Weaver in the Wet?

BEngo

Featured Posts

We are thinking of having a look at the River Weaver navigation this year, but Mrs is somewhat paranoid about rivers. Does the Weaver rise rapidly when it rains?

If so are there reasonable flood moorings?

We have all the necessary river tackle and have survived the Thames and the Severn including the passage to the Bristol Avon , but any other advice?

Thank you.

N

It takes a lot of rain to upset the Weaver, usually the flow is less than many canals.

We are on the long pound (K&A) just now and there is a lot of back pumping activity going on, and I thought to myself only last week that the flow is much more than I normally see on the Weaver. If you go up into the flash there is a tight bend where the river is narrow and that is the only place where the flow is usually significant. Plenty of places to moor though like most rivers you can't easily moor just anywhere.

Lovely river, do try to explore end to end.

.................Dave

The Weaver is one of our favourite places to boat and we have only seen it in flood once and it was impressive! A convoy of boats had come up the MSC and onto the Weaver where we tied up 3 abreast at the foot of the lift which was not then restored. Over the weekend we attended a rally held by the Broken Cross Boat Club between the river and the T & M. It rained all weekend! On the Monday morning boaters were discussing who was moving off and plans were being made for the outside boats to let those moored inside move when a very large tree came down the river at great speed. The tree stretched almost right acros the river between the boats and the far banking. We all decided to stay put and just after that BW closed the river to navigation. All was back to normal the next morning and we set off and explored the river for the first time. After the heavy rain, several boats got right round the flashes but we have never attempted it since!

It is a beautiful river!

haggis

Edited by haggis

We are thinking of having a look at the River Weaver navigation this year, but Mrs is somewhat paranoid about rivers. Does the Weaver rise rapidly when it rains?

If so are there reasonable flood moorings?

We have all the necessary river tackle and have survived the Thames and the Severn including the passage to the Bristol Avon , but any other advice?

Thank you.

N

I agree with what others have said. The Weaver is a good river to visit and you are very unlikely to get caught out by a sudden rainfall making the river difficult. It can get a bit stronger flowing in the winter as it has been this year with all the constant rain but it doesn't rise fast just because of a days rain. Any river will rise and fall bu the Weaver is quite gentle in flow and predictability. The lock keepers are very good too and are the people to ask what to do if at all worried if caught by a rising river in the rain. They publish mobile numbers so you don't even have to get to a lock to speak to one of them either.

I think there have been three river closures this year on the Weaver, however the flow only increases to any degree down river of Northwich and it takes a while to happen as most of the flood comes down the Dane, C&RT control the levels with the sluces and in the two years we have moored on the Weaver there have been no issues

Its a great river with good depth and width and bonus of the Lift and manned locks

Ray

I think there have been three river closures this year on the Weaver, however the flow only increases to any degree down river of Northwich and it takes a while to happen as most of the flood comes down the Dane, C&RT control the levels with the sluces and in the two years we have moored on the Weaver there have been no issues

Its a great river with good depth and width and bonus of the Lift and manned locks

Ray

It doesn't take much of a rise to shut the lift and those river closures have actually been lift closures because they have trouble equalising the water level in the lift if the river is high or low.

I moor in Northwich and I use the attached link to keep an eye on river levels when I am away from the boat. Only once this winter have I seen the level get anywhere near the point where it could flood.

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/5065

• 3 weeks later...

I turned left out of the lift and was a bit disappointed with the scenery, all those man made visual atrocities blighting so much of the river, have gone back and gone past the lift as if turning right out of the lift, much better, weather so bad , doubt will go to the end and leave to another day. The bit of Northwich I saw after walking too much was also uninspiring, just my opinion, so if coming here, turn right out of the lift for better scenery.

Turning left probably gets the best bit, its an ex working river, salt mines and related industry, enjoy some industrial archaeology!

If you turn right and go on a bit you will find a most spectacular chemical works plus various bits of industrial decay.

Northwich has suffered from its industrial heritage, especially salt related subsidence, but it has a certain charm (and cheap beer).

The canals and navigable rivers were all made to serve industry, the theme park concept is a new aberration.

..................Dave

I turned left out of the lift and was a bit disappointed with the scenery, all those man made visual atrocities blighting so much of the river, have gone back and gone past the lift as if turning right out of the lift, much better, weather so bad , doubt will go to the end and leave to another day. The bit of Northwich I saw after walking too much was also uninspiring, just my opinion, so if coming here, turn right out of the lift for better scenery.

Ah yes, turning right gets you the best scenery.

sJhSvWe.jpg

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I love it all. but they are making rapid inroads to taking down one of the "eye saws" I think approaching Northwich has the biggest true eye saw, miles of black imitation bricks on a big flat featureless wall. The second photo is the other side of it

post-261-0-61888600-1462025969_thumb.jpg

post-261-0-72395700-1462025992_thumb.jpg

Think T West was opening them at the w,e, I went in ,but was told it is silted up on the left,opposite water point, and some rocks at the front, CART were there on Thursday fishing out debris.It is next to a communal dog walking , teenagers hangout by the looks, so reversed out again and stayed outside red lion. The boat lift is having a problem at the moment fully booked up as only one of the compartments is working apparently.

Edited by Timx

We were there on Friday night, very quiet and no trouble. Very shallow on the west side but fine otherwise. In my opinion at last the head of navigation has a destination worth travelling to. Also remember, if it wasn't for the industry we wouldn't have navigable rivers or canals.