here - have my last greenie of the day :)

Your version was much better, have a greenie back.

Rog :)

Sometimes I think I'd drive the majority of you all nuts by the way we cruise...

1) I often forget that not everyone cruises like we do, more often than not we don't have a "set destination" for the day, we cruise till we want to moor up then we start looking for a spot to moor. We are Never in a rush (unless the red light is on and we need a pump out before the nearest marina closes) sick.gif

2) More often than not we offer assistance with paddles and/or gates at locks to single handler's whether they are ahead or behind us. Most times it's met with a heartfelt welcome, on rare occasion it's been declined, no big deal either way to us

3) I never rush into or out of a lock, I'm still a bit of a chicken around other boats and always take my time

4) If I'm going at a speed I'm comfortable with I won't speed up no matter how close up my arse end you come, but as soon as I get on a straight stretch I'll move over to you can easily and safely pass by (this has only happened once - miserable ol' basrag)judge.gif

5) You may be moored in the middle of nowhere and enjoying your seclusion , but if we've already called it a day and your on Armco be prepared to have neighbors for the night - we will try to leave a boats length between ushug.gif

6) We shut all lock gates & paddles unless - otherwise instructed to do so on the gate / there is a boat coming in the opposite direction / we are on a canalized river where custom & practice dictates that exit gates are to remain openboat.gif

7) And then just to add insult to injury, on hot summer days I normally set a bowl of filtered water out the side hatch for any passing dogs or cats to help themselves to

9) AND YES, I do throw my veg peelings into the cut for the fish, ducks, swans & turtles

There I feel better now tongue.png

Most of this is fine but for the last item. Got any evidence that your veg peelings actually get eaten? I'd rather not see old vegetables floating about rotting in the cut for three months thank you. Why can't you put them in the bin or chuck them in the hedge? ;)

I've seen one on the Lower Peak Forest Canal

I've seen terrapins (indeed we have one which regularly clambers on to one the tyres on our landing stage to bask) but never a turtle.

To Bill (quote button isn't working)

I think I remember going through that lock, there were 2 boats coming up, including an ex. BW workboat. Is that the one you were referring to?

I've tried to cast my mind back to what happened there, it's sketchy. I recall one of the boats being in a hurry, the one behind I think. Id be really grateful if you could explain what I could have done differently in order to make progress through the lock a happier experience for all. Genuine request this, I'm in no hurry to go anywhere, I'd prefer to sit back and let everyone do their thing then do mine. I don't want to be seen as an arse on the canal.

Cheers.

I've been told there are terrapins in the Nottm/Beeston canal somewhere near Boots but I've never seen one. If it's true I'm a bit worried about them with all the construction work going on around there though I suppose they would have moved to a quieter spot when the diggers arrived

To Bill (quote button isn't working)

I think I remember going through that lock, there were 2 boats coming up, including an ex. BW workboat. Is that the one you were referring to?

I've tried to cast my mind back to what happened there, it's sketchy. I recall one of the boats being in a hurry, the one behind I think. Id be really grateful if you could explain what I could have done differently in order to make progress through the lock a happier experience for all. Genuine request this, I'm in no hurry to go anywhere, I'd prefer to sit back and let everyone do their thing then do mine. I don't want to be seen as an arse on the canal.

Cheers.

Yes that one, Booth Lane middle lock. There were two boats in the pound below, one had almost got to the lock when you started filling it for yourself. I expect it was because you hadn't seen the nearer boat with the bridge in the way. Usual procedure is one up ,one down depending on lock full or empty ,so here, it would be first of the two coming up , then you , then second comer up . The main reason for this is to save water. Like I said , it is of little consequence in the greater scheme of things, just check down (or up) the canal for oncoming traffic.No worries.

Ah right thanks for that. As I said my memory of it is a bit sketchy. I certainly wouldn't have filled the lock if it was empty, and I'd seen another boat approaching. I guess I should make more of an effort to look beyond any bridges or other things that obstruct my views, in the future. Nice boat by the way!

I've been told there are terrapins in the Nottm/Beeston canal somewhere near Boots but I've never seen one. If it's true I'm a bit worried about them with all the construction work going on around there though I suppose they would have moved to a quieter spot when the diggers arrived

plenty of terrapins on the ashby, think we counted 5 on our last trip up there.

There are Terrapins in the Regents Canal and the River Lea.

Yes indeed, but I haven't seen a turtle in a British canal, though the creature in the above photo could well be one.

(Turtles have fins or flippers, terrapins have feet. The reptile in the photo appears to have been moving its legs at the time, so it's not quite clear which it is).

It's perhaps worth mentioning that terrapins (particularly the American red-eared terrapin) are an invasive species:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-wildlife/the-rogues-gallery/terrapin

This article does say that our cooler climate means they're unlikely to breed here, but of course they do have a long lifespan so I think the terrapins released in the late 1980s during the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles craze could be around for many years yet. On the other hand, the adults prefer more sunshine than our climate provides, so even in the south life is difficult for them.

It's perhaps worth mentioning that terrapins (particularly the American red-eared terrapin) are an invasive species:

Yes, of course, and so, I guess, are tortoises, but they invade very slowly.

Surely turtles aren't native to these islands either?

I don't know whether the Mutant Ninja Turtles craze reached France, but we saw a red-eared terrapin swimming in the Canal de Garonne when we were over there last month.

Yes indeed, but I haven't seen a turtle in a British canal, though the creature in the above photo could well be one.

(Turtles have fins or flippers, terrapins have feet. The reptile in the photo appears to have been moving its legs at the time, so it's not quite clear which it is).

It was definitely not moving it's legs, it was dead, and had been for some time. If you look closely, something had eaten the meat off its tail. I think it has claws, I will check next time I have the laptop on, as the image is larger there.

Just fired up the laptop. It has clawed feet, so a terrapin then?

Yes, in all likelihood a red-eared terrapin. These were sold as "turtles" during the aforementioned craze.

Oddly enough I'd had one in the mid-'60s, bought at Cambridge market many years before they became fashionable, but it had long since departed for reptile Heaven by the time the Ninja thing came on telly.

Yesterday, single handed, I shouted at a person with his hands on the windlass ready to drop the paddles as I drew into the lock. I had no idea who he was - he must have been 7 or 8 years old...

Really? I generally find the paddles (at the far end at least) need to be down already, before I can enter the lock!