BCN Challenge 2016

RLWP

Featured Posts

I hopped aboard Crane as she turned on to the Dudley No. 2 at Windmill End, fortified by a quick crafty pint in the Wheatsheaf nearby. As a local who grew up with this bit of cut, it was a real pleasure to re-visit it again, pointing out to owner Geoff all of the features that used to exist, from railway halts and bridges to Doultons factory site and Lowes timber yard near Waterfall Lane Bridge. It was near here that my grandfather lifted his grandson into an empty Stewart's and Lloyds Joey boat in the early 50s, I can still recall the smell of coal dust.....was this the catalyst, I wonder?

Removing Crane's exhaust pipe deprived us of its cutter. By the time we emerged from Gosty Hill Tunnel, having crawled through at a majestic 0.5 mph, the cabin top was almost invisible under a coat of bits blasted from the tunnel roof, I must have cleared a bucketful before we arrived at Hawne. Good to see some old timers, better still to sample the excellent Entire. Many thanks to Geoff and Gilly for the invite and lift home!

Cheers!

Dave

• Greenie 1

This just in:

BCNS CHALLENGE 2016

Question 1 : Sneyd Moorings : As you go in you will find that the wrong place is the right answer. You will have to take a short walk (5 points)

Hockley Port

Question 2 : By Hell : He copped her on what? Between the Green and the Fools Bridges. You may need to look from on the towpath (5 Points)

Helicopter landing pad

Question 3 : Up at Slough you can find one of a thousand. What is it? You will have to take a short walk (5 points)

A signpost (not National Cycle Way but a walking which was one of a thousand donated)

Question 4 : Which canal artifact can you find at Shustoke Bridge? You will need to cross over the bridge (5 points)

Boundary Post

Question 5 : Anglesey Basin What make are the padlocks on the valve house You will have to take a short walk (5 points)

Squire

Question 6 : You will catch it if you go up and over at Galton Bridge No need to get off the boat (2 points)

The train

Question 7 : Who made the pipe at the basin entrance at Bradley Workshop. You may have to get off your boat (4 points)

Staveley

Question 8: Whose name is above the door of the 'New Navvy' at the top of Walsall Locks. You will noeed to take a short walk. If you have come up have a pint. If you are going down make it a half (4 points)

Fredrick Leonard Willis

Question 9 : What is the reference number of the pylon at Gospel Oak Junction. You might need binoculars or a close look from the towpath (4 points)

YYD 31

Question 10: What is going on at TP260 between locks 7 and 8. You will have to get off the boat (4 points)

Remote monitoring

Question 11 : Add up all the numbers on the M6 gantry between the aquaduct and Newton Junction. No need to get off the boat (3 points)

42 (A 34, Junction 7 and 1 mile)

Question 12 : What did Godrey do at Park Head. You will have to get off your boat (3 points)

Donated the sign post

Richard

The Moomins have been safely transported by the Ford Focus of Doom to a layby on the A41, and thence by Shank's pony back to Melaleuca. Batteries when we left last Wednesday were at 91%, the fridge has been on the entire time, and on return, they were 84%. We like solar!

We had another blast. Thanks to all of TTO, you were great company, and thank to all the other challengers, you were great too.

.... and special thanks to Glascote Basin, who left "The Last Hudson", newly painted and with the painter still on board, just inside the entrance bridge to give me a bit of extra sport as I took Tawny in. Just avoided contact.

MP.

TRW nearly at the Blue Bell. Change of plans, guess why!

I don't know, why?

After our mammoth cruise from Hawne Basin to Windmill End yesterday, we are now in the bottom end of the Stoubridge have got very wet, fire lit and drying out now.

Dotterel is now moored just outside Leamington with just 10 miles and 23 locks to go to get home. Total cruise to challenge, on challenge and back will be 133 miles and 160 locks. Torrential rain for the last few locks today.

We had a great time and will be back next year.

I'll pop a link to some photos and the time lapse videos on when I get home.

