can anybody help a friend

Smudge

Featured Posts

I've found our 60' narrowboat steers and manoeuvres better when breasted up to another one, maybe it's down to the fact more revs are needed to maintain the same speed therefore more prop thrust on the rudder?

Not tried it on a narrowboat but we would always move the cruisers breasted up if we needed one person to move two boats. I agree that once you have the knack its much easier unless you have a tow post on the pivot point of the tow boat.

Good news everybody! The two gentlemen moored behind me have been watching my vain attempts today and have offered to tow me to Buckby in the morning :-D

Captain Fizz, my boat is 50'

I'm hoping that the repairs will be done and to be on my way on Thursday... Fingers crossed!

Hooray, glad to hear there are some gentlemen around. Buckby is a much better place to be, if for no other reason than having a good pub.

If I was around to give a tow I would definitely breast up for the locks and do all the rest (especially the tunnel) on short cross-straps as I have done for that exact journey several times in the past.

Fingers crossed now for RCR.

It's best to use two short ropes that cross over like this (taken while I was towing a boat through Crick Tunnel).

BB039r.jpg

These two ropes are attached to the two stern dollies of my boat.

By adjusting them you can make the towed boat follow you quite precisely. It stays straight behind you on the straights, and neither cuts the corners nor swings outside on the corners, but it does of course run into you when you stop.

It's best to use two short ropes that cross over like this (taken while I was towing a boat through Crick Tunnel).

BB039r.jpg

These two ropes are attached to the two stern dollies of my boat.

By adjusting them you can make the towed boat follow you quite precisely. It stays straight behind you on the straights, and neither cuts the corners nor swings outside on the corners, but it does of course run into you when you stop.

I do agree.

I wouldn't recommend it if the boat being towed on cross straps is bigger and heavier than the boat towing it though, its inertia is liable to jacknife both on pulling up.

It just calls for a bit more planning and thinking ahead (and remembering to duck if the boat you're towing has a long bowsprit)

I wouldn't recommend it if the boat being towed on cross straps is bigger and heavier than the boat towing it though, its inertia is liable to jacknife both on pulling up.

Managed to tow "Sculptor" (71' 6" working boat) on straps with "Sickle" (40 foot) at the weekend with no jackknifing incidents, (and certainly had to pull up a few times). I believe "Sickle's" former owner spent many weeks boating around with a full length butty on straps.

Managed to tow "Sculptor" (71' 6" working boat) on straps with "Sickle" (40 foot) at the weekend with no jackknifing incidents, (and certainly had to pull up a few times). I believe "Sickle's" former owner spent many weeks boating around with a full length butty on straps.

Sickle successfully towing Sculptor at this year's Village at War event.

15041780678_9e5156665f_o.jpgDSC_0074 by kathryn.dodington, on Flickr

Edited by Leo No2

If the AA left a female broken down and stranded for 24 hours there would be a right stink I,d be aiming for a bit of discount for next years membership if I were you, hope you get sorted in the morning good luck

You don't usually have a bed, a cooker,a toilet, spare clothes,a towpath to go shopping, ducks to feed and a tank full of water for tea and coffee when you break down in a car.

I still think if someone is stuck and you are the river and canal rescue the least you should do is turn up when your expected I don't disagree that your at home and can have a brew but if it was AA home start I,d still be a little miffed if I was kept waiting until the next day, know real beef just my thoughts

Hopefully, all will be rectified today and MN will be on her way.

It did give us the chance for a mini banter at the New Inn when Tuscan showed up.

The engine in question has thrown a quite spectacular hissy fit, and is now sulking in the corner of the engine space surrounded by bits of errant drive coupling!