BCN Challenge 2015

Dave_P

Featured Posts

This seems unlikely...

Although if the mood takes us I suspect we could cover some distance pretty rapidly. Especially if I bring me bike for setting ahead :)

I would be keen on doing some boating and seeing bits of the BCN we have not seen before, obviously Star can well err well erm just be star I suppose

Now look, being Star is a full time job, you know...

Let's hope MtB doesn't completely forget his bike and leave it miles back dumped on the towpath, only to remember two hours later mid lock flight, having to leave me to it while he ran back for it... :D

Edited by Starcoaster

I was all for just mooching about and seeing new bits of the BCN this year. However, my boat's length is definitely favoured by the new rules this year so it's tempting to have a proper go! Having said that, a certain forum member with a 50' boat is likely to go all out. If I was a betting man, that where my money would go.

My crew isn't quite settled yet but it's likely to include an author who is currently writing a book about the BCN

Has anyone heard from TheCatWhoWalks? Can he update his excellent route planner for 2015?

There we go, planner updated with new rules: http://www.thecatwhowalksbyhimself.co.uk/bcnChallenge.php

I swear they chop these around every year just to give me something to do. It still says 2014, but I'll upload a new title when I get on my other laptop (don't have the right font on this one).

Let me know when you find the inevitable errors.

• Greenie 1

There we go, planner updated with new rules: http://www.thecatwhowalksbyhimself.co.uk/bcnChallenge.php

I swear they chop these around every year just to give me something to do. It still says 2014, but I'll upload a new title when I get on my other laptop (don't have the right font on this one).

Let me know when you find the inevitable errors.

Cant seem to go north through the dudley tunnel

Edited by Dave_P

As a suggestion for Laurie/Clarrie - Wolverhampton to Bradley Workshops will score you 6.5 points. cheers.gif

Added: Better still - Black Country Museum to Bradley = 4.5 points.

Edited by Dave_P

• 2 weeks later...

hello, before we ask on general forum we thought to post here 1st! I have now been given work till 22nd May which means Paul © will be single handing boat to Birmingham wednesday to friday ( with Bella's help but her 4 little legs and her aversion to locks hampers a little!) So if any one is in the area odf the Wolverhapton 21 during the afternoon of friday 22nd (may)and is able to lock wind it would be greatly appreciated!

Secondly i will be getting train to Wolverhampton early evening, is the canal easily assessible by the station before tunnel or is it best for paul to meet me in the basin at the top of the 21 ( where last year we searched in vain for a clue!) and if so is it possible to find that easily on foot by an idiot who cannot map read to save her life (me!)

Thanks

cheers.gif

Added: Better still - Black Country Museum to Bradley = 4.5 points.

That's the route for me.. Well actually "John The Lock" moorings for a starting place.

As a matter of interest in the unlikely event of me finishing at Bradley workshop, can we get out to the local pub etc. or are we fenced in?

hello, before we ask on general forum we thought to post here 1st! I have now been given work till 22nd May which means Paul © will be single handing boat to Birmingham wednesday to friday ( with Bella's help but her 4 little legs and her aversion to locks hampers a little!) So if any one is in the area odf the Wolverhapton 21 during the afternoon of friday 22nd (may)and is able to lock wind it would be greatly appreciated!

Secondly i will be getting train to Wolverhampton early evening, is the canal easily assessible by the station before tunnel or is it best for paul to meet me in the basin at the top of the 21 ( where last year we searched in vain for a clue!) and if so is it possible to find that easily on foot by an idiot who cannot map read to save her life (me!)

Thanks

we will be doing the same, our crew are getting the train to Wolverhampton to. So there may well be two of us toiling up the twenty one at dusk on Friday. Hopefully in time for a pint in the Great Western

It is easy to get on the towpath just near the station. See you up there

Secondly i will be getting train to Wolverhampton early evening, is the canal easily assessible by the station before tunnel

Don't go straight ahead when leaving the station but turn right as soon as you pass through the doors. In the corner you will find a flight of steps going down to a tunnel back under the station. At the other end turn left (or right for the Great Western) and at the junction with the main road turn left again to go back under the station (again)

On the other side of the bridge there is a gateway that leads into the basin and sanny station (but it may be locked). From the basin there is a gate (BW key needed) that opens onto the towpath by the moorings. Or, if the first gate is locked, cross to the other side of the road and the moorings above the top lock are just across an open space.

we will be doing the same, our crew are getting the train to Wolverhampton to. So there may well be two of us toiling up the twenty one at dusk on Friday. Hopefully in time for a pint in the Great Western

It is easy to get on the towpath just near the station. See you up there

You could always start the challenge from the bottom of the 21.