Cheers Graham

Well I'm home again, totally knackered, Really enjoy the Challenge this year, well most of it - having to go swimming in the Tame Valley to remove 20m of stock fencing was not part of the plan! Must have been sunny as the reactor lights are well dark.

Will some one tell me where Fools Bridge is it an't marked in my bcn Bible anywhere, but it is from 1969. seems to work still.

Had a good run down the Shroppie and then up to 'hampton, a night in the Great Western then a trip up to Bradley Yard for the fun of it, got well stuck on a trolley which we removed. The off to the BCLM to be gauged for Dudley. Very disappointingly we did fit under the gauge, big letters will be following about that as we have been through many times, the thing which stopped my getting on my high horse there and then was the fact that it would also appear to have got significantly shallower since a roof fall which has happened since we last went through in 2006. All was not lost as we had to drown our sorrows in the pub in the BCLM before leaving,

Down Spon Lane, the scour at the bottom is no better, so a rock is to be launched over that, then down Ryders Green, shame the eight locks has closed. A lovely trip except we had to clear behind 3 bottom gates to get through. Then into Ocker Hill Res Mooring , doing both arms to the ends, I believe that we have now bagged a full BCN there is nowhere we have not taken Spey to. Then off to the Wagon and Horse a really good boozer.

Other highlights were

Discovering that the Manor Arms hasn't been wreaked.

Playing pass the Whale.

Being able to remove the huge Spring affair from behind the bottom lock gate on no.7 Walsall without too much hassle, given it was 1:30 in the morning.

Disappointed we couldn't patch up No.2 on Spon Lane, spent half and hour trying with two hire boats waiting to come down.
Great run down the No.2 line , although its bloody slow in the first part of Gosty Hill, like baoting through treacle.

Much beer

the trip out was a nightmare took nearly twice as long as the level was down well over an inch. Another rocket to be sent about that. Picked up a blade full in Netherton what had been a rather nice handbag. Anyway made Wheaton Aston so mustn't complain too much.

Places we got well stuck

The first footbridge up Rushall

The outfall before the first bridge up the Anglesey arm
The Narrows just before Grove Collery basins
The bottom pound of Ryders Green by Asda

Pudding Green Junction

No2 Line bridges and northern part of Gosty Hill.

Lessons learnt. Doing it in a boat drawing 3ft 2" is really really hard work, and dead slow. Must pick up more crap next time rather that just the stuff which got directly in our way.

May do it sometime to win, rather than enjoying the BCN.

--

CHeers Ian Mac

Well I'm home again, totally knackered, Really enjoy the Challenge this year, well most of it - having to go swimming in the Tame Valley to remove 20m of stock fencing was not part of the plan! Must have been sunny as the reactor lights are well dark.

Will some one tell me where Fools Bridge is it an't marked in my bcn Bible anywhere, but it is from 1969. seems to work still.

Had a good run down the Shroppie and then up to 'hampton, a night in the Great Western then a trip up to Bradley Yard for the fun of it, got well stuck on a trolley which we removed. The off to the BCLM to be gauged for Dudley. Very disappointingly we did fit under the gauge, big letters will be following about that as we have been through many times, the thing which stopped my getting on my high horse there and then was the fact that it would also appear to have got significantly shallower since a roof fall which has happened since we last went through in 2006. All was not lost as we had to drown our sorrows in the pub in the BCLM before leaving,

Down Spon Lane, the scour at the bottom is no better, so a rock is to be launched over that, then down Ryders Green, shame the eight locks has closed. A lovely trip except we had to clear behind 3 bottom gates to get through. Then into Ocker Hill Res Mooring , doing both arms to the ends, I believe that we have now bagged a full BCN there is nowhere we have not taken Spey to. Then off to the Wagon and Horse a really good boozer.

Other highlights were

Playing pass the Whale.

Being able to remove the huge Spring affair from behind the bottom lock gate on no.7 Walsall without too much hassle, given it was 1:30 in the morning.

