BCN Challenge 2016

RLWP

Featured Posts

We knew we weren't in contention from the moment we arrived at Walsall top lock but a top ten finish would have been nice. We will have settle for winning the <50' narrowboat category. A category in which Clarrie may have picked up a richly deserved bronze medal.

JP

Clarrie competed for, and won, the highly coveted Wooden Spoon. I believe he has held it every year since the challenge relaunched. Now, that's dedication

Richard

We knew we weren't in contention from the moment we arrived at Walsall top lock but a top ten finish would have been nice. We will have settle for winning the <50' narrowboat category. A category in which Clarrie may have picked up a richly deserved bronze medal.

JP

Not that bad considering we didn't get up to the Pools.

TTO drops one more place. Smudge is going to be grumpy......

MP.

Oh no he isn't. the lucky git went to see Black Sabbath before they die at Download.

Oh my! Bumblehole....

Richard

Possibly the hardest work stretch of canal Old Friends has ever done, we were very close on getting Kiwidad to go in the cut with a shovel in front to get round the long bend....

The top three are interesting. A working pair, a single boat and a very short cruiser. The rules must be pretty well balanced to get those three at the top

Richard

I agree the points scoring does seem to be as well balanced as you are going to get it.

Clarrie competed for, and won, the highly coveted Wooden Spoon. I believe he has held it every year since the challenge relaunched. Now, that's dedication

Richard

Well that's good considering I was wrong - I think Grinstead was bronze medalist in my newly invented self-indulgent category.

Surprised that we did so well given I fell for the Spon Lane scam.

It was damaged though. See my post #753

I agree the points scoring does seem to be as well balanced as you are going to get it.

...but not for short narrowboats ?

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Well that's good considering I was wrong - I think Grinstead was bronze medalist in my newly invented self-indulgent category.

It was damaged though. See my post #753

...but not for short narrowboats

JP

It was damaged but still operable, others did use it in that state.

Oh no he isn't. the lucky git went to see Black Sabbath before they die at Download.

Possibly the hardest work stretch of canal Old Friends has ever done, we were very close on getting Kiwidad to go in the cut with a shovel in front to get round the long bend....

Totally off topic, but he's not so lucky. My son who was there tells me it rained the first day, the field consequently became a sea of mud for the whole weekend, and people referred to it as "Brownload". Not my idea of fun.

Back on topic, it's nice to know that the NBT achieved mid-table respectability or thereabouts. I think we're getting better each year and will plan better for 2017; I guess not finishing on time cost us points.

So who is William and Gosport?

William is a massive "Royalty" class boat, powered by a fabulous 20 horse Bolinder. It is owned by Tim and Bridget Carter, who have equipped and operate it as a camping boat.

"Grand Union" boats can be a quite tight fit length ways in many BCN locks, so I would imagine this adds to the challenge!

IMG_0366.JPG

Blog post for a short trip we did on William.

Gosport I am less familiar with,but presumably the Josher buty of that name.

Tim Carter did put some posts on here a while back, but I don't think I've seen him on the forum for a while.

Edited by alan_fincher

William is a massive "Royalty" class boat, powered by a fabulous 20 horse Bolinder. It is owned by Tim and Bridget Carter, who have equipped and operate it as a camping boat.

IMG_0366.JPG

Tim Carter did put some posts on here a while back, but I don't think I've seen him on the forum for a while.

Thanks Alan, I recognise them now.

Tim posted earlier in this thread with some pictures of them on the challenge, see http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=80235&p=1827852

Ah at over 800 posts I admit I have only dipped in from time to time.

He had time to take pictures as well? :o

Really pleased to have won the BCN Challenge,Julie, Pete, Ryan, Alan, Alex, Bridget and I made a great team, well done guys especially to Julie for superb route planning all those winter time BCN planning pub meetings paid off. Thanks again to the BCN Society having never done this before it was great, brilliant atmosphere and camaraderie with the other challengers, I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it yet, it supports and is good for the BCN.
Ox8NQK.jpg

"Grand Union" boats can be a quite tight fit length ways in many BCN locks, so I would imagine this adds to the challenge!

IMG_0366.JPG

Thanks Alan thats a lovely picture of Leighton Buzzard Canal Society 2015 day out. Probably see you at Stoke Breurne Festival this weekend, I'll be there with a group of scouts on William for a few hours Sunday lunchtime on one of our regular trips. www.inlandnavigators.co.uk

• Greenie 1

Totally off topic, but he's not so lucky. My son who was there tells me it rained the first day, the field consequently became a sea of mud for the whole weekend, and people referred to it as "Brownload". Not my idea of fun.

That was normal practice in Monsters of rock festivals in the olden days, along with 1/2 plastic containers of piss being lobbed about and zero crowd control. Smudge is of that age so loved it.

Well done Tim and crew, let Ryan know earlier and he's over the moon.

Back next year.....in some form or another....

On the Challenge itself, my main role was setting locks ahead so I didn't get involved with fitting Nuneaton and Brighton into locks, but I did observe on the run back along the Birmingham and Fazeley afterwards that it was very tight, especially for the butty. There was careful adjustment of the elum needed to get Brighton back far enough for the bottom gates to open in most locks.