Watch out for this Biggie...

matty40s

Featured Posts

Another new widebeam to add to the Lee & Stort , all 60 x 12' of it. Launched Thursday and has set off now, although was almost sunk in the first 100 yards by a fully loaded Towcester and butty as they struggled to get to grips with the wheel steering.

20160630_100926_zpsf7z8rbdz.jpg

They weren't aware of which way was London and weren't aware that they had to book passage through Blisworth Tunnel........I think they were planning a night passage from conversations.

Some of the design of this boat is , frankly , dangerous, and other observations show why these are so cheap.

A

Edited by matty40s

To be fair, it isn't red and gold and the door goes all the way to the top. Otherwise, that bow does bear a striking resemblance to a certain notorious vessel which kept popping up on eBay some time ago.

How inconvenient to have to thread your bow rope through a hole!

Front fender unlikely to protect either boat or lock gates more than one or two locks. Front ropes through holes directly above bow thruster. Wee hatch just about big enough to get your hand through. ...whether big enough to pull rubbish out...probably not. Tunnel light probably loses most of its light to the front deck. Bow thruster tube rusting already and not blacked, mesh held on with cable clips.

Bilge pump pool sticks out almost 2 below baseplate with no protection....

20160630_100221_zpsq24tlmb3.jpg

Edited by matty40s

Front fender unlikely to protect either boat or lock gates more than one or two locks. Front ropes through holes directly above bow thruster. Wee hatch just about big enough to get your hand through. ...whether big enough to pull rubbish out...probably not. Tunnel light probably loses most of its light to the front deck. Bow thruster tube rusting already and not blacked, mesh held on with cable clips.

Bilge pump pool sticks out almost 2 below baseplate with no protection....

20160630_100221_zpsq24tlmb3.jpg

I'm struggling to interpret what we are looking at there.

What's the bit to the bottom right, and is it actually attached to the boat, as it seems to be lower than the baseplate.

I know bugger all about welding, but as it looks in the picture, in some places there appears to be a distinct lack of it!

Wee hatch just about big enough to get your hand through. ...

..... and I though sea toilets wre outlawed many years ago!

Are those deck drain holes? They seem very close to the waterline

Richard

The front ones look like gas drain holes from a forward locker and the ones further back well deck drains.

The gas locker for sure will be permanently have a wet floor if it moves. Not uncommon but they seem particularly close to the water line definitely.

Another new widebeam to add to the Lee & Stort , all 60 x 12' of it. Launched Thursday and has set off now, although was almost sunk in the first 100 yards by a fully loaded Towcester and butty as they struggled to get to grips with the wheel steering.

They weren't aware of which way was London and weren't aware that they had to book passage through Blisworth Tunnel........I think they were planning a night passage from conversations.

Some of the design of this boat is , frankly , dangerous, and other observations show why these are so cheap.

A

Passed this at Bugbrook Thursday. Well saying that we waited for them to come through the narrow stretch on the approach to the pub. Seemed freindly guys. Good luck to them.

Where did it get dropped into the GU?

Edited to say ignore that question I should have worked that out...doh. :)

Edited by bassplayer

I'm struggling to interpret what we are looking at there.

What's the bit to the bottom right, and is it actually attached to the boat, as it seems to be lower than the baseplate.

I know bugger all about welding, but as it looks in the picture, in some places there appears to be a distinct lack of it!

It's the skeg I think to the right, with the boxy bit being a sump for the bilge pump. It does look a bit vulnerable there!

"Ok, guys, its going well. By keeping a low profile on the subject, the numbers of widebeams is rocketing upwards. But we need to hold our nerve. We wait until our funding is cut back and then we introduce licence charging by area instead of length, playing the shortage of cash card. This will give us a sizeable boost in income without risking discouraging their production too soon.

Remember, no leaks to the media and no mention in emails as they have a nasty habit of becoming public."

A

Well, it's not to my taste. But then again, it's not my home either.

It does make me feel a bit better about the "look" of our front end wink.png

I would agree with the suggestion that the holes closet to the front cabin are the front well drains and the ones closet to the bow are the gas locker drains.

As others have stated I don't care for the set up of the front ropes

I'm a bit thicker than some...is it a Liverpool built boat? And nor can I figure out where it was launched...Braunston?

Hope they are happy with their new home and make it safely to where ever they are heading

Well, it's not to my taste. But then again, it's not my home either.

It does make me feel a bit better about the "look" of our front end wink.png

I would agree with the suggestion that the holes closet to the front cabin are the front well drains and the ones closet to the bow are the gas locker drains.

As others have stated I don't care for the set up of the front ropes

I'm a bit thicker than some...is it a Liverpool built boat? And nor can I figure out where it was launched...Braunston?

Hope they are happy with their new home and make it safely to where ever they are heading

Not sure but it may be a FUGLY boat co. build?ninja.gif

CT

I guess because of who has made the post, and the fact it has been stated it needs to pass through a tunnel, that it has been put in the water at Stowe Hill Wharf.

No boats have been built as "Liverpool Boats" for quite a few years now. Matty has identified the builder as "Aintree", I think.

I guess because of who has made the post, and the fact it has been stated it needs to pass through a tunnel, that it has been put in the water at Stowe Hill Wharf.

No boats have been built as "Liverpool Boats" for quite a few years now. Matty has identified the builder as "Aintree", I think.

But note HE did not say that.

IMG_0563.JPGOne of their rivals boats, class welding, this had just been delivered never been in water and is below the water.

Feck me!!!

Does nobody go to look at their boat before it leaves the factory? I mean, you don't need to be an experienced welder to see that's a load of crap!!

A widebeam recently arrived at our marina, subsequently a team of 3 or 4 people have been there on four separate occasions doing 'rectification' work. During the second visit I asked on of the engineers if this amount of post delivery work was normal to which he replied, "this one was carefully built for as a show-boat, the work is normally much worse than this".

Great customer service (about 15 man days so far) but a very poor product to start with.

There is another widebeam in our marina from the same manufacturer and they are still having problems after 2 year. Somehow water is getting into the 'engine room', the manufacturer has now washed their hands of it saying it must be rain bouncing up off the deck and thru a breather grill.

((The manufacturer is (was ?) one of the ones on 'Fergy guys' short list)).