Disappointed we couldn't patch up No.2 on Spon Lane, spent half and hour trying with two hire boats waiting to come down.

Great run down the No.2 line , although its bloody slow in the first part of Gosty Hill, like baoting through treacle.

Much beer

the trip out was a nightmare took nearly twice as long as the level was down well over an inch. Another rocket to be sent about that. Picked up a blade full in Netherton what had been a rather nice handbag. Anyway made Wheaton Aston so mustn't complain too much.

Places we got well stuck

Pudding Green Junction

Lessons learnt. Doing it in a boat drawing 3ft 2" is really really hard work, and dead slow. Must pick up more crap next time rather that just the stuff which got directly in our way.

--

CHeers Ian Mac

On the BCN clean up a few weeks ago we pulled out 50 shopping trolleys from that pound!

Tim

"Fools" bridge = Pratts Mill bridge, the next bridge to Green Lane bridge. We still didn't get the clue though.

We did, except what the crew found is approximately the answer John was looking for. We are sure it is the right post, just not with exactly the right description

Richard

Other highlights were

Playing pass the Whale.

Much beer

Places we got well stuck

Pudding Green Junction

--

CHeers Ian Mac

A shot from the end of a long line trying to free Spey from a bridge 'ole.

post-14862-0-38658700-1464765345_thumb.jpg

On the BCN clean up a few weeks ago we pulled out 50 shopping trolleys from that pound!

Tim

Do ASDA get charged for this service? Surely they can be shamed into doing their own regular clearances of that pound. When we passed there on friday, some trolleys were clearly visible so they're building up again.

We have just deposited Tawny at Glascote. I've lost count of miles and locks done since last Friday

We went into Titford Pools!

Richard

We did don't we and wasn't it cool?

I enjoyed the whole weekend, thank you one and all for letting me join Team Tawny

So next year...........

Really enjoyed this year, got to go to Titford pools somewhere I have never ventured before and decided to do the full 24 hours straight through arriving at Hawne Basin just after 7am, I then proceeded to have a shower and fall asleep on the bean bag, no I am burnt and peeling but still very happy.

We managed the route we planned and did a total of 83 locks more than we have ever done, so next time my kids say we cant do Lapworth and back in a day I will just scoff at them.

The Orca we were passed took all the room on our boat so we towed him for a whilst before handing him back over on way down from Anglesey basin.

All in all a very enjoyable time.

Really enjoyed this year, got to go to Titford pools somewhere I have never ventured before and decided to do the full 24 hours straight through arriving at Hawne Basin just after 7am, I then proceeded to have a shower and fall asleep on the bean bag, no I am burnt and peeling but still very happy.

We managed the route we planned and did a total of 83 locks more than we have ever done, so next time my kids say we cant do Lapworth and back in a day I will just scoff at them.

The Orca we were passed took all the room on our boat so we towed him for a whilst before handing him back over on way down from Anglesey basin.

All in all a very enjoyable time.

Yes, your boat did look rather full of whale. Not quite as funny as Bex on Diesel and Dust appearing with a surprise Orca

Richard

I think next year Tawny will need a butty for extra crew else we'll be operating first come first served!

Looks like we were lucky to get to the finish. We filled up with diesel before we left Hawne Basin, which we always do as it's such a reasonable price, and now a good quantity of it is in the bottom of the dry dock at Glascote basinsad.png

It appears Tawny has taken advantage of arriving somewhere competent and decided it's a good time to point out some of her problems.

A case of while I'm in here for blacking could you just?

Diesel is dripping down her rudder tube so we think it's rusted through after only 27 years.

So we are awaiting finding out whats wrong and what's need to fix her, not a good end to a very good weekend, but we did have her in the dry dock before it started to rain yesterday.

