Worcester & Birmingham, ufn btwn Gas st & Granville St

springy

Featured Posts

I think we need to find another map

Richard

If you change the overlay on the map you linked to, to the OS 1937-1961, the L shaped bit at the end of the NW arm is shown in isolation, looking more like a building than an arm. Off to bed now but tomorrow I'll have a look at the 1945 aerial overlay on Google Earth to see if that allows differentiation between the L bit as an arm vs a building. Edited by nicknorman

That's pretty categorical, thanks, although it does seem to say that there is no L shaped bit at the end. The apparent gaps in the arms are presumably where they are covered by buildings.

It's amazing how much industry was there, now replaced by nightclubs and hotels. Oh and I now realise that the outlines drawn on Richard and Dave's map are not buildings, but absence of building, presumably courtyards etc (and canal arms).

Edited by nicknorman

Thanks Richard, that's excellent. You wouldn't happen to have the map that covers where the railway tunnels are would you?

Nick - I forget that what I know isn't always obvious. Birmingham was very intensely developed by that time, so i automatically read the map as mostly buildings with gaps shown. Richard's map is wonderful as it puts businesses to the canal arms. On the other hand, businesses then seemed to come and go at great frequency, so the ones shown may not be the originals on those sites, or use the canal

Richard

Thanks Richard, that's excellent. You wouldn't happen to have the map that covers where the railway tunnels are would you?

Nick - I forget that what I know isn't always obvious. Birmingham was very intensely developed by that time, so i automatically read the map as mostly buildings with gaps shown. Richard's map is wonderful as it puts businesses to the canal arms. On the other hand, businesses then seemed to come and go at great frequency, so the ones shown may not be the originals on those sites, or use the canal

Richard

Sorry, I don't. That one cost me £11 to download!!! You can see it on http://www.old-maps.co.uk but you don't get to zoom all the way in unless you buy the map.

Try http://bcnsociety.com/bcn-society-news/ , there's a map on there at the moment, looks to be quite a large download if you click on it

Brilliant! This is it: https://bcnsociety.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/salvage-turn-tunnels.png and it is big

Notice the Corporation yard on Salvage turn, this was the rubbish disposal yard

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Something for our man-on-the-spot. It looks like there is a footpath called Holliday Passage that runs parallel to Bridge Street from Holliday St to the Mailbox:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Gas+Street+Basin,+Gas+St,+Birmingham,+West+Midlands+B1+2JT/@52.475966,-1.9066945,19z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x4870bcf44faa40a9:0x1ad86b7201e73bd5

I think you should be able to see over the wall of that to the yard where the tunnel comes out

Richard

You missed the basin that is an extension of the 'Mailbox' arm. I'm ashamed I don't know the proper name

Map now updated to include the above - the "Severn Street Arm" and the Gibsons Arm and Baskerville Basin.

And before anyone asks, the Gibsons Arm ran through the Gibsons Tunnel beneath Cambridge Street, so is not disconnected from the rest of the canal, as it appears.

To respond to Nick's point, my source for this information is a copy of the map "Canals of Birmingham", available from cartographics.co.uk, but not as far as I am aware available online. This does show the western branch at Gas Street having a short transverse bit at the end.

Bham2.PNG

This to me is CWDF at its best. What a lot I have learned because a tunnel sprang a leak!

Thanks you folks,

Haggis

Well said Haggis. Good innit?

Holliday Passage has high walls either side but I'll try and go down later and see what I can find.

Well said Haggis. Good innit?

Holliday Passage has high walls either side but I'll try and go down later and see what I can find.

If you walk up Holiday Street northwards from the aqueduct past steps to holiday passage and past the large building (Q) on the right then turn right down the private road at the side of the building, go to the bottom and turn right and you will see the tunnel doors you can walk right up to them. You will need boots if it is still flooded.

I am surprised that the tunnel roof cannot be seen where they have drained the canal, as looking at height above the top of the tunnel to where Holiday passage is very small.

http://www.demotix.com/photo/6941262/birmingham-canal-threatens-flood-and-close-west-coast-mainline

The really annoying thing about all this is that I was in Birmingham the weekend before last, staying at the Canalside Premier Inn, which almost overlooks this site.

There was b*gger all happening on the canal at the time. Hardly any boats around, and didn't see anything moving.

One week on, there's all this interesting stuff happening!

Edited by PaulG

Sorry, I don't. That one cost me £11 to download!!! You can see it on http://www.old-maps.co.uk but you don't get to zoom all the way in unless you buy the map.

Try this link - you can overlay the current map/google image with the 1888 6"inch OS plan or view them side by side - the choice is yours.http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=15&lat=52.47611&lon=-1.90384&layers=6

You have the wrong flower Dave , Richard has one and he's a little primrose , are they actually Primrose sticks I wonder :) :)

Back to serious , how are the CRT boys getting on . Any idea of where the problem lies ie under the mixer the Gordon's gin bottle or the skull or elsewhere.

Edited by madcat

You have the wrong flower Dave , Richard has one and he's a little primrose , are they actually Primrose sticks I wonder :) :)

Back to serious , how are the CRT boys getting on . Any idea of where the problem lies ie under the mixer the Gordon's gin bottle or the skull or elsewhere.

I wasn't referring to daffs...

9003C8E4-66B1-47BA-963B-11A18323C523_zps

The tunnel! A small amount of water dribbling out, but not a lot really.

114B185E-0F38-498D-B6FD-79C8C43D4475_zps