Most locks in a Day?

Southern Star

Featured Posts

Today we have had a fairly lock-heavy day, Gas Street to Fazely... if I've counted correctly 38 locks, this is the most we have ever done in one day. Had we started earlier we could have done the two at Glascote and maybe a few of the Atherstone flight.

But it got me to wondering what the CWDF record is for most locks negotiated in one day?

Today we have had a fairly lock-heavy day, Gas Street to Fazely... if I've counted correctly 38 locks, this is the most we have ever done in one day. Had we started earlier we could have done the two at Glascote and maybe a few of the Atherstone flight.

But it got me to wondering what the CWDF record is for most locks negotiated in one day?

I've just done Fazeley to top of Curdworth this afternoon. Did we pass? I think I only passed one boat, a gentleman and what I presumed was his son. Was that you?

I've just done Fazeley to top of Curdworth this afternoon. Did we pass? I think I only passed one boat, a gentleman and what I presumed was his son. Was that you?

My son just said "Yes, he's right, we saw him today" and then he said "He seemed nice, him".

Can't agree with your description of "a gentleman". wink.png

Ive done that on my own and its probably my limit. But the BCN locks are usually well kept and easy and compared to others on the system.

StayeyVagas to manchester was a fair run, fogot how many and there were a few awkward ones.

Similar; a couple of years ago we did 83 (or 86 can't remember) in the 24 hours of the BCN Challenge, over 50 were on day one.

Just worked it out, it was 57 on day one and the total was 83. Crew of 4 though, but it was the year that it tipped it down most of the time.

For me it's 59 lock workings.

Take the motor down The Lapworth Flight and tie it up on the GU.

Walk back up and drag the butty down to breast up with the motor.

Then down Hatton and The Cape.

End result about six miles as the crow coughs in only a whole day.

I've done Huddersfield to Marsden a couple of times which is 39, and we once picked up a hire boat at Alvechurch and took it down Tardebigge and Stoke before mooring which is 36 I think, that was late June with long evenings.

When I was younger (50)

Day 1 Worcester lowesmoor basin to the top of Tardebigge.

Day 2 Tardebigge top to Long Itchington

Day 3 Ling Itchington to Stoke Bruene

Sime quite long runs single handed

I've done 121 locks in one day during the BCN challenge.

:)

I did 192 locks in one day single handed in a hurricane.

Pffffft! Yer please OK what. EVORRR!

(The.blushing truth/not even 1 lock ever)

Lash yards sterns up ya bast Ards, cos uhis me be crashing ya whey soon.

Edited by GreyLady

I did the Northampton flight singlehanded before breakfast once. It must have been the Hovis...........

If we are going for the before breakfast record then mine is Wigan. ( but not single handed!)

Edited by NickF

When I was younger (50)

Day 1 Worcester lowesmoor basin to the top of Tardebigge.

Day 2 Tardebigge top to Long Itchington

Day 3 Ling Itchington to Stoke Bruene

Sime quite long runs single handed

Blimey! Day 2 is roughly 38 miles and 55 locks! Canal Route Planner suggests this will take over 24 hours.

Questions: how big was your breaking wash? How big was your crew? Why were you in such a hurry?