Birmingham towpath annexation by Sherborne Wharf.

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Can't say I noticed what was moored opposite, but it was full.

Can I suggest that more people email CRT (Ian Lane, manager for W Midlands) to complain? Otherwise I will get the "ah but you are the only one to complain" response. He's back to work tomorrow according to the OOOR.

I fully agree with your concerns - email sent.

Sherborne Wharf taking those moorings was always going to happen. How else could they have done it? However, I'd still maintain that I've never seen the City centre completely full, even when floating market etc is on. So it's not really valid to compare to Upton or other places where there is a genuine shortage of moorings.

Sherborne Wharf taking those moorings was always going to happen. How else could they have done it? However, I'd still maintain that I've never seen the City centre completely full, even when floating market etc is on. So it's not really valid to compare to Upton or other places where there is a genuine shortage of moorings.

Well I have seen the city centre completely full so that I had to ask to breast up - but maybe you don't class it as completely full until everyone is breasted up? Anyway, if the moorings annexed were 48 hr ones it wouldnt be such an issue, but as you know they are 14 day ones of which there is definitely a shortage.

Boats are fairly routinely seen the other side of St Vincent's St bridge these days and so a sensible solution would have been to put in rings / bollards there. Personally I wouldn't like to leave my boat there unattended for long on stakes.

My bigger concern is that the trip boats makes navigation through the right hand arch a bit tricky, especially in a longer boat,

I would now chose to go through the wrong arch. The shape (huge overhang) and height of the bow on the trip boat is such that if you did hit it the impact would be against your cabin side rather than "gunnel".

................Dave

Boats are fairly routinely seen the other side of St Vincent's St bridge these days and so a sensible solution would have been to put in rings / bollards there. Personally I wouldn't like to leave my boat there unattended for long on stakes.

We had to moor there last summer because it was so busy and, yes, rings would have helped. There were at least another 5 boats there too.

That's what we did and just squeezed on the end. Every other boat on the whole length of moorings outside the NIA were moored exactly 1 bollard apart (about 20 ft?) why? Especially in August when you expect it to be busy.

Tom

Have you not heard of the deadly mooring rope pox, very contagious, you don't want your rope just mixing with anyone's you know.

Sherborne Wharf have form on this.

When I first knew the BCN you could walk the towpath of the Oozells Street Loop from the west end as far as Sheepcote Street bridge. But it was all gated off when Sherborne Wharf (or maybe they were still Brummagem Boats then) added the moorings along the loop, all accessed from the former towpath.

More 14 day moorings are needed in Brum and also more short term ones as well.

Sherborne wharf should not have been allowed to take more than one boat length needed for the services and the trip boat should have been made to take a permanent mooring down the loop out of the way .

Anyone been to Castle Gardens in Leicester recently. We are due there in the next day or. So just wondered if it is busy or not.

Someone said there's a long stayer taking up room.

Castle Gardens mooring were empty when I drove past around lunch time today.

Maggie

Well I have seen the city centre completely full so that I had to ask to breast up - but maybe you don't class it as completely full until everyone is breasted up? Anyway, if the moorings annexed were 48 hr ones it wouldnt be such an issue, but as you know they are 14 day ones of which there is definitely a shortage.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am surprised. I've had numerous boaters asking me where they can moor over the years, saying everywhere is full. I then suggest a few spots and the response is invariably - "I didn't know we could moor there". There's a couple of spots which I've only seen taken a dozen or so times in 5 years! A couple of examples would be the 1 or 2 spaces opposite the trip boats, outside the ICC or on the rings to the south west of granville street bridge (which are 14 day). Gas Street basin itself is seldom full if you're prepared to be creative. I've seen it stated on here that there's only space for 2 visiting boats there but it's not especially hard to moor against the bridge over the arm into regency wharf with the front or back poking out onto the towpath. I've also seen boats moored bow-in up to the end of the basin, up towards the bricked up tunnel under bridge street. On one occassion I've seen around 8-10 boats moored in the basin in this way, with no actual breasting up as such.

Edited by Dave_P

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am surprised. I've had numerous boaters asking me where they can moor over the years, saying everywhere is full. I then suggest a few spots and the response is invariably - "I didn't know we could moor there". There's a couple of spots which I've only seen taken a dozen or so times in 5 years!

