CaRT Behaving Badly

dmr

Featured Posts

Sorry, I don't quite understand your second paragraph or where it fits in with dogs drinking.

haggis

It doesn't , it relates to your last paragraph.

I am pleased that you're a happy soul, I just found your post very negative.

It is also, I would suggest, theft.

Technically I doubt it, assuming of course that the dog bowl, or whatever other item, is on the towpath which is CRT land.

The boat licence and various canal laws mean that CRT cannot take items from the boat, but isn't there something in the T&Cs about not leaving items on the towpath with certain exceptions such as mooring lines and pins, the odd A-frame advertising placard for a trading boat, and little else?

That being so, I reckon anything else left on the towpath, other than people and the possessions they have with them such as a fisherman's equipment, would come under the same law as if an item was left in my front garden by a passer by; (a) it's litter under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 section 87, and (B) as the landowner it becomes mine to do with as I see fit, with the exception of stolen property which, crucially for this dog bowl, doesn't apply if the owner has left there.

In practice, while CRT do have a right to clear up their towpaths in this way, it does sound as if they should be instructing those doing the work to exercise some discretion, but the devil is in the detail; at one extreme is a dog bowl or a bicycle leaning against the boat, at the other is a pile of debris obstructing normal use of the towpath, and in between is a grey area.

Would that be in addition to the 'normal' annual booster vaccs?

If so, I think we'll take him to a vet an top it up.

I don't think there's such a thing as "normal" vaccination - its a commercial business and there's many manufacturers of vaccines, and different vets recommend different levels of vaccination. All I could advise, is talk to your vet. I dare say Starcoaster could offer more info, since she has worked for different vets and knows the various drugs available.

I don't think there's such a thing as "normal" vaccination - its a commercial business and there's many manufacturers of vaccines, and different vets recommend different levels of vaccination. All I could advise, is talk to your vet. I dare say Starcoaster could offer more info, since she has worked for different vets and knows the various drugs available.

I'm hoping she pops in. Don't want to add to the stream of PMs I sent recently!

Technically I doubt it, assuming of course that the dog bowl, or whatever other item, is on the towpath which is CRT land.

So if someone leaves their BMW in our drive, we can take it to the nearest garage, flog it and pocket the money?

Yes, of course, how could I ever doubt it?

So if someone leaves their BMW in our drive, we can take it to the nearest garage, flog it and pocket the money?

You could have it towed away & / or clamped with a charge for getting it back.

After a period of time it becomes yours anyway.

You could always leave your 'junk' on the bankside and after 12 years ( I think it is now) claim adverse possession.

No, but they can be vaccinated against the more common infectious organisms that can be picked up from canals and other areas of the wider environment.

It's worth noting that you can also optionally vaccinate a dog against kennel cough, (a condition already mentioned).

I have no idea how effective, but having been through the kennel cough thing it is what we now choose to do.

Also don't forget it is probably just as easy for your dog to catch something unpleasant when he visits the vet, in much the same way as we can when we attend a doctors surgery or hospital.

The other evening when our dog was having an annual check, and vaccinations (including for kennel cough), another dog in the waiting room sounded horribly to me like it had kennel cough. :o

On reflection I'm probably wrong on this point, unless it's left there long enough. Netmums has an interesting topic on the subject:

http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/house-garden-194/kitchen-household-14/970780-people-keep-parking-my-drive-what-should-i-install-all.html

It's quite scary in that to see the extent to which some drivers are prepared to intimidate people just to appropriate their parking, and maybe the law should give landowners more rights in that situation.

That happened to us many years ago. Well, not a BMW and we didn't flog it.....

It was an estate car packed full of "junk/treasures/other goods" which looked destined for the next morning's "boot sale" (should add our drive was very secluded, hidden away in a small village which housed a well known young miscreant). Being good citizens (and a bit miffed as it WAS our drive) we called the local police - emphasising the goods - as the recent village newsletter had been warning of all things newly missing from sheds etc.....

Next morning - driveway clear; day later - local Bobby appears - but tells us as the drive was three car widths there was nothing they could have done to remove the vehicle for 28 days as it wouldn't have been denying us access.

Not really sure of the moral of the story - but we only get 14 days!!!!!!

You could always leave your 'junk' on the bankside and after 12 years ( I think it is now) claim adverse possession.

It's a little more complicated than that now. ISTR you need to fence off the land you are adversely possessing and put signs up advising the owner of your land grab. Or summink like that.

No, but they can be vaccinated against the more common infectious organisms that can be picked up from canals and other areas of the wider environment.

Are you sure this is correct. Mammals exposed to infection generally develop antibodies to the cause of the infection as and when they recover from the infection. That always assumes they aren't killed by it.

Viruses however are a different matter.

It would seem to me that the 'owners' of said junk / treasure were given a months notice that their junk / treasures would be taken away - why then is it such a surprise when it happens,?

Why then did they do nothing about it and move their valued junk / treasures before they were removed by C&RT ?

With regards to the question 'why here' surely somewhere has to be first and you start with the 'worst' area where you can have the greatest impact ( like CC enforcement within London). Others will get the message and the situation does not arise to the same extent in other areas.

Totally agree, if someone is coming to clear up an area where you normally keep something, the sensible thing to do is remove it before they do.

Having total faith in labelling is highly risky.

Keith

So there is a difference of opinion about dog bowls, but how do folks respond to a TV aerial being planted in the tow-path for 8 months by a person given special dispensation to avail themselves of a winter mooring, which lasted from September to May, oh and for good measure, a bird feeder, also firmly planted, a pallet and door mat, to ensure they did not take muddy boots onto the polished stern of the wide-beam on which they lived? To be fair you could walk past, but it does kind of make you feel you are invading privacy,when all you are doing is using what may well be a public right of way. Remember that as landowners, CRT have a statutory duty to ensure that rights of way are not obstructed.

No visiting boat should leave anything on the towpath, its not their land. A door mat, a dog bowl ect is fine of course. Anything left outside in public has got to be seen as disposable, or else don't leave it there.

Piles of ash in the towpath hedge is fly tipping as well isn't it ?

For one terrible moment I thought I was going to have to agree with you! Fortunately you said some things were OK. That meant I didn't agree. I can't see why some things should be a no-no and others OK. Using your examples a door mat and a dog bowl can be accommodated on the boat as easily as the TV aerial etc.