Private 'No Mooring' signs

Peter-Bullfinch

Featured Posts

I have seen the one at Christleton. I seem to recall there were a few there, but some may have been removed?

Possibly, but I was only looking out for the one which I moored outside of. Didn't see any others in passing.

This time I chose the moorings outside of the Cheshire Cat for a quiet life!

Don't think so. Please find a post where I've said its ok to put up no mooring signs. What I have said is that some inconsiderate boaters give householders genuine grounds for objecting to boats mooring as a result of noisy generators and engines, smoky chimneys and junk-strewn towpaths. So I have said that I sympathise with householders who object to such nuisances. I have said that some (minority) of boaters are to blame for the proliferation of these signs. I'm pretty sure I haven't said I condone putting up such signs, but please feel free to prove me wrong.

I would argue your comments do condone such actions, by inference.

Possibly, but I was only looking out for the one which I moored outside of. Didn't see any others in passing.

This time I chose the moorings outside of the Cheshire Cat for a quiet life!

That is our favourite spot. Hardly ever had any grief there except one year two strange things happened. I was sat watching the telly when there was an almighty bang at the back of the boat. The trip boat had steered straight into us! Turned out it was a trainee steerer and he got confused with the gear controls! Shit happens; no harm done. We all have to learn.

Another morning we awoke to find another NB's bow fender touching out rear fender. Never heard it moor, there was loads of room either side of us yet it was touching our boat! Again no harm done. I am quite deaf, but am surprised I never heard any mooring pins going in.

Love it there, two decent pubs, a reasonable walk to supermarket/Halfords/pet stores etc, and a bus into Chester, though we usually walk the dogs into the city.

Found a 70 year old tortoise one year wandering along the towpath outside the Cat, and thought I had dropped lucky. Turned out it belonged to a house opposite, and had swam across the canal. I wasn't aware that they could swim until that day. Obviously I handed him back over, but would love to have rehomed it. I had already planned how to make a pen for it on the boat roof.

Found a 70 year old tortoise one year wandering along the towpath outside the Cat, and thought I had dropped lucky. I wasn't aware that they could swim until that day. Obviously I handed him back over, but would love to have rehomed it. I had already planned how to make a pen for it.

So not only can they swim, they can write too? Talented creatures.

I would argue your comments do condone such actions, by inference.

Then you would infer incorrectly. In summary I have some sympathy for the householders but it doesn't extend to "taking the law into their own hands". In the same way that I would for example sympathise with the victim of a house breakin, and understand why, when they knew who dun it, they wanted to go round with their mates and a baseball bat to "sort it out", whilst not condoning such vigilante action.

Is that clear yet or do I need to use words with fewer letters, or maybe pictograms?

Then you would infer incorrectly. In summary I have some sympathy for the householders but it doesn't extend to "taking the law into their own hands". In the same way that I would for example sympathise with the victim of a house breakin, and understand why, when they knew who dun it, they wanted to go round with their mates and a baseball bat to "sort it out", whilst not condoning such vigilante action.

Is that clear yet or do I need to use words with fewer letters, or maybe pictograms?

I understand your viewpoint perfectly, but personally disagree and have no sympathy with people who buy canal side houses, then try to stop boats from mooring. It reminds me of the people who built a house adjacent to our local school, then complained about the kids making a noise at playtime etc. Also the various people I have read about over the years who buy houses near to churches, then complain about the bells ringing. A relation of mine bought a house amongst the farming community some years ago, and has spent most of his life complaining about the tractors and associated machinery passing his house! There are many more examples of people who should think things through more carefully.

Looking at the photo, i wouldn't moor near the house anyway, looks like plenty of room to moor further down, it works both ways, what if the house plays loud music till late at night?

However, putting your own sign up is not really the right thing to do, should just speak to crt and ask for an official sign, or maybe they have and been refused!

Also the various people I have read about over the years who buy houses near to churches, then complain about the bells ringing. A relation of mine bought a house amongst the farming community some years ago, and has spent most of his life complaining about the tractors and associated machinery passing his house! There are many more examples of people who should think things through more carefully.

Yes, a "friend" on Face Book was moaning the other day that the nearby church bells had given him a headache. I asked him if the church had been built before or after he moved to his house (as, if it was built afterwards, he could have justifiable grounds for complaint). I got the charming reply "Go f*** yourself, Mike". My response "I regret that I am not currently in a position to do that" was less than well received too.

We live next to a butcher's shop. It has its own farm. Sometimes, depending on wind direction, it do pong loike. Fair enough, we knew it was there when we bought the house (and we like their eggs and sausages too).

That's ultimately why I don't condone rogue signage. However you can see the trap they fell into. Nice chocolate box pictures of brightly painted boats chugging past, happy holiday makers laughing and having fun. Then the reality, junk laden boat overflowing onto the towpath, unsilenced frame generator clattering, or smoky rattly air-cooled engine running all hours. Stove burning wet wood and bits of old plastic thus belching out toxic smoke, occupants shouting obscenities drunkenly late at night and piddling on the towpath. Dog barking incessantly when the occupants go out.

