BCN Challenge 2016

RLWP

Featured Posts

We understand that the results are delayed because John and Roy are holding an investigation

Richard

Ah, that can only be in respect of the travesty that resulted in Rob-M only being rewarded with a single pint of Entire by the crew of the white(ish) boat with no visible name when he freed them after getting stuck in no less than three different locks on the Walsall and Ryders Green flights.

JP

Ah, that can only be in respect of the travesty that resulted in Rob-M only being rewarded with a single pint of Entire by the crew of the white(ish) boat with no visible name when he freed them after getting stuck in no less than three different locks on the Walsall and Ryders Green flights.

JP

A whole pint? A kingly gift surely?

This comes to mind http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/29/natasha-argent-has-london-marathon-results-wiped-from-official-website-5848692/

We were just a bit miffed cos when we met up with them later having also had an incident with the springs stuck behind the gate of the second bottom lock at Walsall they said 'we knew you would get stuck but we couldn't get off the pontoon we were moored on to help you'. I doubt they were barely out of the bottom lock when we entered the one above.

We skipped Titford and Parkhead from our route after delays at Walsall and Ryders Green. Don't think we will be under investigation for that though cos we lost all the potential points.

It's intriguing.

JP

We understand that the results are delayed because John and Roy are holding an investigation

Richard

Ooooooo, a stewards enquiry. What larks!

Of course there should have been one following TTO's disgraceful stealing of the lock from TRW at the top of Parkhead last year. Not that we bear grudges, of course.

tongue.png

A whole pint? A kingly gift surely?

A whole pint?

No, that's nearly an armful!

Edited by Victor Vectis

Of course there should have been one following TTO's disgraceful stealing of the lock from TRW at the top of Parkhead last year. Not that we bear grudges, of course.

I believe such an enquiry took place and TTO were declared to be 'enterprising'. So there, cake-face

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Ooooooo, a stewards enquiry. What larks!

tongue.png

You excepted the bribe, no case to answer.

(Accepted price for stealing a lock from your friends = 1 High quality, Tawny Owl Fruit cake).

Sue

I enjoyed your blog post but I can't see you challenging for the lead. Retracing your steps doesn't score you anything. Also, you calculated 10 hours to get from Old Turn to Hawne Basin??? I can't remember it ever taking me more than 4. Maybe 4.5 if really dawdling.

I enjoyed your blog post but I can't see you challenging for the lead. Retracing your steps doesn't score you anything. Also, you calculated 10 hours to get from Old Turn to Hawne Basin??? I can't remember it ever taking me more than 4. Maybe 4.5 if really dawdling.

Thanks Dave! It was a conscious decision, as it was our first time entering. We decided to do the bits we wanted to see rather than go for the points. Didn't want to miss Dudley tunnel or the City Centre, and as you saw I miscalculated badly on the second day! I still don't know what I entered wrongly in canalplan!

However, we had a brilliant weekend and it really has changed my perception of the BCN. We are looking forward to our next trip.

Next year, head north. The W&E is quite lovely all the way from Sneyd to Perry Barr. If you fancy a challenge, have a go at the Walsall Canal.

That was my 'plan A' for this year. I last did the bit from Norton Canes to Salford Junction on a previous boat about 20 years ago. It was quite an adventure then, as if I recall correctly the Perry Barr locks were in a poor state of repair. There were plywood sheets lying beside the locks which we used to stem the leaks while we tried to descend.

I enjoyed your blog post but I can't see you challenging for the lead.

I suspect quite a few of us decided that, in a world of Tawny Owls, it was better to enjoy the boating than to go headlong for the points. With a 40-footer we were never going to get that many points anyway, so we decided not to bother with the paraphernalia like answering questions and flying the Black Country flag, and just enjoy boating as much of the BCN as we could.

Perry Barr was a brilliant flight though and we'll be back to do it again. Ideally not bow-hauling next time. ;)

Erm, we came seventh last year! It would have been Clover you had to beat - if Clover had entered

Richard

MORE: Perry Barr was in excellent form, apart from the boat moored seventy one foot from the top gate

Edited by RLWP

Bit late but here's some of our photos from the challenge.

https://goo.gl/photos/6Dov7KdFmmckMSFe6

Had a great time again and Daisy and Simon are going to be competing with our usual crew for places next year as they enjoyed their first challenge so much! Once again Hawne Basin was a great place to finish with a fantastic spread of food.

Tom

Julia Ivermee William and Gosport 347.2

Simon Hopwood Stalham 314.4

Darren Matthews Carpe Vinum 312.5

John Mosley Firefly 295.2

Tony Friar Belloil 294.6

Andrew Hoyle Dove 282.55

Tom Murkin Diesel and Dust 277.4

Richard Powell Tawny Owl 258.4

Kevin Day Cecilia 246.4

Mike Moorse Quelrose 244.8

Steve Green Gooseander 243

Jonathan Pegg Vulpes 239.9

Rose Braine Empress 229.8

Richard Fairhurst Iago Prytherch 212.5

Timothy Barrett Dora Venus 210.75

David Hull Changing Pace 210.25

Alan Ross Dodgey 205

Jeff Carter White Thrush 200.4

Alan Roberts Manatee 189.8

Ian McCarthy NB Spey 185.8

Narrowboat Trust Nuneaton and Brighton 185.2

Geoff Bailey Crane 180.2

Graham Clutton Dotterell 179.8

Gill Reynolds Alchemy 179

Paul Rowe Our Little Nightmare 175.8

Keith Astley Grinstead 173.5

Nicki Harvey Boatless leggit 172

Andrew Stephens Barbara Anne 167.5

Stuart Makeson Red Wharf 166.6

Charley Johnston Felonious Mongoose 139.8

Paul Smith Atlas and Malus 111.4

David Payne Beau 111.25

Nick Wilcox City of Durham 106.4

Ian Hindle The Cat who walks by himself 101.8

Nicholas Simms Vented spleen 92.5

Laurie Booth Clarie 52.5

Martin Brookes Tramp *

John Dodwell Helen *

One boat has been disqualified due to a self recorded issue of speeding

Three boats withdrew from the Challenge before commencement

* completed the event but chose not to submit a cruise log

TTO drops one more place. Smudge is going to be grumpy......

MP.

Ahh well - we rolled the dice and lost. I doubt it would have been a lot better if we had queued for the Walsall

Good fun though

Richard

John and Nicki on foot beat Red Wharf <snort>

Edited by RLWP

Ahh well - we rolled the dice and lost. I doubt it would have been a lot better if we had queued for the Walsall

Good fun though

Richard

Excellent fun, and a good result. I like to take it seriously, but I like to do it for the doing, not the winning.

MP.

Excellent fun, and a good result. I like to take it seriously, but I like to do it for the doing, not the winning.

MP.

And we did four new bits of canal - Tividale Quays, Holly Bank arm, Titford Pools and Bumblehole

Oh my! Bumblehole....

Richard

We knew we weren't in contention from the moment we arrived at Walsall top lock but a top ten finish would have been nice. We will have settle for winning the <50' narrowboat category. A category in which Clarrie may have picked up a richly deserved bronze medal.

JP