lack of space in the car park at the Boathouse, Braunston

matty40s

Featured Posts

I like the phrase "was incredibly unhurt" I wonder how unhurt that was :-)

You missed the commas.

They are saying it was incredible that no one was hurt.

Ed missed Athy's post saying much the same.

Edited by MJG

Many years ago there was a film that had that in. can't remember the name now .....

Any ideas?

"Running Scared", directed by the late, great David Hemmings. Starred Gayle Hunnicutt (his wife) and Robert Powell.

Mrs C W and I were a couple of days into our honeymoon on a hire boat out of North Kilworth in September, 1971, when we were held up, with a lot of other peeps, by a sports car (Austin Healey?) in the cut, just before the bridge. It had a dummy at the wheel and was held up by flotation bags.

There was another, identical car on the bridge, together with the ramp they were using to launch the "speeding" car into the canal.

The film crew claimed that there was an explosive charge in the car, but after the mood amongst the waiting boaters started getting ugly, a diver pulled the floating car to one side and allowed us to wiggle gently past. As a boater of 2 days experience, I was rather proud of my manoeuvre actually.

I read that someone found a print of the film a few years ago and it was shown in Braunston community hall (?). Gayle Hunnicutt was the guest of honour!

Is that bit of road there known to be a bit dodgy? I laid my bike down there at low speed (actually vaguely controlled when I realised it was going down and not coming back up!) a few months ago I went to meet the Finchers for dinner. My clutch lever snapped off, but other than that, no damage!

I still have no idea how I did it, and it had been years since I had managed to do anything stupid on my bike. Fortunately, after everyone at the pub got a good look at the twot on the bike, there was plenty of help to hoik it back up again!

"Running Scared", directed by the late, great David Hemmings. Starred Gayle Hunnicutt (his wife) and Robert Powell.

Mrs C W and I were a couple of days into our honeymoon on a hire boat out of North Kilworth in September, 1971, when we were held up, with a lot of other peeps, by a sports car (Austin Healey?) in the cut, just before the bridge. It had a dummy at the wheel and was held up by flotation bags.

There was another, identical car on the bridge, together with the ramp they were using to launch the "speeding" car into the canal.

The film crew claimed that there was an explosive charge in the car, but after the mood amongst the waiting boaters started getting ugly, a diver pulled the floating car to one side and allowed us to wiggle gently past. As a boater of 2 days experience, I was rather proud of my manoeuvre actually.

I read that someone found a print of the film a few years ago and it was shown in Braunston community hall (?). Gayle Hunnicutt was the guest of honour!

Thanks for reminding me, that of course was before the road was straightened and the bridge remodeled

J

It seems likely she was exceeding the temporary 20mph speed limit there too...

And full of pop too

http://m.northantstelegraph.co.uk/news/crime/crime-news/driver-charged-with-drink-driving-after-a-car-flipped-onto-its-roof-and-crashed-into-two-cars-in-pub-car-park-1-6768765

The sister paper to the chronic, not a lot better for accuracy or grammatical content but you get the idea!

Edited by gazza

Why just 'drink-driving'? Attempted murder would be more appropriate - what if there had been people in the cars she squashed? Little kids crushed to death? What if she had stayed on the road and had a head-on collision with another car killing mummy and daddy and their 2 children?

It seems drink-driving is not taken seriously enough anywhere, especially with people whinging that it's unfair or an abuse of Human Rights or an invasion of privacy for the Police to be allowed to breathalyse you now & then.

More importantly, has anyone worked out why the chair was there, and who it belongs to?

• Greenie 1

Walk up the hill a bit and there's The Plough, cozier, away from the traffic and with Sky.

A great reason to avoid any pub. I prefer watching sky, which is free. Far more stars and the occasional planet.

And full of pop toohttp://m.northantstelegraph.co.uk/news/crime/crime-news/driver-charged-with-drink-driving-after-a-car-flipped-onto-its-roof-and-crashed-into-two-cars-in-pub-car-park-1-6768765

The sister paper to the chronic, not a lot better for accuracy or grammatical content but you get the idea!

Great pics though☺

That's why I always park at the canal side of the carpark. I've never seen a boat jump the bank.

I have seen a working boat take out a fence post. They don't sit very far in the water at the front

Richard

Why just 'drink-driving'? Attempted murder would be more appropriate - what if there had been people in the cars she squashed? Little kids crushed to death? What if she had stayed on the road and had a head-on collision with another car killing mummy and daddy and their 2 children?

