Steve Hudson

nicknorman

Featured Posts

I'm not sure whether publishing this is in bad taste or not, but I do so in case there is yet another round of Hudson-bashing in the near future, which I might now find rather inappropriate. Steve died in hospital yesterday after a very short illness, aged I think late 50s. He is survived by his wife Dianne and his three daughters. That they must be devastated is surely an understatement.

Edited by nicknorman

That is a great shock. You were perfectly right to mention the news.

I wonder if the hard work and stress involved in building up one of the country's most consistently successful waterways businesses caught up with him.

I'm not sure whether publishing this is in bad taste or not, but I do so in case there is yet another round of Hudson-bashing in the near future, which I might now find rather inappropriate. Steve died in hospital yesterday after a very short illness, aged I think late 50s. He is survived by his wife Dianne and his three daughters. That they must be devastated is surely an understatement.

Oh dear. Sad new indeed. My condolences to his family.

Despite all the p!ss taking, I have the deepest respect for his engineering standards and the way he built his boats.

MtB

• Greenie 1

We broke down earlier this year just over the Aquaduct north of Glascote Basin, complete bike round the prop. Without a thought and refusing payment I was given one of his guys with a large hacksaw etc. to help me pull it off. Took a couple of hours. Sad loss.

This news has not yet reached the company's web site.

I wonder if the company will continue without him - I suspect that in the perception of many people, he WAS the company.

His non compomising attitude over the shape of his boats has made them a well recognised brand

We were looking a getting one built and his basic statement was, "I have the bow and stern, what you do in the middle is up to you (within reason)"

He would be a tough act to follow

This news has not yet reached the company's web site.

I wonder if the company will continue without him - I suspect that in the perception of many people, he WAS the company.

Very true - I think the greatest tribute he could be given is for the business to survive and prosper.

Thanks for letting us know, what an awful thing.

I'm not a fan of his boats, but there is no doubt about his contribution to industry and he will be much missed.

Condolences to his family and to the workforce who must now be worried about the future of the yard, I guess. Lets hope that it is able to carry on producing high quality boats for many years.

I suspect given the way he has systemised the bow and stern and doesn't get diverted into non-standard products, there is every chance the business can be continued.

Whether his family would wish to is another matter. It would be a big load on them to step into the driving seat, or I should say the steering position. (What IS the correct name for the 'steering position' on a Hudson?)

MtB

I suspect given the way he has systemised the bow and stern and doesn't get diverted into non-standard products, there is every chance the business can be continued.

Whether his family would wish to is another matter. It would be a big load on them to step into the driving seat, or I should say the steering position.

MtB

Right now I doubt they are thinking about it, but eventually there is Martyn the manager, plus the workforce of 15 or so to think about. Maybe Martyn will be able to run the show, or perhaps selling the business as a going concern might be a good idea, like Goldsborough etc did.

Did Steve personally do all or most of the steelwork himself? In other words, are there workers there capable of replicating the utterly distinctive shape of a Hudson boat? If not, perhaps it won't carry on.

Did Steve personally do all or most of the steelwork himself? In other words, are there workers there capable of replicating the utterly distinctive shape of a Hudson boat? If not, perhaps it won't carry on.

As far as I know the steelwork was mostly done by his in-house welders and fitters, but of course he kept a very hands-on presence in the workshops and seemed to keep a lot of information in his head. I think he could do all the jobs he asked of his workforce, but he was the driver, not the engine.

A sad loss to the industry and of course his family, friends and all that knew him. Whatever one may think about his distinctive, and some might say 'marmite' boats, he will always feature in the list of the 'top ten' quality boat builders.

I was really shocked when I heard this news this morning. I spent a day with him just a couple of weeks ago, and he was on fine form. He could come across as rather grumpy on first meeting, but once you'd met him a few times he was very friendly and funny. He certainly knew what he liked, and was prepared to speak up for it. There's no doubting the quality of the workmanship in his boats, both inside and out.

I actually asked him a couple of weeks ago how hands on he was these days, and he said his staff did the work to his specifications -- although they were all well aware that he could do all their jobs if needed.

He'll certainly be missed in this business.

As far as I know the steelwork was mostly done by his in-house welders and fitters, but of course he kept a very hands-on presence in the workshops and seemed to keep a lot of information in his head. I think he could do all the jobs he asked of his workforce, but he was the driver, not the engine.

Yes I remember him telling me he could turn his hands to anything on a boat although I believe he served his apprenticeship as a plumber. I think he saved the Lister rebuilds for himself though.