New Windows - Very confusing

charlie-uk

Featured Posts

I'm looking to replace the four main windows plus one small bathroom window.

The first site I found was Channel Glaze and I nearly fainted at the price. Going through forum posts I get more and more confused with the terms and jargon used. Is there a definitive guide to Narrowboat Windows. Basically, I have about £1000 to spend on five new windows.

wesleywindows.co.uk & narrowboatwindows.co.uk seem very affordable but am I missing the negatives.

If a standard window doesn't fit, can't I just get the jigsaw out and make the holes larger to fit one?

Thanks,

Charlie

If you are fitting windows to a standard steel narrow boat then the sides are most likely 4mm thick steel, not something you can adjust with a jigsaw. You may also want to consider the spacing of any existing fixing holes.

I dont know of a definitive guide to windows but if I were dong it I would get frames with a thermal break and double glazing. I have had some dealings with Wesley Marine windows and found them to be very friendly, helpful and efficient.

Top Cat

Our boat has Wesley windows in it, when it was repainted we changed one of then. £1000 should get you 5 windows. They are just basic single glazed, are the expensive ones double glazed, which no doubt pushes up the price.

We have Wesley windows, they seem as good as any standard narrowboat windows (not double glazed). We have a few hopper vent type, sliders with hopper vent in the kitchen area, and portholes for the bedroom.

You can enlarge a hole in the steel to fit a bigger window provided ribs aren't in the way, but of course you will also need to modify the cabin lining to suit, which is probably more difficult.

I was looking at doing this for my boat a while ago as the original colour has faded, just polished them in the end.

When looking one useful tip I was given, if they have round corners check the radius before you buy new ones they are apparently not all the same, depends on the equipment used to make them.

Ken

I agree with Richard, Why. I am getting the feeling that you are just ripping everything out regardless, the insulation, calorifier, windows and then looking for the cheapest option to replace them, when maybe you would be better to keep some of these things.

I had Wesley windows installed a few years back. They're not as sturdy as the old Channelglaze they replaced. And two of them weren't properly welded at the bottom of the drainage channel causing rain water to literally trickle in continuously until they were repaired with silicon sealant. Plus lots of the external plastic drainage hole covers have snapped off or fallen out. But having said that the customer service has been good and they're windows: there's only so many functions a window has

Mine are like the S-type where the whole glass pane can be removed.

I agree with Richard, Why. I am getting the feeling that you are just ripping everything out regardless, the insulation, calorifier, windows and then looking for the cheapest option to replace them, when maybe you would be better to keep some of these things.

Exactly my thought. Just what is your plan for this boat?

Thanks for all the great advice.

To those who are concerned that I've lost my marbles....

The boat I have bought has a very good hull, but the interior was terrible. I have ripped out the interior down to the hull and ballast. I am replacing everything. I am not looking for cheap options, I am looking for low cost. There is a big difference.

The windows function as windows. However, there is moss growing inside the frame, most have been sealed closed with silicon and one pane is thin perspect. I was going to attempt to repair them but I've had second thoughts.

When I finish the interior it will be designed for me and I will know every area. I've been busy 10 days now, I'm exhausted but I'm loving it.

If you are fitting windows to a standard steel narrow boat then the sides are most likely 4mm thick steel, not something you can adjust with a jigsaw.

Well actually you can with the right blades, but it is slow steady work, and if you have several to do I'd not really recommend it.

Well actually you can with the right blades, but it is slow steady work, and if you have several to do I'd not really recommend it.

I know a chap who cut a Narrowboat in half with a jigsaw to do a stretch job, a very clean cut including the base plate

• 4 weeks later...

What do you think of narrowboatwindows.co.uk?

I saw the video and the concept of the s-type windows looks very interesting. Is it the same company as Worchester Marina windows?

Or maybe the sx-type is better.

It's either those or the hopper ones from Wesley.

Edited by charlie-uk