Going slow

Timx

Featured Posts

If it is acceptable that I should have to slow down to accommodate someone who is, after all, breaking the law, why is it unacceptable that he should slow down to accommodate my overtaking manoeuvre?

Because it is you who is the one who wants to change lanes.

I travel at 3-4 mph but its not fast enough for some people, which is fair enough possibly, I just find that a lot of people seem to catch me up.

What speed is "normal" depends massively on the waterway, ie mostly the depth.

Timx, you don't seem to like receiving other's opinions very much. Why did you post in the first place, did you expect us all to agree with you? You do seem to struggle with people having different views from you, which I guess is why you think you should be in charge of how fast we are all allowed to go.

Edited to say that with Timx's posts being removed, this post seems slightly odd but never mind!

Edited by nicknorman

This annoying little mantra gets repeated over and over on here. I'd counter with "if you want to travel that slowly take up towpath rambling instead".

Tam

But, at least on British canals, the towpath rambler will usually get there before the boat does.

I am not talking about pulling out immediately in front of the other driver, I'm talking about the judgement made when approaching another car that I am going to overtake. If it is acceptable that I should have to slow down to accommodate someone who is, after all, breaking the law, why is it unacceptable that he should slow down to accommodate my overtaking manoeuvre?

Several others have commented on the error of your chosen driving style.

I don't need to add much to it.

It always strikes me odd as to how territorial some people become when in charge of a vehicle.

For some unknown reason It's often males that are the biggest culprit....

Edit: To remove reference to edited quote.

Edited by wrigglefingers

Er, if people did not hold different views, we would have no discussion forum, surely?

Correct. But some people don't want a discussion, they just want make a statement and have everyone agree with them, a sort of ego reinforcement I suppose.

But, at least on British canals, the towpath rambler will usually get there before the boat does.

Possibly - but what do they say when they are passed by another walker - "if you want to walk that fast you should get a bike"? It's a vicious circle isn't it. laugh.png

• Greenie 2

I have already said that the car I'm overtaking is travelling at 65mph and I'm doing 70mph, to carry out the overtake assuming that I've got to travel 150 feet further than the car I'm overtaking is going to take me less than 1 minute, and I'm going to get a 'tailback of traffic' in that time, I think notunsure.png . Anyone coming up at a more reasonable speed, say 80 - 85mph wont have caught me up in that time before I'm past the overtaken vehicle and pulled back in.The muppet coming up at 100mph may have to brake but that really isn't my problem, he should be driving to the road conditions, one of which is that I'm overtaking a car in front of him. Tell me why I should be expected to brake to accommodate him?

only the English language needs an expression for behaviour like this; bloody mindedness

Okay folks. I'm locking this thread for a few minutes so I can have a good look at it. Normal service will be resumed soon.

Edit ... I'm re-opening the thread with a gentle reminder. The original subject was Going Slow (on the waterways). I've had to do some cleaning up because some of the posting involved being generally unpleasant to each other and braking (sic) the forum rules. Be aware of your language, please, and go easy on each other. Off to find a cup of tea now ...

Edited by wrigglefingers

Letting people who want to go faster than you overtake can have unexpected benefits.

We had just got onto the middle levels at Stanground when a pair of cruisers caught us up, I let them pass with the usual exchange of pleasantries. When we got to the next lock it was ready for us with the gates open manned by the cruiser crews who waved us in. They then worked us through explaining that they were stopping there and this was by way of thanks.

So everyone's boating day was improved.

Top Cat

• Greenie 1

Letting people who want to go faster than you overtake can have unexpected benefits.

We had just got onto the middle levels at Stanground when a pair of cruisers caught us up, I let them pass with the usual exchange of pleasantries. When we got to the next lock it was ready for us with the gates open manned by the cruiser crews who waved us in. They then worked us through explaining that they were stopping there and this was by way of thanks.

So everyone's boating day was improved.

Top Cat

Moomin Papa was kind enough to let us thru the handraulic lock at Ashton - they had just finished filling it. Rather than having us wait for them and being aware we would likely be quicker over the ground they waved us thru. It was a kind gesture - especially when you consider it was a manual lock!

We returned the favor by waving them thru Orton lock the next day, we were only going into town so it only seemed right and proper to give the lock we had just filled to them. I had a little less effort to do than they did - although your finger can get quite sore holding the button in :)

Followed a fat narrowboat along the K&A a while ago, could barely maintain steerage way and had to spend half the time in neutral. If I'd had a rocket propelled grenade handy I would have blown it out of the water, (My therapist say's we are making progress)

Because it was slow or because it was a fat arse, sorry, wide beam?

Just askin'!

The reason you should brake to accommodate him is so he doesn't crash into the back of you, there is not point being in the right but dead.

