BCN Challenge 2016

RLWP

Featured Posts

I have finally made it back home after a trip via Wolverhampton and the southern Staffs & Worcs.

On Tuesday I had an aborted attempt at Spon Lane locks which we missed out on the Challenge due to reports of damage. Considering the middle lock had a paddle broken in the raised position and the pound above was closer to empty than full I was surprised the flight wasn't locked out of use. As I was single handed at that point I aborted and turned below the middle lock as I didn't fancy either leaving the boat in order to run a lot of water down or getting stuck mid-channel.

After that I went to the Dudley Canal Trust to try Vulpes in the tunnel gauge in preparation for the 2017 challenge. About a foot to two feet of the forward part of the cabin where it is still full width didn't fit through but that was with a totally empty water tank and nothing deliberately heavy in the front locker. I know ballasting isn't allowed but surely you can fill spaces that are designed to be filled?

I intend to return in a suitably loaded condition in August to confirm it will fit. I am hopeful it will work.

image_zpsubgivrcj.jpeg

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

... or common sense might prevail and I'd do it with the NBT again.

Any chance the NBT crew could do some training on working the butty before next year? Watching you at Ryder's Green made me think that the crews on Atlas and Malus are really pretty good and I don't think we are under any pretence that we do things the way the purists might call 'properly'.

And where did the NBT folks disappear to at the end?

JP

Any chance the NBT crew could do some training on working the butty before next year? Watching you at Ryder's Green made me think that the crews on Atlas and Malus are really pretty good and I don't think we are under any pretence that we do things the way the purists might call 'properly'.

And where did the NBT folks disappear to at the end?

JP

I'm going for the Bart Simpson defence here, it wasn't me. All the way up Ryder's Green I was in front of the boats setting locks, so I have no idea what was happening with the butty. Which is not to say it would have been well handled if I'd been involved, as this was only my second trip with NBT and I'm very much still learning the techniques needed for a pair. At other times on the Challenge and more during the two days afterwards going back to Alvecote I was more involved in handling the butty, especially going down Farmer's on Monday, and I definitely felt I knew a lot more at the bottom of that than I had at the top!

We were holding up a queue of other boats at Ryder's Green, but that was due to being the first to arrive on Sunday morning after leaving Walsall in darkness, and finding a low pound which meant we had to let water down the whole flight for a while.

In any NBT crew there is usually a range of experience from expert to beginner, in fact someone totally new to boating could join and go out on a run, but there's always a captain who is in charge and will have been out on the boats a lot before being appointed to that role. We do try to do things properly, passing on the methods which were used in the 1930s when our boats were built, although there are some concessions to modernity such as LED lights.

Arriving at Hawne Basin just after the finish time, there was some indecision about taking Nuneaton in; we were preparing to go in bow first when someone with local knowledge told us that stern first was much better for a boat of our length because the offside is shallow. Towards the end of Laurie Booth's first page of photos are a series of pictures of us at that point, prominently featuring young Andrew standing on the bow with a pole; I'm the one in the sunglasses lurking at the back end down in the hold. Then we gathered that it wasn't necessary to enter the basin in order to finish, so as we were intending anyway to take Nuneaton back to the butty at Withymoor Island and go to Ma Pardoes' for the evening, we found a place outside to breast up for an hour or so while we were in the café.

On the Monday we set off at 8am to do a long day, covering well over half of our run back to Alvecote.

I'm going for the Bart Simpson defence here, it wasn't me. All the way up Ryder's Green I was in front of the boats setting locks, so I have no idea what was happening with the butty. Which is not to say it would have been well handled if I'd been involved, as this was only my second trip with NBT and I'm very much still learning the techniques needed for a pair. At other times on the Challenge and more during the two days afterwards going back to Alvecote I was more involved in handling the butty, especially going down Farmer's on Monday, and I definitely felt I knew a lot more at the bottom of that than I had at the top!

We were holding up a queue of other boats at Ryder's Green, but that was due to being the first to arrive on Sunday morning after leaving Walsall in darkness, and finding a low pound which meant we had to let water down the whole flight for a while.

In any NBT crew there is usually a range of experience from expert to beginner, in fact someone totally new to boating could join and go out on a run, but there's always a captain who is in charge and will have been out on the boats a lot before being appointed to that role. We do try to do things properly, passing on the methods which were used in the 1930s when our boats were built, although there are some concessions to modernity such as LED lights.

Arriving at Hawne Basin just after the finish time, there was some indecision about taking Nuneaton in; we were preparing to go in bow first when someone with local knowledge told us that stern first was much better for a boat of our length because the offside is shallow. Towards the end of Laurie Booth's first page of photos are a series of pictures of us at that point, prominently featuring young Andrew standing on the bow with a pole; I'm the one in the sunglasses lurking at the back end down in the hold. Then we gathered that it wasn't necessary to enter the basin in order to finish, so as we were intending anyway to take Nuneaton back to the butty at Withymoor Island and go to Ma Pardoes' for the evening, we found a place outside to breast up for an hour or so while we were in the café.

