Private 'No Mooring' signs

Peter-Bullfinch

Featured Posts

I'm always quite flattered by folk looking at our boat, but I once had a fellow boater climb on the gunwale and peer at some coal bags on the roof. When I went out and asked what he was up to, he just said "I wanted to see what kind of coal you had."

That felt a bit intrusive.

I'm always quite flattered by folk looking at our boat, but I once had a fellow boater climb on the gunwale and peer at some coal bags on the roof. When I went out and asked what he was up to, he just said "I wanted to see what kind of coal you had."

That felt a bit intrusive.

Must have been nuts.

• Greenie 1

It was interesting to note that there isn't a single boat moored up in the final ten miles from Melling through Aintree, Litherland, Bootle into Liverpool. Only at the Litherland services does anyone seem to overnight before arriving in Salthouse Dock. Is this one of the longest stretches of moored boat free canal on the system?

Unless of course the chemical works chose that location years ago, which predated H&S legislation, to benefit from cheap transportation of raw materials and finished products.

Don't know any thing in regard to "Elfin /safety, but that chemical works was in operation ( again in what form I know not )when I first started boating in1953 & in those days a vapor ( Steam or other ) used to blow over the towpath/cut & surrounding area when the wind was blowing in that direction I never paid much attention to it until one time I saw 3/4 guys working on some pipework near to the towpath fence wearing respirators, ever after that I passed at the max possible speed

It is that site and the rail freight depot proposal is quite an old one so unless you know it's been resurrected recently I am not sure it will actually happen. As a recall the proposal was the opposite side of the railway so maybe you know of a new one on the disused part of the chemical works on the opposite side of the canal.

Further information on the proposed railfreight depot.

http://www.itv.com/news/central/2016-04-14/thousands-of-jobs-could-be-created-at-new-rail-hub/

George ex nb Alton retired

Why is it needed? Have they not already got a big one near Daventry?

If the transfer of traffic from road to rail is to be achieved, then more depots are needed. More depots, more closely spaced, reduces lorry mileage even more.

Dirft at Daventry is huge. Around 120 trains a week now service it with more to come. However, it is a long way from Dirft to north of Wolverhampton and the potential traffic is there to justify both.

Indeed, another depot is also proposed much closer to Dirft but to the south.

The alternative of course is more roads. People have a choice to make but doing nothing is not an option.

George ex nb Alton retired

If the transfer of traffic from road to rail is to be achieved, then more depots are needed. More depots, more closely spaced, reduces lorry mileage even more.

Do you remember when most stations of any size had their own "depot", known as the goods shed? As there was one at most stations, they were closely spaced. Thus lorries had to cover only short distances to deliver the goods to their ultimate destination, or to pick them up and take them to the depot. Then some genius decided that goods by rail was not viable and definitely vieux jeu, so they were all knocked down and tarmacked over to make car parks and 'bus stations.

Funny how these things go round in circles, is it not? Never mind, it'll only take a few hundred million pounds of (taxpayers'?) money to put them back.

There's a difference between looking in through the windows (I don't mind that) and actually getting on to the boat, though.

Reminds me of when I popped my head out to see why boat moving...I found a Page 3 type model dressed in a scarlet basque draped over the stern for a photo shoot...