Good pubs on the Southern Oxford

IanD

Featured Posts

Just 20 minutes walk west from Aynho wharf along the B4031 you reach the hamlet of Clifton and a lovely old pub named the Duke of Cumberland's Head. We had a delicious meal there a couple of years ago and the landlord even gave us a lift back to our boat in his Landrover. Wasn't cheap but the food and service were superb.

It seems the Folly Inn at Napton divides opinion. Personally I like it as it is the total opposite of the predictable chain pubs. Just one word of warning is that they only serve roasts on Sunday and once they run out there is no more food. We were lucky to arrive early enough in the evening last time we went there but there were a number of disappointed punters following us and I was led to believe that you often can't get food on a Sunday evening.

JP

We were in Cropredy at the weekend but failed to go and see if the Red Lion had finally, after many false alarms, reopened. Has it?

It seems the Folly Inn at Napton divides opinion. Personally I like it as it is the total opposite of the predictable chain pubs. Just one word of warning is that they only serve roasts on Sunday and once they run out there is no more food. We were lucky to arrive early enough in the evening last time we went there but there were a number of disappointed punters following us and I was led to believe that you often can't get food on a Sunday evening.

JP

I guess it depends upon people's expectations. If you want high class cuisine, don’t go to the Folly, it is a pub, not a restaurant, and it serves pub food, which is not at all bad, and at reasonable prices. You can also enjoy a drink or two without feeling you are taking up table space.

I guess it depends upon people's expectations. If you want high class cuisine, dont go to the Folly, it is a pub, not a restaurant, and it serves pub food, which is not at all bad, and at reasonable prices. You can also enjoy a drink or two without feeling you are taking up table space.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there. I go to a pub with the expectation of it not being a restaurant. Dining with kids it can be a pain to turn up at a pub that has delusions of grandeur. For me the Folly is a place I would aim to stop at.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Folly. Food fine, beer good

The Wharf. Food pretty plastic, beer so so

Brasenose. Food good. Beer (Broadside) excellant

The Reindeer (Banbury, Parsons Street) bit spit and sawdust, love it, beer good, food don,t know

Great Western Ayno. Uncomfortable for beer, all tables laid up for food

Just 20 minutes walk west from Aynho wharf along the B4031 you reach the hamlet of Clifton and a lovely old pub named the Duke of Cumberland's Head. We had a delicious meal there a couple of years ago and the landlord even gave us a lift back to our boat in his Landrover. Wasn't cheap but the food and service were superb.

Do not bother as the Duke has been closed for a few years and does not look like opening again

A similar facility with the pub in Priors Marston (the Hollybush) a good step from Marston Doles...

Seems a shames that these days the quality of a pub is a pub is judged by the food it serves.

For me a proper pub doesn't serve food (beyond a bag of crisps or peanuts perhaps) but there is only one left I can think of.

Seems a shames that these days the quality of a pub is a pub is judged by the food it serves.

For me a proper pub doesn't serve food (beyond a bag of crisps or peanuts perhaps) but there is only one left I can think of.

You'd like The Globe at the end of our road (beside Well Creek on the Middle Level).

There are several pubs in Bradford on Avon that do not serve food, One of them proudly proclaims "No Food" on a notice outside the pub. The sign also states "Bad Hospitality" and "Crap Beer" !!

Edited by David Schweizer

There are several pubs in Bradford on Avon that do not serve food, One of them proudly proclaims "No Food" on a notice outside the pub. The sign also states "Bad Hospitality" and "Crap Beer" !!

A place I would visit,without doubt.

I used to go into a pub just outside Emsworth in Hampshire. The landlord was as rude as you like. It was fantastic, especially when first time visitors arrived. He'd say thinks like, "Why didn't you decide what you wanted, before you started wasting my time now"! The look of horror was brill.

Sometimes,smarmy hospitality goes against the grain. I'm not a 'sir', not yet!

Sometimes,smarmy hospitality goes against the grain. I'm not a 'sir', not yet!

Yes, 'Sir' does make me feel slightly uncomfortable. My local at home may have its faults, but in forty years I've never heard anyone called 'Sir' or 'Madam'.

I like that! every time I see a pub advertising "Good Food" I always wonder why they bother...surely you wont advertise if "well the food is OK but would suggest you getting something from the chippy to have with your pint!" ?

Was in Great Bedwyn last week and the Pub (I forget the name, but it was nice!) had their kitchens closed for a refirb but the bar staff helped a Swedish Hire Boat Crew to order from the local Curry house and even provided cutlery and warmed plates when it arrived! Was happy with the pork Scratchings (dog tried to nick those...) until got back to boat for own scran!

Was in Great Bedwyn last week and the Pub (I forget the name, but it was nice!) had their kitchens closed for a refirb but the bar staff helped a Swedish Hire Boat Crew to order from the local Curry house and even provided cutlery and warmed plates when it arrived!

The Anglers Retreat at Marsworth offered us a fine selection of takeaway menus when we turned up on a day when they weren't serving food a few years ago.

Must have been the Three Tuns, as the Cross Keys is beer-free as usual.

As you walked into the village after crossing the railway bridge it was the first on the right.

As you walked into the village after crossing the railway bridge it was the first on the right.

Yes, that would be the Cross Keys. We called in there last month and it was virtually a beer and food free zone!

A little way off the Oxford, but we were at the Braunston show yesterday and had lunch at the Nelson by lock 3. Beer excellent, Gail's fish and chips lovely, my sandwich splendid too. Much improved since our last visit....full marks to the landlords!

Dave

Red Lion at Cropredy is re opened I ate there last week and food was good. Allas its not a pub just another eatery that was once a pub but still ok for a visit if its food and not a pub you want. The Bell at Lower Heyford is the best " Pub " left in this area ( my local ) I think the Rock of Gib closed last week but not sure. Best food and beer on the South Oxford is Kizzies Bistro at Lower Heyfotrdwink.png

Tim

Yes, that would be the Cross Keys. We called in there last month and it was virtually a beer and food free zone!

beer was good when we where there....no food, but dogs allowed (at least three others in there as well as our own ).

still slightly off topic as not on South Oxford Pubs I know....but one pet peve of mine is being called "guys" by the serving staff in pubs and restaurants! "Sir" is ok, if a little OTT in a pub but is fine in a little upmarket eatery, but "Guys"?