Sue

Got home this afternoon. This was my first attempt at the BCN Challenge (indeed my first time on the BCN at all) , and I'm sure it won't be my last, it was all ... er ... interesting. Being on the Narrow Boat Trust's pair Nuneaton and Brighton, which means a draft of about 3' 2" unladen, there were a lot of stops for prop clearing, starting soon after we set off along the Wyrley & Essington from Wolverhampton on Saturday morning with what was perhaps the worst one, a length of wire which took some time to clear. As my main roles aboard were some lock operation, tea making and washing up, I left those who knew what they were doing to fiddle around underwater, and didn't really start to get involved with the challenge until we went down the locks into Walsall in the evening. There were a few dodgy youths hanging about, and a few police too.

Our cunning plan was to stop a bit early (it was 8:20) in a quieter spot near the junction after the motor had been up to the end of the arm to collect points, wander off to Weatherspoons and eat, then for the more competitively minded of us to return to the boat ready to get up for a 2:30 start while the rest consumed more beer. It was a bit lively in Walsall Weatherspoons on a Saturday night, clearly a popular spot. Unfortunately the beer enthusiasts woke us up upon returning to the boat, then we woke them up when we started up in the dark, so not a lot of sleep was had by anyone really. The plan sort of worked in that we found ourselves the first two in a long line of boats going up the Ryders Green Locks, and there was plenty of daylight to do them after the lock free stretch from Walsall. The downside was that Nuneaton couldn't get out of lock 7 because the pound was low; I suppose it had drained overnight due to a leaky gate. All the other boats had to wait behind us while we let water down, and I walked some distance going back and forth along the flight setting locks and helping with the keb. Those Asda trolleys keep on coming apparently, I'd pulled one out, a little way below the bottom lock I think it was.

Thinking there was time, we did a detour up to Park Head in search of more points, taking some time to wind at the top where we found ourselves churning up a vast black cloud of silt, then ended up being just late at Hawne Basin. Tawny Owl had followed us up and down Park Head, and on the way down they experienced some trouble getting a gate closed. It wasn't our fault, honestly. Being unladen with a rather high bow end, most of our crew huddled up there in Gosty Hill tunnel just to be on the safe side; there appeared to be adequate height in fact.

Not being quite sure of the points system for rubbish collecting, we only picked up a token wheelbarrow full of it, although having a pair of Grand Union coal boats we had lots of spare capacity, if Ian hadn't minded his tent in the motor hold being surrounded by rotting rubbish. In the evening we passed Richard Parry, an even later arrival at Hawne Basin, who had an impressive lump of rusty iron aboard. On Monday during the trip home to Alvecote, upon investigating why a lock gate wouldn't open fully, I fished out a whole bicycle with the keb, too late to get points for it. There is a photo which I will try to post when I have time.

The most arduous day of the trip was actually Monday, including 27 locks and quite a lot of bow hauling the butty between them. It was just as well we got ahead of schedule like that, because we made use of the better weather. On Monday evening at the Boat Inn in Minworth, the crew of Tawny Owl appeared briefly. I said "Hello, I'm Peter X" then they decided they knew of a better place to go. Actually I don't think it was me, they didn't fancy the food and/or beer, but we liked the place. I certainly enjoyed my meal, I ate like a horse.

THis just in from Brenda of the BCNS:

Hi Brenda,

Trust all well with you. Phil Barlow just told me that our joey boat no.37 isn't in the Chemical Arm. I assume that if it was floating around last weekend someone on the 24 Hour Challenge would have noticed it. Anyway, could you possibly spread the word via your channels in case anyone finds it?! It can't have gone far... It's the one on the right in this pic.
Thanks.
Mike

post-4003-0-10084800-1464808116_thumb.png

Anyone notice a stray Joey?

Richard

Edited by RLWP

THis just in from Brenda of the BCNS:

attachicon.gifJoey.png

Anyone notice a stray Joey?

Richard

This is the Chemical Arm: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Oldbury,+West+Midlands/@52.4993528,-2.0126921,205m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4870962938725ea1:0x46ac728d6290300f!8m2!3d52.504923!4d-2.015907

Richard