Costly mistakes you have made!

homer2911

Featured Posts

Costly mistakes, well lots I suppose, buying an old wooden boat was one but that was years ago. I can live with wasting a bit of money, its the toe curling embarrassing mistakes that make me want to disappear into a hole on the ground that hurt! No examples I care to print but quite a few come into the ' I thought you felt the same way about me' mistake.

I think your contribution is categorised as 'not getting into the spirit of the thread'. No pun intended.

It's a bit like the nonsense we get get on here when some body asks 'what is your favourite TV program' and somebody chortles back ' I don't have one I never watch TV'

........so what? one feels compelled to ask.

Or perhaps his "spirit of the thread" and yours are just different things? I don't think we all have to follow some sort of "thought consensus". Who's the judge of that anyway? As you say, participation isn't mandatory but if Casp doesn't recall making costly mistakes then his post seems reasonable to me. Personally, I think the nonsense starts and the spirit of the thread is broken when someone gets unnecessarily "called" on their post, but that's just my opinion.

I've made many mistakes, some costlier than others. When added together I'm sure they've cost me a small fortune.

Moving to the UK. Everything is ridiculously expensive here.

Buying a boat.

Forgetting the password to an encrypted partition containing a bitcoin wallet.

Dropping phone in canal

Edited by Delta9

Funny how you forget things! I too have dropped a phone in the canal - stupidly had it in the top pocket of my shirt, working the locks at Bosley. You know that O2 advert with the bubbles?

I've also lost a Seasearch magnet, the very first time I used it - threw it into a lock whilst water was still draining. It got caught in the paddle 'ole in the gate and nothing would shift it.

Forgetting that in order to terminate a long term mooring agreement with CRT you need to give two not one months notice and so now paying for a mooring for much longer than I actually need to.

sad.png

Forgetting that in order to terminate a long term mooring agreement with CRT you need to give two not one months notice and so now paying for a mooring for much longer than I actually need to.:(

Did you accidentally commit yourself to an extra year, or merely an extra month?

Did you accidentally commit yourself to an extra year, or merely an extra month?

It ended up being two months more than I really needed, though I would have been OK about one month.

I wanted to be 100% sure the boat could be collected by Matty and was gone before I gave notice, so I was perhaps being over cautious anyway but not too concerned about taking a hit on a months worth of mooring costs. As soon as the boat was gone I gave what I recalled as the minimum notice of one month, to be reminded actually it's two months you have to give.

As perhaps one would expect the moorings manager Rob Taylor at Leeds was unmoved by my request to reduce it to a month given the mooring has now been empty for two weeks and will be until the agreement ends on the 17th May 2015, at the earliest. Given it's in the T&C's perhaps unexpected really.

So an expensive mistake but not as expensive as if it had been a year. (the agreement was due to end anyway at the end of August).

Forgetting that in order to terminate a long term mooring agreement with CRT you need to give two not one months notice and so now paying for a mooring for much longer than I actually need to.

sad.png

Ahh but do you still " Need " the mooring? are you a PROPER ccer without one or a cmer when ya boats oop for sale?

wink.png

Tim

I once booked a holiday to Poland and forgot to go on it. In my defence, it was the 90s, an interesting journey of a decade for me!

one of my more exciting holidays was to Poland, in the Feb after the Berlin wall came down an amazing mix of Awe at passing through Berlin at what was such an optimistic and wonderful time, plus massively long and drunken train journeys sharing our booze with our fellow travellers, being fined by scary female Polish train guards (i think the fines were for just being Englishclapping.gif ), staying in the most bizarre hostels, culminating in 1 day skiing (spending 1 day skiding on my arse down a hill at frighting speeds) and to top it off the return journey.

fanbloodytastic

It ended up being two months more than I really needed, though I would have been OK about one month.

I wanted to be 100% sure the boat could be collected by Matty and was gone before I gave notice, so I was perhaps being over cautious anyway but not too concerned about taking a hit on a months worth of mooring costs. As soon as the boat was gone I gave what I recalled as the minimum notice of one month, to be reminded actually it's two months you have to give.

As perhaps one would expect the moorings manager Rob Taylor at Leeds was unmoved by my request to reduce it to a month given the mooring has now been empty for two weeks and will be until the agreement ends on the 17th May 2015, at the earliest. Given it's in the T&C's perhaps unexpected really.

So an expensive mistake but not as expensive as if it had been a year. (the agreement was due to end anyway at the end of August).

We did the same when we moved out of Hilperton Marina. Had lined up a new mooring and gave notice - only to find that it was 3 months notice not one! That was pretty costly. And annoying.

Not putting the word "glasses" beside the number I put on the consumption report submitted to the Matri'd before she made up the bill that was sent to the client,

Long story short, he paid the bill before going off on his honeymoon - we in turn paid the gratuities out to the staff - he returned from said honeymoon and queried how 150 people could possibly have drank over 400 "Bottles" of wine.

The hotel quickly refunded in excess of $7,000 (that was about 25 years ago, so not sure what it would be in todays money), believe it or not; no one lost their job over the mistake!!

He has obviously never been to an Irish wedding.cheers.gif