The End of the Way

Pen n Ink

Featured Posts

So sitting here mulling things over and reading the latest comic, SWMBO and I just decided that we must travel to Bishops Stortford one day, just because it's there and because it's at the "End".

This led me to think that "we must plan to visit all the ends" but how many are there? Including all branches and termini has anyone actually counted? And has anyone done it consciously?

We've not done it on the connected river/canal system but we have takem Grebe to all the heads of Navigation on the Broads, including putting Grebe into the derelict Gelldeston Lock.

We've not done it on the connected river/canal system but we have takem Grebe to all the heads of Navigation on the Broads, including putting Grebe into the derelict Gelldeston Lock.

We have slacked on that as well. We have not taken NC to any of the heads of navigation on the Broads.

Right. A job for next summers Broads trip is to tick a few off.

And at Stortford get on bicycles and follow the River Stort up to it's end - goes through Clavering - vanishes somewhere near Little Chishill. Barley village has the Fox & Hounds pub with rare sign across the road, and Great Chishill has the windmill and long views from the chalk scarp northwards over the plain of Cambridgeshire. Very nice countryside - and still undiscovered. On the way back you could follow the course of the disused Buntingford-Ware branch line (railway) as far as Much Hadham.

Apart from one end of the Oxford (doesn't really count as it joins another canal at Hawkesbury Junction) I think the only "end" we have navigated to is the Ashby at Snarestone. But it's such an attractive waterway that we have done it three times!

Once a year, the two main monthly boating mags give away large maps of the system where you could easily spot all the ends. You've got a few months to wait, though if you are a subscriber you could try phoning them to see if they will send you a spare one.

Here's an unusual one, we did Wilts and Berks near Abingdon (only 100yds of navigable canal)!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Abingdon,+Oxfordshire/@51.6511094,-1.2838497,167m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x4876b5fbc773f093:0x27da7514023f0aa!6m1!1e1

Edited by NickF

I've been to the ends of the connected system (and some of the less-connected system) - perhaps not quite as assiduously as the Tuesday Night Club but to my own satisfaction. On a very few occasions, I think I may have travelled a stretch not visited by the TNC (e.g. to Horsehoe Falls, Llangollen, Chelmsford, or the Old Bedford entrance at Salters Lode) but with very, very few exceptions, TNC has been there too. It does partly depend on the "rules" adopted - does a trip boat or rowing tender count?.

I don't know how many ends there are - but there are quite a few in the Fenland areas. For what its worth, it took a couple of years to see the majority - and more than 40 years for a relatively small proportion.

Hmm. 40 years.

Possibly a bit of an ask for an aspiring old fogey!

Yes - and you are already too late for some "ends" such as Horseshoe Falls or above the Leigh Barrier, Tonbridge or Wednesbury Old Canal - but don't worry, there are new ends appearing quite regularly.

I have done a few such as Ashby, Coventry, Prees branch, Caldon, Llangollen (although I rather regard that as a beginning not an end as horeshoe falls is the canals source not final destination) , Welford Arm a few arms and dead ends of the BCN that I can't remember the names of just at the min some on purpose and some by accident!

We have slacked on that as well. We have not taken NC to any of the heads of navigation on the Broads.

Right. A job for next summers Broads trip is to tick a few off.

Might have a problem with some of the bridges - Potter for instance :-)

Caldon, both branches, Shroppie (Ellesmere Port), Ashby, Oxford, Lanaster (Tewitfield & Glasson) Peak Forest (Whalley Bridge & Bugsworth), Runcorn, Dewsbury, Manchester Ship Canal / River Irwell head of navigation and then a bit. and quite a few on the BCN, Coventry,

Edited by captain birdseye

Caldon, both branches, Shroppie (Ellesmere Port), Ashby, Oxford, Lanaster (Tewitfield & Glasson) Peak Forest (Whalley Bridge & Bugsworth), Runcorn, Dewsbury, Manchester Ship Canal / River Irwell head of navigation and then a bit. and quite a few on the BCN, Coventry,

I forgot Ellesmere port we went there last year plus the end of the Staff & Worcestershire at Stourport

Two ends at the top of the Peak Forest, two far ends of the Caldon, plus the Slough Arm.

Define "end"!

Where do you have to get to to be actually "at the end"

So, taking Whaley Bridge, does winding at Whaley Bridge count, or do you have to reach a particular point. If a particular point, then are we talking the doors, or do you have to get through the warehouse to the VERY end.

Bugsworth, where is the end? (I have at least 3 contenders), or is Bugsworth multiple ends?

Leek Branch, is passing the tunnel enough, or must you nose into the feeder?

Define "end"!

Where do you have to get to to be actually "at the end"

So, taking Whaley Bridge, does winding at Whaley Bridge count, or do you have to reach a particular point. If a particular point, then are we talking the doors, or do you have to get through the warehouse to the VERY end.

Bugsworth, where is the end? (I have at least 3 contenders), or is Bugsworth multiple ends?

Leek Branch, is passing the tunnel enough, or must you nose into the feeder?

Went up the Thames with Sandbach past Inglesham lock until we touched bottom, then we backed out. Does that count? smile.png

George ex nb Alton retired