Gives us a clue, where?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am surprised. I've had numerous boaters asking me where they can moor over the years, saying everywhere is full. I then suggest a few spots and the response is invariably - "I didn't know we could moor there". There's a couple of spots which I've only seen taken a dozen or so times in 5 years! A couple of examples would be the 1 or 2 spaces opposite the trip boats, outside the ICC or on the rings to the south west of granville street bridge (which are 14 day). Gas Street basin itself is seldom full if you're prepared to be creative. I've seen it stated on here that there's only space for 2 visiting boats there but it's not especially hard to moor against the bridge over the arm into regency wharf with the front or back poking out onto the towpath. I've also seen boats moored bow-in up to the end of the basin, up towards the bricked up tunnel under bridge street. On one occassion I've seen around 8-10 boats moored in the basin in this way, with no actual breasting up as such.

There may well be other possible mooring spots - in fact I noticed one Clarrie of this parish moored opposite the trip boats adjacent to the ICC. "Surely you can't moor there" I thought, but in fact there is no signage to the contrary so obviously you can. However all these subtle mooring spots are, pretty much by your own admission, of no use if most people don't know they exist / you are allowed to moor there.

As to the SW of Granville st bridge, there usually seem to be some dodgy characters hanging around the steps there so not sure I'd want to moor there anyway!

Last time I went to moor where Clarrie was moored opposite the Burger restaurant one of the trip boats told me I wasn't allowed to moor there as it was a reserved mooring. Not wanting an argument I moved as at the time there were other spaces.

I was told that Sherbourne Wharf pay rent to CRT for the mooring just up from the layby in front of the ICC.

I many be wrong, but they only use the location when the trip boats are working as the pick up and drop off point, they don't moor there. In the past the trip boats have been moored overnight etc, when not working, on the loop by where their offices were. I thought the the moorings were not going to be impacted by the redevelopment, but is seems that we are saying the the boats are now being mooring on the main line, in an insecure location compared which surprises me.

Castle Gardens mooring were empty when I drove past around lunch time today.

Maggie

Full now. A boat was just leaving when we arrived at about 2.30. Lucky, as we would have had to carry on otherwise. We don't like bresting up as we have two gobby Jack Russell's! Edited by Nightwatch

Full now. A boat was just leaving when we arrived at about 2.30. Lucky, as we would have had to carry on otherwise. We don't like bresting up as we have two gobby Jack Russell's!

Grrr. Beat me to it wink.png . I Iooked this morning and it was full. Will have to shuffle along to another 48hr slot to get an extra day or two here.

Whoops just realised you were talking about the Leicester moorings not Cambrian Basin.

Edited by starman

Being in Gas Street at the moment I'm curious to know what 'safe' 14 day moorings there are in central Brum. I only know of Cambrian Wharf but have never found it not full.

The other main 14 day moorings are those that this thread is about, ie both sides of the Main Line by the Fiddle & Bone.

• 2 weeks later...

In the city centre tonight, every mooring on the sea life side or gas street will be suspended from the 23rd until 29th September .......

I'm all for the floating markets BUT to take up ALL of the moorings for SIX days is more than OTT.

I hope the traders are paying a handsome fee for the privilege, but some how I doubt it.

Having found it quite busy there earlier this week, I think they could easily put rings in on the Oozells Loop on the side furthest from the Sea Life, as well as more near the existing rings by the Sea Life. I've never ventured right round the loop to see what else there is further round.

There also seems to be a lot of 'trip boat only' moorings that never get used - although some of them I would think would be a bit noisy near the ICC. It wouldn't be unreasonable to have an extra space or two there.

• Greenie 1

Being in Gas Street at the moment I'm curious to know what 'safe' 14 day moorings there are in central Brum. I only know of Cambrian Wharf but have never found it not full.

Prey, what is your definition of 'safe'?

As has been discussed many times on this forum, unless you mount machine guns fore & aft when cruising through Brum you run the risk of being murdered by pirates and your wife & children captued and sold as slaves!

Prey, what is your definition of 'safe'?

As has been discussed many times on this forum, unless you mount machine guns fore & aft when cruising through Brum you run the risk of being murdered by pirates and your wife & children captued and sold as slaves!

What rubbish.

The pirates have never been known to take the children.