Worcester & Birmingham, ufn btwn Gas st & Granville St

springy

Featured Posts

I don't think an unplanned stoppage like this can be opened up to the public to wander around. As has been said, their main aim is (should be?) getting it fixed and filled up again. Fortunately its a very populated area, and one that is known by a lot of knowledgeable people, so I reckon the non-official observations from outside the fence are all we could reasonably hope for!

Most of the problems we've found around Brum (and there have been far fewer than I expected) have been caused by local low life who treat the canals as a dump for everything from sofas to car parts or scrotes find it fun to chuck shopping trolleys off bridges, spray graffiti or vandalise locks.

Any organisation would struggle to cope with that and to focus all one's bile on the present one seems decidedly one-eyed.

Just to reiterate though, we've found most of Brum and most local people absolutely great.

• Greenie 1

I can answer my own question - the canal hopefully opens again middle of next week.

The leak is right in the side where the towpath widens out over the water (by estate agent and Thai restaurant). Possibly the bed weakened by that widening.

Being cleared and refilled with clay today and tomorrow. Network Rail doing stuff in tunnel roof too. Scrap etc being removed from canal, test filling and if all ok then full refill.

Did you get this info from CRT? The stoppages page still says, 'until further notice'.

Did you get this info from CRT? The stoppages page still says, 'until further notice'.

From the Cambrian Wharf office but I guess they won't say anything officially until they have test filled and checked.

swmbo says where did the coal scuttle go?

We are away visiting ATM and missing the action.

swmbo says where did the coal scuttle go?

Anyway back to the topic

What's been happening at Gas Street today then? Any progress?

Where's our man on the spot?

I moved on after the weekend, so I can't do it, but maybe the man in the spot could start a new thread for those just interested in relevant info and useful updates?

This thread could then be moved to a new "Virtual Boxing Ring" perhaps?

Didn't think it was Bazza, apologies if I accidentally implied differently . I was actually picking up more on your 'back to the topic' comment as I agree with you that it's an interesting one.

Also one which has affected my planning and cruising, so I'd like to continue follow it.

I think that CRT lost a great opportunity here to promote themselves.They have improved their public image over the last couple of years by allowing the public to see how they renovate repairs I.E Lock chambers etc,which I think is great.How often do you get to see part of the canal like this in the City of Birmingham.

In fact, it happens on most days because short pounds in flights of locks run dry through knackered, or fouled, gates, paddles or cills. C&RT don't publicise that , of course, because it demonstrates that their standards of maintenance and repairs is falling well short of what's required.

I was in a meeting with Keith Wright and Jenny Whitehall yesterday and I knew more than they did.

But did they know how to justify our unreasonable moorings increases?

Does city centre stoppage with restricted movement and lots of entertaining viewing class as a plus or a minus in the process?

The pictures show concrete pillars going down which support the towpath extension over the canal, are these just resting on the clay puddling? If so it is not surprising it is leaking and will do so again. Where has all the rubble (bricks) along that edge come from, is it the original canal wall?

Where has all the rubble (bricks) along that edge come from, is it the original canal wall?

There is a lot of rubble on the far side (non-towpath) where the 'new' housing development is. I wouldn't be surprised if the builder saved himself some cart away costs by tipping the 'arisings' in a convenient (and free) location, tut tut

Anyone got photos of the latest status of this stoppage?

Sorry no pics but walked along there this morning and the large scrap metal stuff is out, the pump is off so water is finding it's way slowly back in past the dams.

My guess is enough will have returned by Monday for them to check the repair is ok and start to refill maybe checking as the depth increases before re opening.

Just got a call from Rachel at Cambrian Wharf Office, she advises that, pending anything untoward happening as they finish the job, the hope is to have the canal open by next Friday (Friday the 13th, what could possibly go wrongunsure.png ). Think I'll hang around in Brum to see if it happens.