On the Monday we set off at 8am to do a long day, covering well over half of our run back to Alvecote.

Last year the NBT pair caused, ummmmmm let's say, "an opportunity to have some friendly banter for an extended period of time and get some decent photos of the rear of the boats". I guess they did similar this year, only not quite so much.

Last year the NBT pair caused, ummmmmm let's say, "an opportunity to have some friendly banter for an extended period of time and get some decent photos of the rear of the boats". I guess they did similar this year, only not quite so much.

To be fair I was being a bit tongue in cheek but it was reassuring to see that a group who exist for purpose of keeping and working historic boats don't look noticeably more competent than the folks of the BCNS/CCT for whom the working boats are not their primary reason for being. I wonder if all the volunteers realised how hard working a pair of GU boats on the BCN was going to be when they volunteered.

Peter - we knew you were up ahead because while we were stuck waiting we tried to suss out who you were to 'vet' you for potential assaults of Tardebigge. And you will learn that when you are at canal events in the West Midlands Ma Pardoe's beers will come to you; you don't have to go there. Although it is a rather nice building to visit.

JP

It was my first time on the BCN on any boat, but I had some idea from over two years of reading things on the forum of what to expect. It was quite hard work, but I enjoyed it. With a crew of 8 for the pair (9 on Sunday) we had plenty of people to spread the work out, and being reasonably fit for my age (60) I did a good chunk of the walking ahead and lock operation, although our route for the Challenge only included 22 locks (Walsall, Ryders Green and up and down Parkhead)

Sooner or later I'd like to have a go at Tardebigge and some of the other longest flights of locks, I'm sure I'm fit enough to do them after the day I had on Monday going down Farmers Bridge, Aston and Minworth locks including quite a lot of bowhauling the butty between locks.

As far as the working pairs entering Hawne Basin goes, it seemed to me to be Malus which made the biggest meal of it. Atlas came under the bridge fine backwards but Malus failed to reattach to if and then there was a lot of positioning to get things back under control.

As far as the working pairs entering Hawne Basin goes, it seemed to me to be Malus which made the biggest meal of it. Atlas came under the bridge fine backwards but Malus failed to reattach to if and then there was a lot of positioning to get things back under control.

Must admit a made a bit of a hash of that manoeuvre the one time I was at the elum of the butty. The theory is that the butty is released just before the motor turns bow first into the winding hole and while moving under it's own momentum the butty is steered alongside the motor. The motor then reverses and using a line from the bow picks up the stern of the butty to tow it into the basin. Picking up the tow should be the easy bit. I failed to get the butty alongside which meant lots of rowing and shafting.

I will get another chance to make a mess of it in August and I will also have to get the boats out of the basin on that occasion. Not done that before.

Shame you didn't video my entry into Hawne on Sunday as I managed it in one turn and with no contact with the sides. A rare successful manoeuvre with an audience presence. But then again some say my boat is only 15' long.

Looking at your photo the next time I see someone with a camera I shall stand up straight at the tiller (but it was great that someone took the trouble to record the boats arriving).

JP

The results of our 'racing incident' at Windmill End have now been repaired:

Taff-rails.jpg

The welder didn't fancy matching the previous hire boat battle damage, so they cut out the bit of angle on the right side and replaced both struts with tube

Richard

Blimey Windmill End is dangerous for that, we had a racing incident in 2014. But it didn't matter, since we won!

We came out on top from the incident, and suffered a little battle damage in the process. Fortunately, it wasn't a porthole or cabin side

Richard

The results of our 'racing incident' at Windmill End have now been repaired:

Taff-rails.jpg

The welder didn't fancy matching the previous hire boat battle damage, so they cut out the bit of angle on the right side and replaced both struts with tube

Richard

Is the big blue barrel for the former contents of the diesel tank?

MP.

I wasn't at the tiller that time.

I would just like to point out i wasn't at the tiller either time.

Oh and i get plenty of practice and now have nerves of steel.

I've avoided this thread for a few weeks so i didn't end up too disappointed at not being able to enter. Do we know the results yet?

Blimey Windmill End is dangerous for that, we had a racing incident there in 2014. But it didn't matter, since we won!

My insurance excess allowed you to win!

I would just like to point out i wasn't at the tiller either time.

Oh and i get plenty of practice and now have nerves of steel.

I've avoided this thread for a few weeks so i didn't end up too disappointed at not being able to enter. Do we know the results yet?

My insurance excess allowed you to win!

You were at the tiller in Anglesea Basin though. ;-)

You were at the tiller in Anglesea Basin though. ;-)

Ah, but we turned first :-p

I then gave way as we had crawled up the branch and you are shallower & faster than us and didn't want to hold you up!

*goes off to look for 2017 entry forms...*

Edited by junior

We understand that the results are delayed because John and Roy are holding an investigation

Richard

Is the investigation into your "racing incident"?

If so what penalties can they apply?

Is it like F1 where you can be given a 5 second time penalty, 5 place grid drop or be forced to start next year's event from the pit lane (bywash?)