Worcester & Birmingham, ufn btwn Gas st & Granville St

springy

Featured Posts

By the vale do you mean Castle Vale? I can't see why anyone would want to hang around there waiting for the stoppage to end, there are much better (and safer) 14 day moorings along from the NIA. I wouldn't want to moor between Salford Junct and Curdworth except to do the 2 locks

"The Vale" is the park in Edgbaston by the University, where the winding hole that the trip boats turn round is. So a mile or so down the W&B from Salvage Turn.

"The Vale" is the park in Edgbaston by the University, where the winding hole that the trip boats turn round is. So a mile or so down the W&B from Salvage Turn.

Ah, thanks John, that makes sense. I'm just used to Brummies referring to the Castle Vale estate as 'The Vale'.

Surprising the word hasn't filtered a mile or so down the canal given it opened yesterday, there must have been boats coming through heading south. But then it may have by now, Dave's post about seeing a line of moored boats was earlier this morning.

Edited by Kendal

CART State:-

"To plug the leak and make the canal watertight the bottom of the canal was relined with a new layer of clay, together with cement repairs, to plug any small holes in the aqueduct which carries the canal over the railway tunnel"

Did anyone see this work being done, was there any pictures?

We got a snap of a couple of blokes digging out the area prior to repair - but only by asking a third contractor to take it! It was so close to the side that impossible to snap from outside the railings except maybe by long lens from the bridge if you were determined.

You can see it here

http://tugharry.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/fixing-hole-where-rain-gets-in.html?m=1

Edited by starman

I went past the Vale today at about 4.30pm. 3 guys on a hire boat moored there called out to ask if the canal had reopened. It seems the towpath telegraph isn't always full proof! The rest of the boats there turned out to be some of the local cc'ers/cm'ers on closer inspection. Some of them haven't moved of that stretch for around a year now.

Its Open

12 March 2015

WORCESTER & BIRMINGHAM CANAL UPDATE

The Canal & River Trust, the charity that cares for 2,000 miles of canals in England & Wales, has today reopened the Worcester & Birmingham Canal between Gas Street Basin and the Mailbox in central Birmingham after it had to close for emergency repairs.

Engineers from the Trust have spent the last three weeks repairing a leak from the canal after water was seen escaping into a disused railway tunnel located under the canal.

To plug the leak and make the canal watertight the bottom of the canal was relined with a new layer of clay, together with cement repairs, to stop up any small holes in the aqueduct which carries the canal over the railway tunnel.

Lawrence Tall, from the Canal & River Trust, said: “There was more work required than we first anticipated but, despite this, I’m delighted we’ve managed to reopen the canal ahead of schedule to allow boaters to cruise along the canals in Birmingham this Easter.”

Edited by Martin@75