Of course most boats aren't like that, but a few are and its those the householders remember. We have all encountered such boats and we can move on elsewhere, whereas a householder might be stuck with it for 2 weeks (or more).

I believe that the householder has a duty to tolerate boats, but by the same token boaters have a duty not to cause undue nuisance.

Agree 100%. Boaters and other canal users have a duty not to cause undue nuisance whether outside a home, or wherever they may be.

Must say that whilst there are some undesirables on the cut, during the 38 years we have lived by the cut, I can only think of a very small number who have caused any problems. We have had far more problems from non-boaters in general.

Nobody has mentioned that the one at Christleton, the house is about 4 feet from the canal and has an overhanging upper floor (window) - probably some kind of loading crane was there in days gone by. Having a boat moored there would be very intrusive. Not defending the unofficial sign, though, just pointing out some facts surrounding the situation.

Folk buy hoses in Ironbridge and then complain when tourists peer through their windows. Problem is to the average foreign holiday maker a house in Blists Hill Victorian Town museum and a private house in Ironbridge are the same difference!

Still I can see both sides of the argument regarding no mooring signs.....

Nobody has mentioned that the one at Christleton, the house is about 4 feet from the canal and has an overhanging upper floor (window) - probably some kind of loading crane was there in days gone by. Having a boat moored there would be very intrusive. Not defending the unofficial sign, though, just pointing out some facts surrounding the situation.

Can't think which that one is. There were a few around Christleton at one point with signs up. I have photos somewhere. Some were even on the non towpath side and were objecting to moorers on the other side of the canal to them, though I think they have removed the signs now.

Edited by Guest

Plenty of people bought flats on the cut directly opposite the boatyard at Weedon in the 90's and then promptly began whingeing about the noisy boatyard and boats. I remember listening to one poor soul bleating loudly in the Plume of Feathers about it and then getting rather irate when he got no sympathy from anyone.clapping.gif

Nimbys, can't stand them. But I do have some sympathy for anyone who has had some of the more undesirable elements of our floating community parked outside their lounge window.

I am finding attitudes on this thread interesting. On some threads there is the attitude don't let CRT get away with making you ask permission its the thin end of the wedge type attitude.

Yet on this thread a number of posters seem to be implying it doesn't matter if a householder puts up no mooring signs. Nobody seems to see that as the thin end of the wedge.

Why does the wedge argument only apply to CRT?

Just asking.

Well I see it pretty much the same as CRT putting up a sign which is not (sorry, MAY not) be legally enforceable.

If local councils begin to take over the enforcement of tow paths it all becomes academic anyway as householders with the 'right connections' will be able to get what they want anyway.

That's ultimately why I don't condone rogue signage. However you can see the trap they fell into. Nice chocolate box pictures of brightly painted boats chugging past, happy holiday makers laughing and having fun. Then the reality, junk laden boat overflowing onto the towpath, unsilenced frame generator clattering, or smoky rattly air-cooled engine running all hours. Stove burning wet wood and bits of old plastic thus belching out toxic smoke, occupants shouting obscenities drunkenly late at night and piddling on the towpath. Dog barking incessantly when the occupants go out.

Of course most boats aren't like that, but a few are and its those the householders remember. We have all encountered such boats and we can move on elsewhere, whereas a householder might be stuck with it for 2 weeks (or more).

I believe that the householder has a duty to tolerate boats, but by the same token boaters have a duty not to cause undue nuisance.

I agree entirely, if everyone on or associated with canals had respect for others no signs would be needed. 99% of canal users do already..... the problem is the remaining few.

I agree entirely, if everyone on or associated with canals had respect for others no signs would be needed. 99% of canal users do already..... the problem is the remaining few.

If more people were prepared to engage with and speak to what they regard as the few 'problem' boaters directly, instead of whinging to councils and CRT, it would save us all a lot of hassle and cost (which we pay for anyway). But then again it's much easier to bash out an email.

Lady moves into a house next to

A Train Station=complains about train noises.

Next to an Airport=complains about Aircraft vibrating her roof.

Would I Moor their ?

No, I can't be doing with any of that sh-t but she needs her head retuning into what's what and those signs need removing on a dark night by a nice boater with balls.

Ow i like the bush on the wrong side of her legal property boundary.

Though it needs a trim.......

Edited by GreyLady

I view such signage in a similar way to the signs I see in summer outside cafes and restaurants

"SHIRTS MUST BE WARN INSIDE THE DINING ROOM"

Do we really need a sign to tell us this ?

With miles of canal towpath, signage or not, do we really need to moor outside someone's window.

The legalities are really an irrelevance.

Be considerate !

Rog

PS Greylady's back :)