Going slow

Timx

Featured Posts

if people are in a rush, get a car/train/ plane..

I don't stop you going at your chosen speed. Why do you want to stop me going at mine?

All it requires is that when someone catches you up, at the next suitable spot - reasonably straight, wide and not too close to a bridge or narrows - you slow down, (but keep going), pull over a little to one side and wave the following boat past. Then everybody's happy.

• Greenie 2

I don't stop you going at your chosen speed. Why do you want to stop me going at mine?

All it requires is that when someone catches you up, at the next suitable spot - reasonably straight, wide and not too close to a bridge or narrows - you slow down, (but keep going), pull over a little to one side and wave the following boat past. Then everybody's happy.

You're going to have to make do with a virtual greenie I'm afraid.

I have the same problem in the car, lots of people seem intent on interfering with my drive rather than concentrating on their own.

It's way easier and less effort to let the quicker person by than put all of your efforts into holding them up, why some people feel the need to be a self appointed patroller of speed I will never know!

another one for Tam.....and one for you too gazza for you greeny generosity hi5-smiley.gif?1292867616

Clear head today, no work means only two mugs of coffee :)

You're going to have to make do with a virtual greenie I'm afraid.

I have the same problem in the car, lots of people seem intent on interfering with my drive rather than concentrating on their own.

It's way easier and less effort to let the quicker person by than put all of your efforts into holding them up, why some people feel the need to be a self appointed patroller of speed I will never know!

Clear head today, no work means only two mugs of coffee smile.png

Cars can be a bit different due to legislation and higher speeds. I have been known to cause someone travelling well in excess of 80mph to slow under these circumstances; I'm in the centre lane travelling at about 70mph approaching a vehicle travelling at perhaps 60 - 65mph, I check my mirror to prepare to overtake and in the distance can see a car approaching at considerably higher speed than I am travelling at. The choice is do I brake, remain behind the slower car in the centre lane and allow the car that is exceeding the speed limit to pass first, or do I pull out to carry out my overtake causing the car travelling at excess speed to brake? I'm afraid that I will always take the latter option on the grounds of why should I have to inconvenience myself to accommodate someone who is breaking the law? Others may see it differently (particularly the driver of the car travelling at excess speedrolleyes.gif ).

• Greenie 1

Cars can be a bit different due to legislation and higher speeds. I have been known to cause someone travelling well in excess of 80mph to slow under these circumstances; I'm in the centre lane travelling at about 70mph approaching a vehicle travelling at perhaps 60 - 65mph, I check my mirror to prepare to overtake and in the distance can see a car approaching at considerably higher speed than I am travelling at. The choice is do I brake, remain behind the slower car in the centre lane and allow the car that is exceeding the speed limit to pass first, or do I pull out to carry out my overtake causing the car travelling at excess speed to brake? I'm afraid that I will always take the latter option on the grounds of why should I have to inconvenience myself to accommodate someone who is breaking the law? Others may see it differently (particularly the driver of the car travelling at excess speedrolleyes.gif ).

You and the car approaching from behind should be in the nearside lane up until the point you need to overtake ;)

I agree with Tam, but then we both come from an earlier era, canal wise, when efficient working was, in the main, the norm, particularly for those, like Tam, who worked boats for a living and for whom time was money. Although this is almost no longer the case, most old timers still like to boat efficiently and make the best of the road ahead...not rushing, neither crawling along, working locks without wasting time, generally trying to ensure that if the boat isn't moving horizontally then it is moving vertically. Consideration, from all sides, is the key, not all boaters seem to have this quality. Hey ho!

Dave

• Greenie 4

I agree with Tam, but then we both come from an earlier era, canal wise, when efficient working was, in the main, the norm, particularly for those, like Tam, who worked boats for a living and for whom time was money. Although this is almost no longer the case, most old timers still like to boat efficiently and make the best of the road ahead...not rushing, neither crawling along, working locks without wasting time, generally trying to ensure that if the boat isn't moving horizontally then it is moving vertically. Consideration, from all sides, is the key, not all boaters seem to have this quality. Hey ho!

Dave

Ahem! Can I just mention that you don't have to be an old codger to like to boat efficiently.

Signed nick norman aged 59 & three quarters and therefore not quite an old codger yet!

