Watch out for this Biggie...

matty40s

Featured Posts

Feck me!!!

Does nobody go to look at their boat before it leaves the factory? I mean, you don't need to be an experienced welder to see that's a load of crap!!

No one thinks to comission a surveyor, to oversee the build, that's for sure, these complaints are exactly what a surveyor friend has been saying, that the widebeams that are built to a price aren't great. Its not one builder, either, it's more to do with the price.

No one thinks to comission a surveyor, to oversee the build, that's for sure, these complaints are exactly what a surveyor friend has been saying, that the widebeams that are built to a price aren't great. Its not one builder, either, it's more to do with the price.

I wasnt even thinking that deep, we've had 3 brand new cars over the last 7 years. Each one has been looked at with a fine tooth comb before it left the forecourt.

We've had a house built and saw that from footings to receiving the keys.

I can't imagine commissioning a boat to be built and not taking an active part in its build.

Some of these issues are so obvious that they should never leave the builders, surveyor or no surveyor.

Still, fool and his money and all that I guess.

Amongst all the so far negative posts. One thing I would like to add is that I bet it will be humungously more comfortable inside than any narrowboat ever built.

Tim

Amongst all the so far negative posts. One thing I would like to add is that I bet it will be humungously more comfortable inside than any narrowboat ever built.

Tim

Like barns are more comfortable than houses?

Richard

• Greenie 1

Like barns are more comfortable than houses?

Richard

Probably not because a house can get full size seating and showers etc in as can a barn wheras having lived on several narrowboats and one widebeam the comfort of furnishings etc and not having to walk like a crab in a widebeam is very noticeable.

Tim

Probably not because a house can get full size seating and showers etc in as can a barn wheras having lived on several narrowboats and one widebeam the comfort of furnishings etc and not having to walk like a crab in a widebeam is very noticeable.

Tim

I see, it's an age thing

Richard

• Greenie 2

The thing is that if all the waterways were built the correct way and to the dimensions of a proper waterway much like the North Eastern waterways or those on the continent then this wide v narrow argument wouldn't exist.

Its only really because we were too tight to build them correctly (in most cases) in the first place.

Edited by MJG

I see, it's an age thing

Richard

Not quite its more of the fact that narrowboats are a stupid size that no one would ever replicate but we are left with 7 feet wide locks we have to live with. Worldwide narrowboats are the worst design imaginable which is why no one else has them but so many narrowboaters seem unaware of the facts that we have silly boats because we have to if we wish to do extensive uk cruising

Tim

fair point tim...as someone who will be living and cc a wb in the not too distant future i feel sure that had the uk canals been build bigger with large locks throughout then there would be fewer narrowboats on the water with people opting for a wb style craft which gives so much more living space. that said hey i actually like narrowboats but just like space more.

Edited by fergyguy

Not quite its more of the fact that narrowboats are a stupid size that no one would ever replicate but we are left with 7 feet wide locks we have to live with. Worldwide narrowboats are the worst design imaginable which is why no one else has them but so many narrowboaters seem unaware of the facts that we have silly boats because we have to if we wish to do extensive uk cruising

Tim

Didn't Brindley choose the 7' gauge because of concerns about water supplies in the Midlands canals? We know he was happy with broader beams on the Bridgewater, for example.

It's like "why are we stuck with a 4' 8 1/2" railway gauge when wider works so much better?"

Tim

I'm sorry - you are applying logic to this? You do know a house is a much more logical dwelling than any boat...

Richard

• Greenie 1

Didn't Brindley choose the 7' gauge because of concerns about water supplies in the Midlands canals? We know he was happy with broader beams on the Bridgewater, for example.

It's like "why are we stuck with a 4' 8 1/2" railway gauge when wider works so much better?"

Except that in the case of railways, standard gauge is perfection personified for many technical reasons!

George ex nb Alton retired

OK Richard, you've got me confused. Maybe you could explain. If someone wants to live on a canal, how is a boat illogical?

What's logical about living in a poorly insulated corroding tin box floating in a man made ditch, carrying everything to your home, taking all your sewage away? Practically any land based dwelling is better than that!

So, living on a boat isn't a logical decision, it's an emotional one. Once you know that, you realise there's practically no logic to any sort of boat, so anything is acceptable to the owner

Tim espousing the superiority of widebeams (although ISTR he had exactly the opposite views as a narrowboat owner) is his opinion, based on an illogical position. My opinion on narrowboats is exactly the same

Richard

• Greenie 1

What's logical about living in a poorly insulated corroding tin box floating in a man made ditch, carrying everything to your home, taking all your sewage away? Practically any land based dwelling is better than that!

So, living on a boat isn't a logical decision, it's an emotional one. Once you know that, you realise there's practically no logic to any sort of boat, so anything is acceptable to the owner

Tim espousing the superiority of widebeams (although ISTR he had exactly the opposite views as a narrowboat owner) is his opinion, based on an illogical position. My opinion on narrowboats is exactly the same

Richard

Yes I thought that too.

I also seem to remember him liking Hudsons in particular.

Plus ca change!

Faux barn conversion.

Here's an example of the real equivalent of a barn conversion!

Barge-Canal-Du-Midi.jpg

Oh if we only had an extra 100K when we were looking, I diffidently would have had something that looked like that!! It's Beautiful IMO