Engine too small?

RichM

Featured Posts

It is a little small by modern standards but would be fine for canals. You would only be likely to think it a bit underpowered on fast flowing water like rivers in spate, or tidal.

This is what a friend said. The narrowboat will be moored within a few miles from a river and will need to make use of the rivers in order to join other canals.

I like the boat but not overly keen on replacing what may be a well running engine (if a little underpowered for rivers) Do you know if it would be possible to fit aftermarket turbos to combat this?

Don't get me wrong, I am not looking go speedboating along the canal network!

Edited by Armitage Shanks

This is what a friend said. The narrowboat will be moored within a few miles from a river and will need to make use of the rivers in order to join other canals.

I like the boat but not overly keen on replacing what may be a well running engine (if a little underpowered for rivers) Do you know if it would be possible to fit aftermarket turbos to combat this?

Don't get me wrong, I am not looking go speedboating along the canal network!

Depends on the rivers! Plenty of navigable rivers have virtually no current most of the time. I think a test would be in order - if you find the engine harsh and buzzy at higher revs, it's probably going to be a pain. On the other hand if it is smooth and happy, 30hp is probably enough.

As to adding a turbo, that would be a huge job I think - apart from the plumbing of the exhaust and air, and a means to regulate the boost, you would need to increase the fuel flow so probably new injector pump and injectors. To absorb the extra power you would need a coarser propellor. Much easier just to fit a larger engine.

So I am new to narrowboating. Looking at a 55ft Narrowboat built by Liverpool Boats. It has a Barrus Shire 30hp engine. Is this small/underpowered for a boat of this size?

Thanks

Not sure how relevant it is, but our 57 x 11 Widebeam (about 30 ton) does just fine on the Thames from Brentford to Teddington with a 40hp Barrus Shire.

I don't pretend to know much about engines, but I would "think" a 55ft narrow boat weights significantly less whereby needing less power to propel it, well that's my logic anywho :)

Just my two cents worth.

To fit a turbo would cost something similar to buying a new engine after selling your old one.

Fitting a component like this is one of those modifications that never really work 100% without many tearful and expensive years of trial and error to find out why its not working properly.

Did they not previously navigate the river crossing that you mention with a horse?

30hp is fine. Mines 30hp and I've battled some strong currents on the Thames, Severn and Avon. Also run up the Trent to Cromwell against a falling tide.

At least as important as engine size is an adequate cooling system which allows you to run at high revs without overheating. Not all boats have this.

The hull profile is also important.

I'm sure my boat could easily outrun others with more powerful engines.

Most rivers are navigable easily most of the time, even with a small engine.

Most rivers are unnavigable from time to time regardless of engine size.

So, if your engine is a bit small there will be a few more days each when you would choose not to go onto the river.

Its probably not a big deal.

.............Dave

So I am new to narrowboating. Looking at a 55ft Narrowboat built by Liverpool Boats. It has a Barrus Shire 30hp engine. Is this small/underpowered for a boat of this size?

Thanks

My 55 footer has a LPWS3, rated at 27 bhp.

Plenty on the canals. A bit slow on the rivers, but also economical.

Our DV20 is 20hp and pushes our 57' along quite happily at canal speeds. No problems stopping or manoeuvring either. Yet to try her on a river since the lengthening, but I'm fairly confident the Thames would be fine in all but the worst winter flow.

A Bukh!!! We have a DV10 (recently ripped apart and rebuilt) which is 10 horses and seems to do the job just fine, 40 foot steel box with 2 gas bottles in front, 850 litres of water, cooker, bed, kitchen sink - we can almost overtake people walking along the towpath!

I was told the cylinders of a DV20 go up and down at the same time. TW Marine if you ever have issues with it :)