Top Cat

The reason one is braking to accommodate him is because one hasn't been looking in one's mirror often enough, and therefore does not anticipate.

ETA: Oops, sorry mods.

Edited by Machpoint005

The reason one is braking to accommodate him is because one hasn't been looking in one's mirror often enough, and therefore does not anticipate.

ETA: Oops, sorry mods.

With apologies to mods, the reason that I pulled out was precisely because I was looking in my mirrors and was aware that if I didn't I would be the one who would have to slow down.rolleyes.gif Yup, that's anticipation.

Possibly - but what do they say when they are passed by another walker - "if you want to walk that fast you should get a bike"? It's a vicious circle isn't it. laugh.png

Never mind those fast walkers, what about them joggers!

" Churnin' up the mud and knockin' down the towpaths! 'Ere, hand up a bit more grub!"

George ex nb Alton retired

I asked in a previous post, the question of what was the best way to pass a slow boat. The thread here slid off-topic to cars, and whilst the are some similarities, there are rules for cars in the Highway Code that deals with overtaking - but not for boats other than over-simplified as 'take care'....

With the car in analogy in mind, put another way, what would be the rules for overtaking for 'fast' boats and 'slow' boats. What would be the appropriate signals? - for both boats - and the appropriate manoeuvre? - for both boats.

Give it 3 months and you will be joining the club.

Welcome!

George ex nb Alton retired

Only as an apprentice

You wouldn't have to brake if you drove with awareness and anticipation. Lifting off, and subsequently accelerating moderately, doesn't waste fuel. The point is that it matters not whether you are doing 50 and him 70, or you 70 and him 90, it is bad driving to pull out in front of someone such that they have to brake.

There is always someone behind you - only a question of how far

Only as an apprentice

There is always someone behind you - only a question of how far

That's pretty deep for a Friday morning.

I'm only two mugs of coffee in today, will need a bit more to fully contemplate that statement :)

I asked in a previous post, the question of what was the best way to pass a slow boat. The thread here slid off-topic to cars, and whilst the are some similarities, there are rules for cars in the Highway Code that deals with overtaking - but not for boats other than over-simplified as 'take care'....

With the car in analogy in mind, put another way, what would be the rules for overtaking for 'fast' boats and 'slow' boats. What would be the appropriate signals? - for both boats - and the appropriate manoeuvre? - for both boats.

Appropriate Sound Signals (now the arguments about the applicability of the Col-regs)

"Dot" = short blast

"Bar" = long blast

Sounds1.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I am quite old so I need to push my boat along at a reasonable speed to give myself a 50:50 chance of arriving before I pop my clogs. This is still slow enough that some people may wish to pass me which I am happy to cooperate with. Two things I would like to happen.

1. People trust me that if I am not at this instant pulling over there is some good reason and they should wait until I have found a suitable passing point. I appreciate that they have no means of knowing that I am not just being obstructive.

2. People make their wishes clear. If they catch me quickly and come right up close I will assume they want to pass. If I put myself to some inconvenience to let them pass only to find they don't do it, it is unsatisfactory.

I noted a recent topic, on how to pass a boat going slow, and I think I am one of them, because most times, I am on a narrowboat to go slow, that's my intention, I don't mean dawdling ridiculously, just a nice steady pace, so in turny windy rural places I can just go slow and enjoy, rather than either speed up, and have to concentrate more, or pull over to the side and sometimes get beached to allow others to pass. I can see both sides of the argument if people are going tick over speed all the time, but I am currently on the Llangollen, why do people want to go as fast as they can on there/and I am not just talking hirers, I feel I am either a pain to others, for going at a sedate pace, or there a pain to me, as there right behind me impatiently, if I see a boat ahead I slow down and go at their pace, if people are in a rush, get a car/train/ plane..

I tend to travel slowly but I have no problem with letting quicker boats past. However I prefer the boat behind to come right up and show a wish to pass - they need not say anything, just come up quickly to a boat's length behind me. What drives me mad is people who hover a hundred yards back for miles.

That said, when it comes to locks, I prefer to get through them efficiently and without wasted effort or time. I get tense if someone in front of me is slow, not because of the delay but because they are doing something sloppily, they are not organised.

I realise that this says more about me than the other boater but that's just the way it is.

Frank.

• Greenie 1

Thanks Alan

I wonder how many hire companies ensure their customers are familiar with that before departure?

T C

I hired a day boat on the Broads with my Grandkids, A lad in his late teens gave us the introduction, fitted lifejackets to the kids etc. I asked where the horn was at the end and he said you wont be needing that. There are sound signals and I bet YOU (me) know them. I didn't think I came across that much of a smart Alec during the briefing.