Which cordless drill?

gary955

Featured Posts

I don't know which is worse, that normous club foot of battery on battery drills that gets in the way or the trailing lead on a mains drill. unsure.png I like my Stanley hand drill.

I still have basic woodworking tools that I bought as teenager over 50 years ago. These are, of course, 'cordless'. The hand drill is good for 1/4" holes in steel and the hand-brace with 'Forstner/auger' bits will bite accurate 1/4" to 2" holes through wood better than any power tool!

The important thing for any cutting tool is to keep it sharp; ideally, learn how to sharpen the tool or invest in jigs that help you to get the correct grinding angle for the material that you are cutting.

I am very pleased with my Stanley Fat Max (possibly made by Dewalt)18v Combi drill and Impact Driver. Other than the fault that the LED light is shadowed by the chuck and there are no 1/4" hex drive sockets capable of withstanding the 110Nm torque (max. setting of my 1/2" drive torque wrench) of the driver I have no complaints.

Gift Tokens are a rip-off! The donors lend the issuer a sum of money at 0% interest and the recipient restricts the validity to their outlets. After six months the voucher becomes void and the whole amount accrues to the voucher issuer. The various issuers of these fraudulent notes make more profit from 'failure to claim' than their profits from regular business. This should be made illegal, the promise on a Bank of England Note never expires. Unfortunately, we are convinced that a 'gift voucher' is less vulgar than a gift of banknotes or a cheque.

@OP, find the drill to suit your purpose (likely at a good discount) and find a better bargain for your £50 voucher at B&Q. See moneysavingexpert.com for much good advice on Consumer Rights.

Alan.

... there are no 1/4" hex drive sockets capable of withstanding the 110Nm torque (max. setting of my 1/2" drive torque wrench) of the driver....

Alan, look out for an 'Impact Diver Bit Holder'. That should sort you out. The last one I bought is the first one that hasn't fallen to bits, and it's over a year old. I think it's branded Makita but I can't be sure (and it's many miles away from me at present).

....This should be made illegal, the promise on a Bank of England Note never expires. Unfortunately, we are convinced that a 'gift voucher' is less vulgar than a gift of banknotes or a cheque.

I must say, I and the majority of my family, have no issues at all with giving some money in notes, for the use of buying something they would like. Its also what was done at work the majority of the time, although sometimes if people got too organised some poor sod would get £100 of tokens for somewhere random, gutted.

Daniel

I must say, I and the majority of my family, have no issues at all with giving some money in notes, for the use of buying something they would like. Its also what was done at work the majority of the time, although sometimes if people got too organised some poor sod would get £100 of tokens for somewhere random, gutted.

Daniel

Absolutely nothing wrong with cash as a gift, works in our family, far better than some random voucher that you may never use or worse a totally inappropriate gift that you may or may not be able to exchange. Anyone wishing to send me cash for my birthday next week , just PM me for my address.

Phil

Absolutely nothing wrong with cash as a gift, works in our family, far better than some random voucher that you may never use or worse a totally inappropriate gift that you may or may not be able to exchange. Anyone wishing to send me cash for my birthday next week , just PM me for my address.

Phil

We also do 'what would you like for christmas' at which point the receiver has a think and with lets the purchaser know, or just buys the dam thing and tells them it was £x.

Sorted

Daniel

We also do 'what would you like for christmas' at which point the receiver has a think and with lets the purchaser know, or just buys the dam thing and tells them it was £x.

Sorted

Daniel

Yeah, us too, love it, would give you a greenie but you wont allow it LOL

Phil

For anything more than light DIY I'd suggest a drill with 2 gears and more than 35 Newton metres torque may be preferable. It may be worth considering spending £30 more for the superior Bosch drill with 2 batteries.

They sometimes have good reductions in their sales, so it may be worth waiting if the drill is not needed right away.

cheers, Pete.

Edited by smileypete

For anything more than light DIY I'd suggest a drill with 2 gears and more than 35 Newton metres torque may be preferable. It may be worth considering spending £30 more for the superior Bosch drill with 2 batteries.

I cant comment on toque value, but I agree that any drill I have used thats been worth using has had two gears. I didnt even know not having two speeds was a thing! Even dads little 7.2v makita is 2-speed.

- One for drilling anything but the largest holes.

- One for driving screws etc

You cant expect to drill a 4mm hole as the same speed you drive a 3.5 inch screw through two 2*2 batterns, nor is the torque for one anything like the other.

Daniel

i always use Dewalt drills but Metabo are my prefered make for my business tools, -

i was wondering with the batteries is a higher or lower AH better and why? thanks for any replies.

For a professional with a lot of work to do, two big ones are good.

For occasional use, two small ones are better than one big one (provided you have a rapid charger) because if one runs out you can use the other while the first one recharges.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I join in with the willy-waving? I have a 24v Ryobi SDS+ percussion drill. Same as this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ryobi-CRH-240RE-Cordless-Drill-24v-SDS-chuck-Complete-Kit-with-original-case-/291668593384

Cost about £250 new, yours on ebay for c.£30.

My advice: if you've got £50 to spend in B&Q is buy a second hand decent drill and spend the £50 on some paint or a nice Clematis or sumfing.