It seems drink-driving is not taken seriously enough anywhere, especially with people whinging that it's unfair or an abuse of Human Rights or an invasion of privacy for the Police to be allowed to breathalyse you now & then.

More importantly, has anyone worked out why the chair was there, and who it belongs to?

What a start to the morning! Foxy talks complete sense! Can he maintain this throughout the day?

You've said just what I was saying to Mrs. Athy yesterday evening when we first saw the photos - imagine if there had been someone sitting in the cars, or just walking across the car park, there could have been a tragedy.

I would guess that the chair was brought out from the pub by a concerned onlooker or staff member in case the shocked driver needed to sit down.

In an unconfirmed report, a burly bar customer, taking his refreshment after a hard day digging up roads and putting them back again, witnessed the car spinning through the air, looked thoughtfully into his pint glass, said "That's a drop of the real stuff, so" and shambled back inside to order his ninth pint.

There is no chance EmmyFox will get beyond 11am before resorting to character.

The group of people ( about 9 of them) had parked the two cars about 10 minutes earlier and come in for food.

The bus stop was missed by about 10 feet.

Yes, the chair was provided for the driver

to sit on, but she didn't make use of it, preferring the stiff brandy........

There were around 10 kids playing in the garden.

Edited by matty40s

It seems likely she was exceeding the temporary 20mph speed limit there too...

Not as trivial as might be thought. I came across a fair bit of recently resurfaced road in Lincolnshire earlier this week (loose chippings on wet tar -- presumably much cheaper than asphalt) and scoffed at the '20 mph - skid risk' signs. I was only doing about 30 - 35 but the road did get surprisingly slidey. The trouble is, the surfacing contractors do leave the signs out far too long, but if the surface dressing has only just been laid down, you can easily lose steering precision. Maybe that was a factor in the Braunston RTC (yes, I know she may have been imbibing).

I warned myself, now I'm warning the forum members!

Simple answer - because no body died or was seriously injured, and if that had happened, there would be difficulty proving state of mind and intent. Meanwhile, on a daily basis, people manage to leave the road and or crash into each other whilst completely sober, causing injury and death to others, so the logical extrapolation of the 'what might have happened' principle is that driving should be illegal, given that completely trouble free journeys could conceivably have ended in disaster. Whilst we're at it, people have died in boating accidents too, so .....

Had a third party died, the charge would likely be causing death by dangerous driving.

But they didn't.

Some interesting recent stats on drink driving apparently show that females are seemingly not getting the message as quickly as males.

Overall stats show convictions continue to fall for both genders And more males are convicted, however convictions for females are falling at a lesser rate. No idea why that should be.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32789631

On the subject of driving convictions I am heartily sick of people you still see driving using a mobile phone. Personally I would like to see that treated at the same level of seriousness as drink driving. An idiot in Land Rover disco. nearly took the side off my car yesterday pulling out in front of me and guess what he was bloody texting on his phone!!

The air was blue........

Edited by MJG

Some interesting recent stats on drink driving apparently show that females are seemingly not getting the message as quickly as males.

Overall stats show convictions continue to fall for both genders And more males are convicted, however convictions for females are falling at a lesser rate. No idea why that should be.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32789631

On the subject of driving convictions I am heartily sick of people you still see driving using a mobile phone. Personally I would like to see that treated at the same level of seriousness as drink driving. An idiot in Land Rover disco. nearly took the side off my car yesterday pulling out in front of me and guess what he was bloody texting on his phone!!

The air was blue........

I agree. Interestingly in that bastion of road safety Sweden, phoning whilst driving is legal.

Before phoning whilst driving was made illegal, my employer expected me to engaged in long conference calls whilst driving. Sometimes I was a passenger where the driver was expected to participate in a conference call. During this time I observed that there were to types of "phone drivers".

Those who prioritised driving, and stopped talking when the driving got tricky.

Those who prioritied the phone call. These drivers tended to have a few " phenonomal avoidances" during their phone calls.

For the avoidance of doubt I was in the first group. My wife still notes that I suddenly stop talking whilst dealing with a tricky driving situation.

Edited to remove a spurious have.

Edited by cuthound

There is no chance EmmyFox will get beyond 11am before resorting to character.

Yeah - heh!

Had a third party died, the charge would likely be causing death by dangerous driving.

But they didn't.

So that's alright, then.

I suppose drunks are one thing - teenagers are another!:

An idiot in Land Rover disco. nearly took the side off my car yesterday pulling out in front of me and guess what he was bloody texting on his phone!!

My guess is that he was texting "Here comes MJG and I'm gonna pull out in front of him and be famous on canalwor