How much bilge water?

johnnie1uk

Featured Posts

How much water do you have lying in your Bilge?, when i got my boat there was a couple of inches because the stern gland was dripping because it was not greased, and the bilge pump had siezed up. so ive replace the bilge pump but it leaves some water behind. would it be best to totally dry it out.?

There will always be some water left as the bilge pump will not be able to remove the last drop.

You could dry it (disposable nappies are good, buy the cheapest)..

Just keep the stern gland adjusted and greased, even then there will be some water.

If possible put a small container under the stern gland, check regularly and empty that, will save the pump running and also keep the bilge dry.

The getting the container out without spilling is a game in itself, wink.png

edit: all the right letters but not necessarily in the correct order.

Edited by bottle

How much water do you have lying in your Bilge?, when i got my boat there was a couple of inches because the stern gland was dripping because it was not greased, and the bilge pump had siezed up. so ive replace the bilge pump but it leaves some water behind. would it be best to totally dry it out.?

Yes. Boats suffer more from corrosion (rot/rust) on the inside than they do from wear to the outside.

Tam

Keeping the engine bilge completely dry on The Dog House' was a constant battle.

The bilge pump didn't remove it all and being a semi trad water would always find a way in (the stern gland didn't drip)

Even with a pram hood rain water found a way in past the rear most exposed deck board. When I renewed it I made it as tight a fit as I possibly could which helped, as did keeping the channels free of crud.

The bilge was only ever completely dry for short periods by using the nappy trick, I was resigned however to accepting there would be some down there though, especially after a spell of rain.

There will always be some water left as the bilge pump will not be able to remove the last drop.

You could dry it (disposable nappies are good, buy the cheapest)..

Just keep the stern gland adjusted and greased, even then there will be some water.

If possible put a small container under the stern gland, check regularly and empty that, will save the pump running and also keep the bilge dry.

The getting the container out without spilling is a game in itself, wink.png

edit: all the right letters but not necessarily in the correct order.

Agree with above although don't see the need to get all the water out. If you have an automatic bilge pump with solid state level sensor, fit a manual override switch. This will remove more water than auto switch and allow you to see just how much was in there by observing pump outlet, without direct visual inspection.

None for 99% of the time

There's no way I could have a dry rear bilge (as opposed to the accommodation bilge, which is dry). Not only is any water coming down the exterior steps directed into the bilge (the only place for it to go), but the raw water pump leaks into the bilge due to wear by gritty water (I blame the HNC!). When the bilge pump operates more frequently than every twenty minutes or so when underway, then I get it repaired (twice so far in ten years). I just accept a certain depth of water down there.

There's no way I could have a dry rear bilge (as opposed to the accommodation bilge, which is dry). Not only is any water coming down the exterior steps directed into the bilge (the only place for it to go), but the raw water pump leaks into the bilge due to wear by gritty water (I blame the HNC!). When the bilge pump operates more frequently than every twenty minutes or so when underway, then I get it repaired (twice so far in ten years). I just accept a certain depth of water down there.

Can't you just refurbish the raw water pump so that it doesn't leak?

The kit for our raw water pump is only £80 and includes new shaft, bearings and seals.

Just bought my boat and it had a bit off water in it.

When we used it the other day there was a bit in there, I've got an ice cream container under the gland them put the lid on when I want to take it out so I don't spill the water. I found a mop in the engine compartment and I mopped it dry. Will be interested to see if it is still dry when I go back Sunday.

It does drip when it rains from the cover. But I've cleared the drain holes one was bunged right up.

Edited by rustydiver

Can't you just refurbish the raw water pump so that it doesn't leak?

The kit for our raw water pump is only £80 and includes new shaft, bearings and seals.

As I said, it's been refurbished twice. Took a mechanic two days to do it each time - thought the engine would have to come out, it's so inaccessible. Also, it's a V(£)E(£)T(£)U(£)S. It only takes one trip across the HNC for the drips to start.

As I said, it's been refurbished twice. Took a mechanic two days to do it each time - thought the engine would have to come out, it's so inaccessible. Also, it's a V(£)E(£)T(£)U(£)S. It only takes one trip across the HNC for the drips to start.

I will swap you Vetus prices for Volvo Penta prices any day biggrin.png