Winding at Gas Street Basin

JudeB

Featured Posts

We are making our way up to Birmingham via the Grand Union and North Stratford in a few days, is it possible to wind at Gas Street Basin? If so, where? And if time allows us to moor for the night, where is the best place? This area is completely new for us so I'd be grateful for any information. Many thanks, Jude

There's plenty of places, you can wind at the Mailbox or Old Turn junction very easily. I think also at Gas St Basin itself too, if somewhat tighter, but there isn't much need. There's visitor moorings on the W&B side of the bar before and after the Mailbox; visitor moorings on the BCN side of the bar; and on the BCN mainline and B&F after Old Turn junction. Its normally not an issue to find a mooring somewhere amongst those places.

As Paul said lots of places to wind. We moored on the mainline outside the Sea life centre last month, it was good no hassles at all. Try and make time for a night there as there is so much to do. Great bars and restaurants really recommend it.

Ian.

We are making our way up to Birmingham via the Grand Union and North Stratford in a few days, is it possible to wind at Gas Street Basin? If so, where? And if time allows us to moor for the night, where is the best place? This area is completely new for us so I'd be grateful for any information. Many thanks, Jude

We've moored on the W&B side of the Bar, and also near the NIA above the Farmer's bridge flight. Latter is handy for the CRT facilities.

Many of the boozers in Broad Street are open until 4 am, and some of the clubs later than that, so it can sometimes be a bit noisy into the early hours.

Never had any yob problems, though. I think the area is pretty well covered with CCTV.

Cheap breakfast at 'Spoons (the Figure of Eight) in Broad Street!

It's possible that the quietest place is on the W&B just round Salvage Turn, near (but not on) the water point, opposite the Cube. Think it's called Holiday Wharf.

Going to try it there when we go up that way again in September, if there's space.

We were cast adrift at 04:00 neat the mailbox some years ago - anyway it's dark, gloomy and noisy there.

Better to go up towards the Worcester Bar (gas Street) or for the sake of 3-5 minutes extra, outside the NIA /BIA plenty of moorings on that side or opposite. Better views (if you can have a view in the middle of a City...

Don't get there late as it fills up.

If it's full go a bit further down the mainline, not quite so pleasant.

That's brilliant just what I wanted thanks everyone. I think you can be cast adrift anywhere it's just bad luck. It happened to us in broad daylight last year in the middle of a town and on a busy tow path while we were below eating dinner. The chap was drunk and when he realised the error of his ways, insisted that he actually tied us up again! Happy boating captain.gif

That's brilliant just what I wanted thanks everyone. I think you can be cast adrift anywhere it's just bad luck. It happened to us in broad daylight last year in the middle of a town and on a busy tow path while we were below eating dinner. The chap was drunk and when he realised the error of his ways, insisted that he actually tied us up again! Happy boating captain.gif

I think it happens if some smart@rse can just flick the mooring line off the bollard as they walk past.

In town and city moorings I usually put mooring chains round the bollard and take the mooring line through the ring and back to the boat, pulling it up tight.

Then it's pretty much impossible to get the chain off the bollard.

You will not even have to use reverse if you use one of the many loops.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4820561,-1.9288956,15z

Unless the boat is very short you would not be able to use the Oozells Street loop as the junction at St Vincent St is at a tight angle.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.478958,-1.91985,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1s32004391!2e1!3e10!6s%2F%2Fstorage.googleapis.com%2Fstatic.panoramio.com%2Fphotos%2Fsmall%2F32004391.jpg!7i1571!8i1373

The Icknield Port loop is a wonderful bit of canal history, it will be "redeveloped" soon so I really recommend that you use that as your method of turning the boat around. It looks like a scary backwater from the entrance but is perfectly navigable and many surprises await.

.............Dave

The Icknield Port loop is a wonderful bit of canal history, it will be "redeveloped" soon so I really recommend that you use that as your method of turning the boat around. It looks like a scary backwater from the entrance but is perfectly navigable and many surprises await.

.............Dave

The Soho loop is also much improved, now almost gentrified since our previous visit xx years ago

It's possible that the quietest place is on the W&B just round Salvage Turn, near (but not on) the water point, opposite the Cube. Think it's called Holiday Wharf.

We've been cast adrift there too.

Best moorings in Brum are on the left at the start of the Oozells Loop. CCTV, rings and security chappies coming round every hour. Good mobile phone and DAB radio coverage too.

To save your PO/cassette usage there are facilities on the way to Cambrian Wharf but....................there are much nicer facilities in the Conference Centre. Gents is on the right, coming from the canal, next to the poncy art dealer.

Unless the boat is very short you would not be able to use the Oozells Street loop as the junction at St Vincent St is at a tight angle.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.478958,-1.91985,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1s32004391!2e1!3e10!6s%2F%2Fstorage.googleapis.com%2Fstatic.panoramio.com%2Fphotos%2Fsmall%2F32004391.jpg!7i1571!8i1373

I can confirm that a 54' boat can turn there! captain.gif

and another vote for the NIA side of Gas Street. We planned our whole two week trip around spending the weekend there!

Or The Icknield Port Road Wharf Loop Line to give it its full name!

I believe I spent the first 6 months of my life in Icknield Port Road, but sadly I just can't remember that far back!

................Dave

We've been cast adrift there too.

Best moorings in Brum are on the left at the start of the Oozells Loop.

Mind you, tucked up three abreast in the corner of Gas St was, surprisingly, OK

Richard

We use cable ties around the ropes,most setting adrift is spur of the moment,so cable ties may be too much effort.We moor in Brum a lot as we're local & were set adrift once in the early days.Never had problems since .We like the Oozels loop or the main line opposite the Barclaycard arena.

Trina

Thanks again for all the replies. We're 62ft so possibly too long for any of the 'loops'?

Definitely not. Go in one end of the loop and out of the other smile.png What people are saying is that one end of the Oozells Street Loop joins the main line at quite a bit of an angle so would be a tricky turn.

Edited by IanM