Which cordless drill?

gary955

Featured Posts

I've been lucky enough to receive £50 worth of B&Q vouchers for Xmas. I need a new cordless drill but am unsure whether to buy a 12v compact drill with a 10mm chuck and two battery's or an 18v drill with a 13mm chuck and just the one battery. I don't mind chucking in another £20 or so.... So which of B&Q's current range does the panel think represents the best value?

I have one of these

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb-18v-li-18v-4-0ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/69942

Came as part of a set with an impact driver

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-twin-pack-combi-drill-impact-driver/2903f

Use it every day for work very good.

B&Q and screwfix are part of the same company so they may do it.

don't be tempted by the green Bosch stuff its crap. Blue is the professional stuff which is good.

Here is a very similar one

http://www.diy.com/drills/bosch-dynamic-series-cordless-18v-li-ion-combi-drill-2-batteries-0615990g6w/867333_BQ.prd

Edited by Loddon

For regular diy use I have all deWalt. Most professionals of my acquaintance have moved over to Makita but the yellow stuff has proved reliable for me.

Definitely go for 18V as opposed to 12V or 14.4V

Definitely 18v and make sure that it has a L-ion battery; can't go far with Makita but don't buy on ebay there are a lot of dodgy copies about and if you have a problem you are lumbered as a genuine dealer will know straight away and any warranty won't be worth the paper it is written.

don't be tempted by the green Bosch stuff its crap. Blue is the professional stuff which is good.

Much to my surprise I bought one if the green Bosch drills and apart from the chuck being no good at holding the very small bits it is actually the best cheapo drill I've ever had - it's definitely far better than the Screwfix one I had before it.

Does anyone make a small lightweight drill? I need a ladies version just to drill a few holes to put up shelves.

Ive got one thats not to heavy..useless for masonery but have used it lots on wood n stuff like that...I went to Homebase and chatted with the assistant and he was ever so helpful..I took it back when I managed to get the drill bit stuck and he showed me how to release it....its one that only they sell..not got it with me ATM There are similar weights by well known manufacturers..suggest go into your local D-I-Y and see what they say. Vary so much in price.

I've been lucky enough to receive £50 worth of B&Q vouchers for Xmas. I need a new cordless drill but am unsure whether to buy a 12v compact drill with a 10mm chuck and two battery's or an 18v drill with a 13mm chuck and just the one battery. I don't mind chucking in another £20 or so.... So which of B&Q's current range does the panel think represents the best value?

I'm going to go against the flow and tentatively recommend the 12V over an 18V.....BUT you've not really detailed what kind of jobs its for. I have both, and the 12V is surprisingly powerful, also two batteries is much more convenient compared to one (by charging one while using the other, you can work, well for ever, effectively). Also they are much more compact and there's plenty of places an 18V can't get to, that the 12V can. The only area I'd prefer the bigger one is masonry...not much of that on a narrowboat?

Another vote for Makita. I've bought loads of cheap tools over the years and, even for low use DIY, I've got what I paid for.

I think B&Q do a Makita with 2 batteries for £100, but well worth adding fifty quid to your vouchers.

At last, someone who read the OP!!!!

• Greenie 1

Does anyone make a small lightweight drill? I need a ladies version just to drill a few holes to put up shelves.

Wickes do a 10.8 volt in their own range its about 50 squid and for a small light drill does an exellent job with plenty enough torque. I dont like heavy stuff as I dont need it to bash along all day its just for ocasional use and I am not macho enough to need to prove anything to anyone.

A bit like shotguns realy as a 20 bore is generaly a better gun for rough shooting and clays than a 12 bore if you know what you are doing.

Tim

Wickes do a 10.8 volt in their own range its about 50 squid and for a small light drill does an exellent job with plenty enough torque. I dont like heavy stuff as I dont need it to bash along all day its just for ocasional use and I am not macho enough to need to prove anything to anyone.

A bit like shotguns realy as a 20 bore is generaly a better gun for rough shooting and clays than a 12 bore if you know what you are doing.

Tim

Can the OP spend his B&Q gift vouchers in Wickes then?

Can the OP spend his B&Q gift vouchers in Wickes then?

Probably not but Sue who asked that particular question may well be able to or is that going so far from the original post as to be not admissable on a discussion forum?

Tim

??

I said DeWalt. B&Q sell DeWalt. In fact my last DeWalt came from them on offer at £90.

I have DeWalt and my cabinet maker mate has DeWalt (admittedly he being a cabinet maker isn't using a drill a lot) mine came from B & Q on offer as well.