The things that nobody thinks to tell you.... Part 2

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Is it only me who is confused about this post which seems to have nothing to do with the post it is replying to which was posted nearly 9 years ago

Same here.

I'd report the post for being off topic but I've so little confidence my report would be acted upon, I won't be bothering.

48 minutes ago, MtB said:

Same here.

I'd report the post for being off topic but I've so little confidence my report would be acted upon, I won't be bothering.

Action has been taken, but I don't feel that I have the authority to say what but it seems sensible.

• Happy 1

14 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Action has been taken, but I don't feel that I have the authority to say what but it seems sensible.

IF YOU MAKE A TECHNICAL MISTAKE LIKE SAYING REMOVING BALLAST IS OK, YOU SHOULD CORRECT IT, But instead you complain to the mods that it's my fault !! In safety terms some of the regular know it alls are a menace and a bad example to others. Also rather than post opinions try to do what I do and post links, even if they are not perfect in terms of the subject matter. 

• Unimpressed 1

17 minutes ago, Lifeboat Elsie May said:

IF YOU MAKE A TECHNICAL MISTAKE LIKE SAYING REMOVING BALLAST IS OK, YOU SHOULD CORRECT IT, But instead you complain to the mods that it's my fault !! In safety terms some of the regular know it alls are a menace and a bad example to others. Also rather than post opinions try to do what I do and post links, even if they are not perfect in terms of the subject matter. 

Just do one..

32 minutes ago, Lifeboat Elsie May said:

Yes, do one.

32 minutes ago, Lifeboat Elsie May said:

Exactly how is removing ballast from a UK canal boat dangerous? Especially as most have movable trimming ballast.

Anyway, I did not say removing ballast was OK. I said if a heavy engine was fitted then the boat would have less ballast to bring it to the correct draft, while if a lighter engine was fitted then more ballast would be needed to obtain the correct draft. That is all. In the majority of cases the bat is ballasted when new and that includes allowing for engine weight.

Please take your own advice and correct the drivel you post and make sure your sources are relevant to the discussion.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

One wonders about the liability of the forum and its owner when somebody dies or is injured as a result of dangerous advice posted by one of the forum members.

If it was me I wouldnt want to risk testing it.

Especially when the danger of the advice has been highlighted.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its what he does.

I thought he just posted crap about oil additives and his BMC - which he now seems to forgotten he has and has a different engine now.

17 minutes ago, M_JG said:

One wonders about the liability of the forum and its owner when somebody dies or is injured as a result of dangerous advice posted by one of the forum members.

If it was me I wouldnt want to risk testing it.

Especially when the danger of the advice has been highlighted.

I'm sure there must be a disclaimer somewhere - just like we have on Canalplan  .... and there is

Canal World accepts no responsibility or liability for any user submitted content.

Edited by StephenA

9 minutes ago, M_JG said:

My understanding is you can't simply dismiss liability by just saying you dont accept liability.

In most cases, there is no strict liability by website operators for third party content. If you set up a new website which includes a review section or an online discussion forum, you need to be aware that despite stringent UK laws, as a general rule, forum operators are not liable for the comments posted by users on their website but there are some exceptions to the rule.

The reason why website operators are not responsible for third party content most of the time is that these internet fora are often places where third party comments are disseminated and operators are normally unaware, and cannot feasibly be aware, of contentious comments without notification. Generally, there is no strict liability on website operators to either monitor or review comments posted on their website by third parties.

https://www.internetlawcentre.co.uk/legal-liability-of-review-website-operators-in-the-uk

2 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Lots of stuff about defamation there.

We arent discussing defamation.

But if you want to use that as a parallel then the operator has an obligation to remove defamatory stuff if they are made aware of it if the poster doesnt when asked.

So what happens if dangerous advice is highlighted and isnt removed?

Can you say with 100% certainty the forum would be on rock sold ground?

1 hour ago, Lifeboat Elsie May said:

Take heed of 

Genesis 1:28

3 hours ago, StephenA said:

Is it only me who is confused about this post which seems to have nothing to do with the post it is replying to which was posted nearly 9 years ago

It is something an AI bot will do to generate traffic, and then continue in the vein observed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/07/2023 at 18:52, MtB said:

Same here.

I don't believe that going off topic is a violation of rules, the exception being Politics.

Edited by LadyG