CaRT Behaving Badly

dmr

Featured Posts

Some people are territorial and some aren't, that applies to householders, boat owners, even anglers. The first thing some do is mark their spot, spread out and emit a visual (and frequently aural) keep out signal. Fixtures and fittings are part of the territory. It's antisocial in a residential road, and a public towpath is no different. When I'm fishing my tackle is laid out parallel to the canal and as close as possible to the water. Some anglers and boat owners deliberately set out an obstacle course to deter incursions on to "their" terrain.

It's passive aggression, with a touch of neurosis.

Some people are territorial and some aren't, that applies to householders, boat owners, even anglers. The first thing some do is mark their spot, spread out and emit a visual (and frequently aural) keep out signal. Fixtures and fittings are part of the territory. It's antisocial in a residential road, and a public towpath is no different. When I'm fishing my tackle is laid out parallel to the canal and as close as possible to the water. Some anglers and boat owners deliberately set out an obstacle course to deter incursions on to "their" terrain.

It's passive aggression, with a touch of neurosis.

This "Gentleman" sat here, for the best part of an afternoon, refused to move for people, dog walkers and ladies with buggies - all had to pass on the grass behind him. Before anyone makes a comment about how long I know he was there, we were moored further down for the day and when ever we walked past or looked out, he was there.

Edited by Ray T

So there is a difference of opinion about dog bowls, but how do folks respond to a TV aerial being planted in the tow-path for 8 months by a person given special dispensation to avail themselves of a winter mooring, which lasted from September to May, oh and for good measure, a bird feeder, also firmly planted, a pallet and door mat, to ensure they did not take muddy boots onto the polished stern of the wide-beam on which they lived? To be fair you could walk past, but it does kind of make you feel you are invading privacy,when all you are doing is using what may well be a public right of way. Remember that as landowners, CRT have a statutory duty to ensure that rights of way are not obstructed.

As a result of another thread I have spent some time looking at how much of the towpath network is actually a RoW.

It's surprisingly little relatively with even sections that are part of designated "cycleways" being solely permissive routes.

For instance: in the K&A sections mentioned in the OP much of the towpath is part of a national long-distance walking route but even sections of that are permissive rather than being properly constituted footpaths (and part of the highways).

Definitive maps are the best source of info if you have any doubts

This "Gentleman" sat here, for the best part of an afternoon, refused to move for people, dog walkers and ladies with buggies - all had to pass on the grass behind him. Before anyone makes a comment about how long I know he was there, we were moored further down for the day and when ever we walked past or looked out, he was there.

It would be interesting to see his response if you walked across the roof of his boat to pass him.

I just don't understand why people move on a boat and bring their "I live in a house" attitude with them as its never going to work!

But finding a bike and taking it is theft by finding even if you are cart as you don't own it!

Seriously people need to evolve past this nonsense dictorial behaviour otherwise violence is going to become an answer like it is everywhere else in the world right now and for what good reason other than "the rules" rules made to suit themselves until it comes to actually fixing the things that are actually broken!

Rant over:(

Edited by GreenDuck

attachicon.gif

Might have been a good idea to explain the problems he was causing?

Edited by jenlyn

Might have been a good idea to explain the problems he was causing?

He was somewhat under the "affluence of incerhol" and him being a lot bigger than me, I didn't care to find out whether he was sociable or not. I didn't fancy an impromptu swim.The white bags were full of beer cans.

Edited by Ray T

He was somewhat under the "affluence of incerhol" and him being a lot bigger than me, I didn't care to find out whether he was sociable or not. I didn't fancy an impromptu swim.The white bags were full of beer cans.

Let's hope he does not read this forum then.