Ahem! Can I just mention that you don't have to be an old codger to like to boat efficiently.

Signed nick norman aged 59 & three quarters and therefore not quite an old codger yet!

Give it 3 months and you will be joining the club.

Welcome!

George ex nb Alton retired

Er, nearside lane already has cars in it who I am already overtaking whilst catching up with the guy in the middle laneclosedeyes.gif

It read as a hypothetical statement.

Either way, lift and coast, let the quick lad passed everyone's a winner :)

Did I use the word " codger "? If the cap fits....

At the ripe old age of almost 67, I'll admit that I'm not as lissom as I was...recent surgery has taken its toll too, the days of leaping off and jumping around are probably behind me. Notwithstanding, I still strive to uphold the practices I learned in the days before leisure boating, marinas, et al were the norm. I hope to do a bit of boating soon, hopefully crawlers won't impede the trip...I'll let you know.

Dave

Either way, lift and coast, let the quick lad passed everyone's a winner smile.png

no, he's a speed control freak, innit?

................... gets great satisfaction from driving at 70 in the right hand lane if he can find an excuse.

Can I have a greenie, never had one before

No. You only have 13 posts! It took ages until I got my first one. Mind you, that may have been because I spouted a load of antagonising bollics!

You are in MY book, but then I quite like old codgers. They generally talk sense.

Either way, lift and coast, let the quick lad passed everyone's a winner smile.png

No I'm not then a 'winner' am I? I've had to slow down to accommodate someone who is breaking the law and then waste additional fuel getting back up to my cruising speed after the lawbreaker has gone past, blissfully unaware of the fact that I have helped him out. If anyone should have to waste brake wear and fuel it should be the one who wishes to break the law.

no, he's a speed control freak, innit?

................... gets great satisfaction from driving at 70 in the right hand lane if he can find an excuse.

Let me have a think on this oneunsure.png 70 in the right hand lane isn't that the legal speed limit? So whilst travelling at the legal speed limit I should be moving aside to help out someone who wishes to travel faster than the legal speed limit, Why?

I'm not actually bothered if someone wants to blast down the motorway at 100mph but I'm not making concessions to him/her, if they think they can drive at that speed they need to show that they can think at that speed as well (they invariably can't), anticipate that the vehicle ahead is going to carry out a legitimate overtaking manoeuvre and respond accordingly.

What these people need to realise is that there isn't a 'slow', 'medium' and 'fast' lane on motorways, there is one driving lane and two overtaking lanes. Just because they wish to travel at 100mph doesn't mean that they 'own' the second overtaking lane.

• Greenie 2

Dave

Green 2

No I'm not then a 'winner' am I? I've had to slow down to accommodate someone who is breaking the law and then waste additional fuel getting back up to my cruising speed after the lawbreaker has gone past, blissfully unaware of the fact that I have helped him out. If anyone should have to waste brake wear and fuel it should be the one who wishes to break the law.

Let me have a think on this one:unsure: 70 in the right hand lane isn't that the legal speed limit? So whilst travelling at the legal speed limit I should be moving aside to help out someone who wishes to travel faster than the legal speed limit, Why?

I'm not actually bothered if someone wants to blast down the motorway at 100mph but I'm not making concessions to him/her, if they think they can drive at that speed they need to show that they can think at that speed as well (they invariably can't), anticipate that the vehicle ahead is going to carry out a legitimate overtaking manoeuvre and respond accordingly.

What these people need to realise is that there isn't a 'slow', 'medium' and 'fast' lane on motorways, there is one driving lane and two overtaking lanes. Just because they wish to travel at 100mph doesn't mean that they 'own' the second overtaking lane.

Some people will doggedly drive along in the outside land overtaking someone in the middle lane with 0.5mph excess speed, whilst feeling super virtuous and self-righteous because their speedo needle is exactly on 70 but with a tailback of traffic behind in the outside lane.

What such people typically fail to appreciate is that their speedo over reads by getting on for 10% and so they are actually only doing 65 and holding everyone else up without any good reason other than as wannabe traffic cop.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 4

Part of the trouble with people like you is that you will doggedly drive along in the outside land overtaking someone in the middle lane with 0.5mph excess speed, whilst feeling super virtuous and self-righteous because your speedo needle is exactly on 70 and gleeful that there is now a tailback of traffic behind you in the outside lane. Oh, the power!

