Good pubs on the Southern Oxford

IanD

Featured Posts

beer was good when we where there....no food, but dogs allowed (at least three others in there as well as our own ).

still slightly off topic as not on South Oxford Pubs I know....but one pet peve of mine is being called "guys" by the serving staff in pubs and restaurants! "Sir" is ok, if a little OTT in a pub but is fine in a little upmarket eatery, but "Guys"?

I too hate " Guys " but I also dislike being called " Sir " as I have not yet nor are ever likely to be Knighted. I prefer it when I am called " Young man " though of late that does not seem to happen very often!!

Tim

• Greenie 1

depends on the location...on the rare occasion where the restaurant warrants a suit and tie then Sir is appropriate...apart from that a cheery smile and hello is fine...

still slightly off topic as not on South Oxford Pubs I know....but one pet peve of mine is being called "guys" by the serving staff

It's tolerable if those being addressed are all male (has no one told these people that a guy means a man?) though rather over-familiar.

I have never minded being called Sir in a shop or pub. Obviously if it's a pub where I'm known I would much rather be addressed as "Mike", but in a strange pub "Sir" sounds polite and normal. I also call my customers "Sir" if I don't know their names. If they're male, that is.

Red Lion at Cropredy is re opened I ate there last week and food was good. Allas its not a pub just another eatery that was once a pub but still ok for a visit if its food and not a pub you want. The Bell at Lower Heyford is the best " Pub " left in this area ( my local ) I think the Rock of Gib closed last week but not sure. Best food and beer on the South Oxford is Kizzies Bistro at Lower Heyfotrd;)

Tim

Drove past the Rock this evening and it was open and appeared to be busy.

If Im travelling from Braunston down towards Creopody which is nearest pub to canal that has winding hole before get to any locks..suitable for little one.

Supposed to be taking grand daughter(3) and daughter out again..I don't want locks because of safety factor with the little one as daughter thinks she can do locks leaving me in charge of boat and 3 year old who has regular melt downs when she decides needs mum...This bit about me being in charge never works with daughter as she's a teacher.

Thanks

s'long as its kid friendly don't mind oner of these eatery places..

Edited by patty-ann

That would have been the Bridge. Thought,presently to be closed. I don't know. Winding Hole directly outside. No locks.

If you go a bit further,at the bottom of Napton Locks there's the Folly Inn. I like it. Food is known to be reasonably. Beer was good. Guv'nor has a sense of humour.

That's it I reckon. You could walk up to Napton Village, there's a pub there. No idea what it's like or if even open. Worth a phone call.

Martyn PS. I know what you mean by looking after three year old and boat. I agree, a no go area.

That would have been the Bridge. Thought,presently to be closed.

What? Yet again?

It's changed hands about five times in the last three years IIRC. Even three years ago the "Under New Management" slogan scrawled on the brickwork outside was looking faded!!!

Last time I was in there they had no food available and they turned away a party of about ten who asked if they could pay by credit card.

The answer was 'no'. No surprise that particular landlord sunk without trace...

What? Yet again?

It's changed hands about five times in the last three years IIRC. Even three years ago the "Under New Management" slogan scrawled on the brickwork outside was looking faded!!!Last time I was in there they had no food available and they turned away a party of about ten who asked if they could pay by credit card.

The answer was 'no'. No surprise that particular landlord sunk without trace...

I think that the Napton Bridge site has been sold for housing development now, so it has gone for good.

I think that the Napton Bridge site has been sold for housing development now, so it has gone for good.

There was correspondence about it in these pages a few months ago. I seem to remember that the gist of it was that planning permission had been sought, but that vehicular considerations - lack of parking spaces, dangerous road junction, something along those lines - was holding up its progress.

There was correspondence about it in these pages a few months ago. I seem to remember that the gist of it was that planning permission had been sought, but that vehicular considerations - lack of parking spaces, dangerous road junction, something along those lines - was holding up its progress.

Yes but I thought subsequently it was said that permission was granted. I would be pleased if that were incorrect.

This suggests the application was refused in December 2015

https://apps.stratford.gov.uk/eplanning/AppDetail.aspx?appkey=NU54TDPMKPM00

You can see the letter there giving reasons for this decision.

Other applications are listed here

https://apps.stratford.gov.uk/eplanning/PropDetail.aspx?ref=005ZQ2PMDT000

This suggests the application was refused in December 2015

https://apps.stratford.gov.uk/eplanning/AppDetail.aspx?appkey=NU54TDPMKPM00

You can see the letter there giving reasons for this decision.

Other applications are listed here

https://apps.stratford.gov.uk/eplanning/PropDetail.aspx?ref=005ZQ2PMDT000

Can't see the letterr.

But a new planning application will probably be entered, with changes to the plan addressing the reasons for the refusal. Or it might go to appeal.

I doubt it will ever be a pub again now this has happened. A few closed pubs sites around Reading applied for PP to build houses a few years ago. All refused, all left to decay into derelict eyesores generating endless complaints from neighbours.. New applications subsequently granted.

I recall their Facebook page said it had been bought by the developer who had entered that planning application. Think it shut a few months back. I did just look to see but the page has gone.

Oddly, their web site is still there - though since it is advertising Winter Menus* and urging us to Book for Mothers' Day it obviously has not been updated recently.

*Perhaps they had seen a long range weather forecast for June.

I am surprised that its closure was so recent - seem to remember reports of its re-closure on CWF longer ago than that.

Last time I went in there a family from Cambridgeshire had taken it over. They were having problems getting a proper agreement from the brewery and so were living in their camper van in the carpark so as not to be residents in the property. They were unable to take credit cards due to those circumstances.

Last time I went in there a family from Cambridgeshire had taken it over. They were having problems getting a proper agreement from the brewery and so were living in their camper van in the carpark so as not to be residents in the property. They were unable to take credit cards due to those circumstances.

Frankly that just doesn't hold water. Anyone with a bank account and a smartphone can accept payment by credit card these days using one of these:

https://www.izettle.com/gb/card-readers/lite

There are a number of similar devices from other providers like paypal, sagepay etc

Or there's that useful device which most people use in pubs, cash. It would be presumptious to go into a pub and expect them to take plastic cards in payment.

I hardly ever have or use cash and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Oddly, their web site is still there - though since it is advertising Winter Menus* and urging us to Book for Mothers' Day it obviously has not been updated recently.

*Perhaps they had seen a long range weather forecast for June.

Web sites get put up but not taken down. can be a huge issue for new landlords.

If Im travelling from Braunston down towards Creopody which is nearest pub to canal that has winding hole before get to any locks..suitable for little one.

Supposed to be taking grand daughter(3) and daughter out again..I don't want locks because of safety factor with the little one as daughter thinks she can do locks leaving me in charge of boat and 3 year old who has regular melt downs when she decides needs mum...This bit about me being in charge never works with daughter as she's a teacher.

Thanks

s'long as its kid friendly don't mind oner of these eatery places..

agree. would not feel safe being in charge of 3 year old and boat in lock.

a few years ago we walked from the canal towards Napton and had a meal at a pub on a crossroads not far from canal and well before Napton. possibly 'Queen's head' but could honestly have been anything. The meal was poor, though I'm not a great fan of pub food so might not be best judge and it's sure to have changed hands as pubs do. Just thought it's in the right place for what you need and might be worth looking at recent reviews.

Or there's that useful device which most people use in pubs, cash. It would be presumptious to go into a pub and expect them to take plastic cards in payment.

And on the other hand, if you live in the 21st century not the 19th and visit a business expecting to shell out £150 or so, it is equally presumptuous of that business to demand you pay cash.