Private 'No Mooring' signs

Peter-Bullfinch

Featured Posts

Funnily enough I've been past that site a few times, and (given that it is a bloody great chemical works) I always read those signs as being "Stay away for your own good" rather than "boaters not welcome here".

that was my thoughts as well. Whilst the canals where built as part of our industrial past, and as much as I enjoy visiting the back waters of our citys, I have no interest in mooring next to a chemical plant when there are miles of towpath in better locations. I do moor next to oil terminals from time to time...however I do get paid to do that!

Funnily enough I've been past that site a few times, and (given that it is a bloody great chemical works) I always read those signs as being "Stay away for your own good" rather than "boaters not welcome here".

But which will be the next company to erect No Mooring signs because it doesn't want people to moor outside. The signs could have requested you not to moor there, but they are just telling you not to moor there which they do not have the right to do.

A few years ago I noticed that the plant there had closed, and felt a bit sorry, as, having cruised past it many times over the last 40 years, that part of my history was being lost.

Then about 4 years ago I cruised past and noticed it had been rebuilt. I felt happy that it was still in use, even though it is an eyesore.

There are similar warning signs at Salwick nuclear processing site on the Lancaster Canal near Preston, and the chemical works near Anderton on the Trent and Mersey at Marston, plus the giant chemical works Frodsham way on the River Weaver just past Marsh Lock and the Mersey/ship canal entrance.

There are similar warning signs at Salwick nuclear processing site on the Lancaster Canal near Preston, and the chemical works near Anderton on the Trent and Mersey at Marston, plus the giant chemical works Frodsham way on the River Weaver just past Marsh Lock and the Mersey/ship canal entrance.

no mooring signs make sense in such locations....at bottom of someone's garden less so! I agree with another poster who said that if the house is right up against the towpath then they try and avoid, however if their is long garden then different story!

no mooring signs make sense in such locations....at bottom of someone's garden less so! I agree with another poster who said that if the house is right up against the towpath then they try and avoid, however if their is long garden then different story!

Shouldn't they have considered the possibilities before buying the house?

Well, yes, one would have thought (hoped?) so.

(Thinks: "Isn't this where we came in?")

No, I don't think it is. I just re-read the first few posts and found no reference to it.

Quite!!

Unfortunately there are some who see any sign like this an imposition on the freedom and a threat from the "establishment".

• Greenie 1

It is that site and the rail freight depot proposal is quite an old one so unless you know it's been resurrected recently I am not sure it will actually happen. As a recall the proposal was the opposite side of the railway so maybe you know of a new one on the disused part of the chemical works on the opposite side of the canal.

Yes, the new proposal is for the brownfield site on the offside of the canal.

Like all these things it will probably take years.

George ex nb Alton retired

It wasn't you that I quoted

It was me, and I would have imagined that it was abundantly clear that like Athy, I was referring to their ACTIONS being a public service, rather than describing them as a public service.

It was me, and I would have imagined that it was abundantly clear that like Athy, I was referring to their ACTIONS being a public service, rather than describing them as a public service.

I read it in a different way to how you intended it. I can see what you meant having re-read it.

JP

Never really understood why anyone minds about people looking in their windows. No different from houses, really - if you don't like it, put something like a lace curtain up. I admit to always looking into boats as i go past them, if only to get new ideas for furniture or layout,

On the canal I reckon we are part of the scenery and as such can expect to be looked at and into. Most people are fascinated by something so out of their usual experience, especially the kids, and the more people we can get interested in the fact that canals are a living thing with real people on them, the more chance the system has of surviving. Growling at people who show an interest is a fairly good way of growing antipathy to the whole thing.

True. I am quite pleased with my back cabin and, provided I have polished and the weather is good, I will always have the doors open.

True. I am quite pleased with my back cabin and, provided I have polished and the weather is good, I will always have the doors open.

That's not a euphamism is it ?

Rog