What people like you typically fail to appreciate is that your speedo over reads by getting on for 10% and so you are actually only doing 65 and holding everyone else up without any good reason other than as wannabe traffic cop.

I have already said that the car I'm overtaking is travelling at 65mph and I'm doing 70mph, to carry out the overtake assuming that I've got to travel 150 feet further than the car I'm overtaking is going to take me less than 1 minute, and I'm going to get a 'tailback of traffic' in that time, I think notunsure.png . Anyone coming up at a more reasonable speed, say 80 - 85mph wont have caught me up in that time before I'm past the overtaken vehicle and pulled back in.The muppet coming up at 100mph may have to brake but that really isn't my problem, he should be driving to the road conditions, one of which is that I'm overtaking a car in front of him. Tell me why I should be expected to brake to accommodate him?

• Greenie 1

I have already said that the car I'm overtaking is travelling at 65mph and I'm doing 70mph, to carry out the overtake assuming that I've got to travel 150 feet further than the car I'm overtaking is going to take me less than 1 minute, and I'm going to get a 'tailback of traffic' in that time, I think not:unsure: . Anyone coming up at a more reasonable speed, say 80 - 85mph wont have caught me up in that time before I'm past the overtaken vehicle and pulled back in.The muppet coming up at 100mph may have to brake but that really isn't my problem, he should be driving to the road conditions, one of which is that I'm overtaking a car in front of him. Tell me why I should be expected to brake to accommodate him?

The reason you should brake to accommodate him is so he doesn't crash into the back of you, there is not point being in the right but dead.

Top Cat

• Greenie 1

I have already said that the car I'm overtaking is travelling at 65mph and I'm doing 70mph, to carry out the overtake assuming that I've got to travel 150 feet further than the car I'm overtaking is going to take me less than 1 minute, and I'm going to get a 'tailback of traffic' in that time, I think not:unsure: . Anyone coming up at a more reasonable speed, say 80 - 85mph wont have caught me up in that time before I'm past the overtaken vehicle and pulled back in.The muppet coming up at 100mph may have to brake but that really isn't my problem, he should be driving to the road conditions, one of which is that I'm overtaking a car in front of him. Tell me why I should be expected to brake to accommodate him?

You wouldn't have to brake if you drove with awareness and anticipation. Lifting off, and subsequently accelerating moderately, doesn't waste fuel. The point is that it matters not whether you are doing 50 and him 70, or you 70 and him 90, it is bad driving to pull out in front of someone such that they have to brake.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 3

If I am going to overtake some one and I see someone coming up behind me I don't normally pull out in front of them regardless of how fast I am going

Depends how far back they are surely? A car over 300 feet behind is quite safe to pull out in front of if travelling at a normal speed (even up to about 85mph ) . If they are travelling at 100mph then they will just need to wait for a short while and as another poster said, 'lift and coast' for a bit.

This is why I mentioned in the first comment that higher speeds and legislation. Should I make special dispensation for people who want to travel at high speed (I am talking 95 -110 mph, not the usual cruising speed on motorways of about 80). If such an argument were to hold then I should drive slowly and carefully through every green traffic light just to accommodate any driver/cyclist who chooses to ignore a red traffic light.

You wouldn't have to brake if you drove with awareness and anticipation. Lifting off, and subsequently accelerating moderately, doesn't waste fuel. The point is that it matters not whether you are doing 50 and him 70, or you 70 and him 90, it is bad driving to pull out in front of someone such that they have to brake.

I am not talking about pulling out immediately in front of the other driver, I'm talking about the judgement made when approaching another car that I am going to overtake. If it is acceptable that I should have to slow down to accommodate someone who is, after all, breaking the law, why is it unacceptable that he should slow down to accommodate my overtaking manoeuvre?

Edit: to remove reference to edited post.

Edited by wrigglefingers

This annoying little mantra gets repeated over and over on here. I'd counter with "if you want to travel that slowly take up towpath rambling instead".

Tam

I travel at 3-4 mph but its not fast enough for some people, which is fair enough possibly, I just find that a lot of people seem to catch me up.