Distressing smell of sewage, 'empty' flush function not

Featured Posts

Our loo was newly emptied on Friday and worked without problems until today, when it developed a sewer smell and I noticed that the 'empty' function of the three flush functions (empty, eco and normal) isn't working. I'd suspect a blockage but on the 'normal' function it seems to work ok. Any suggestions? I'm at M&D's at the moment, but back there in the morning.

Incidentally the previous owners advised me that they'd had a tube drop off while cruising before now, and to check behind the loo to see if anything looked as if it had fallen off, but there was nothing obvious. I did take a pic but it's on the ipad so I will load it on here later on to see if your eagle eyes can spot anything.

Our loo was newly emptied on Friday and worked without problems until today, when it developed a sewer smell and I noticed that the 'empty' function of the three flush functions (empty, eco and normal) isn't working. I'd suspect a blockage but on the 'normal' function it seems to work ok. Any suggestions? I'm at M&D's at the moment, but back there in the morning.

Incidentally the previous owners advised me that they'd had a tube drop off while cruising before now, and to check behind the loo to see if anything looked as if it had fallen off, but there was nothing obvious. I did take a pic but it's on the ipad so I will load it on here later on to see if your eagle eyes can spot anything.

What sort of loo is it?

Check out this thread

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/sanimarin-31c-electric-toilet-157904.html

might help understanding

and this one as well

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27649

I don't think these toilets are very common on British canals.

Edited by Tiggs

Thanks... from the online manual, it just says that I should dismount and clean the discharge pipe. Not sure how to do that. Not sure also that it's the right thing, because it works on one of the flush functions but not on another one. If I pass a marina or service station can I ask them to have a look, is that how it works if you have a fault while cruising?

We have a sanimarin and they are fairly straightforward. First if you are going to disconnect the discharge pipe flush several bowls of warm soppy water down the toilet so if anything flows back along the pipe it won't be anything nasty. Second there is a small plastic tube about four inches long with a valve on the top that sits on the top of a rubber thing that is shaped like an old fashioned telephone handset. If that valve has fallen off or is blocked it will affect the performance of the flush. It is only a push fit so it may not have completely fallen off but if not a tight fit then air can enter the system which affects the flush.

Is there any possibility of something not 'digested' having been put down, my sons girlfriend can't understand why her 'ladies sanitary' items bung up the macerator.... It sort of still works but you can hear motor is struggling and it doesn't clear as it should.

Its possible that something not 'au naturalle' has jammed the flap valve open which might account for the smell coming back via the breather. (Yes I know from experience which I'd sooner not repeat)

& along the same lines as above , has anyone yet advised you to use cheap nasty loo roll . Ironically , its infact better to use as the super luxurious quilted triple ply etc etc type is less suitable if your loo is a macerating type .

Poundland , Happy Shopper stuff etc is the type to buy

cheers

When we had Innisfree our first Sanimarin had the plastic box macerator and smells escaped from the short vent pipe at the top rear of the toilet pan. I cured it by pushing a larger dia pipe over the end to allow smells to escape to the outside via the tank vent pipe.

As regards toilet paper the macerator didn't hesitate with any grade but it didn't like kitchen roll or tampons, the latter, being degradable, would clear the blades after a few hours.

Edited by nb Innisfree

I've just gone through on Easter Sunday my toilet not flushing away my son did a big jobbie the macerator sliced and diced it up but it just kept on coming back up. Took it all apart to find the valve pipe was totally blocked up, I was supprised how narrow it was the non return flappie bit was only a few cm wide.

For me I'm wondering if my water tap flow valve needs to be open more to allow more water through to make it more runny when it's cut up.

When we had a macerator it became less and less effective, I discovered that the pipe was furred up with what appeared to be limescale. I took the pipes off and descaled all the pipework, result was fully functioning toilet. There after I descaled on an annual basis.

Phil

Thanks for all the info. I found the valve thingy described above by Phil and have pushed it on tighter, and used the clip to attach it to one of th plastic dongle things behind the loo so it's curved over. This has stopped the smell and the empty function is slightly better. I spoke to someone at Kate Boats and he advised me to wait and see if the paper decomposed a bit, which I did and I think also helped, but it still works best on the 'normal' flush function, which is annoying! Online the website says you can use whatever paper, but ours is the aloe kind so might go for thin rubbish stuff next time! I don't think anything else has gone down there. We're quite eco when we can be so certainly no tampons.

I am happy to try most forms of DIY but I have to say, plumbing DIY is my least-appealing option. The consequences if you get it wrong...

I noticed last week that some bog rolls now have "a hint of cotton", I don't know if this is a big "hint" or an insignificant "hint" for the marketing department, but its something to watch out for. When we first got the boat I used to test a sheet of each new packet of bog rolls to make sure they really did dissolve, but I don't worry any more, whatever you put in turns into brown liquid.

....................Dave

Thanks for all the info. I found the valve thingy described above by Phil and have pushed it on tighter, and used the clip to attach it to one of th plastic dongle things behind the loo so it's curved over. This has stopped the smell and the empty function is slightly better. I spoke to someone at Kate Boats and he advised me to wait and see if the paper decomposed a bit, which I did and I think also helped, but it still works best on the 'normal' flush function, which is annoying! Online the website says you can use whatever paper, but ours is the aloe kind so might go for thin rubbish stuff next time! I don't think anything else has gone down there. We're quite eco when we can be so certainly no tampons.

I am happy to try most forms of DIY but I have to say, plumbing DIY is my least-appealing option. The consequences if you get it wrong...

Glad to hear you have had some success. Re the aloe loo rolls though, you need to avoid them, and all the soft quilt style papers sticking to the thin basic stuff. We have found the tesco own brand stuff to be ok.

It is easy to test toilet paper for suitability in a macerator.

Simply fill a pint glass half full of water, drop one sheet of the toilet paper to be tested in in. Leave for a minute, then stir with a teaspoon.

If the paper disintegrates, then it is suitable for use in a macerator.

We use Asda "Shades So Soft", which is available in a variety of colours, thus retaining gurl appeal :)