Mooring at Goole

Theo

Featured Posts

We will be stopping in Goole for a bit. I phoned Viking but they have no spaces but they suggested that the ornery CRT moorings seem quite ok and safe to leave the boat. He didn't know if they were time restricted to less than the default 14 days. Anyone know? Anyone have an opinion on the suggestion that it is ok to leave the boat there for a week or so.?

TIA

Nick

We will be stopping in Goole for a bit. I phoned Viking but they have no spaces but they suggested that the ornery CRT moorings seem quite ok and safe to leave the boat. He didn't know if they were time restricted to less than the default 14 days. Anyone know? Anyone have an opinion on the suggestion that it is ok to leave the boat there for a week or so.?

TIA

Nick

Try Paul Waddington at Goole Boathouse - the other marina in Goole next to the Waterways Museum; he may be able to help.

01405 763985

Howard

TIA

Nick

The visitor moorings at Goole (next to the Waterways museum) are 72 hours max. so if its longer than this that you need you will need one of the other options. The VM's are fully accessible by the public but I have not heard of any issues for boats moored there. I'm not sure that I would leave our boat unattended there though.

When we were there a few weeks ago I know some people were leaving their boat at goole boathouse so worth a call. Also don't know if the waterways museum has any space alongside some of their boats?

It's a good place to look round tho. If you are there at a weekend I would recommend a trip round the docks that run from the museum.

Cheers

Gareth

Rawcliffe Bridge was a CRT mooring site but is now let to a private operator who has fenced round the site so now secure. Officially no liveaboard due to explosion risk from the chemical works opposite. If you do go there the Black Horse next door sells good beer.

I would have thought it OK to moor just up the canal from the museum on the piling. It is only the tanker to Rotherham to worry about nowadays.

Rawcliffe Bridge was a CRT mooring site but is now let to a private operator who has fenced round the site so now secure. Officially no liveaboard due to explosion risk from the chemical works opposite. If you do go there the Black Horse next door sells good beer.

I would have thought it OK to moor just up the canal from the museum on the piling. It is only the tanker to Rotherham to worry about nowadays.

When we went through a couple of weeks ago there was still room for a couple of boats on the visitors mooring by the bridge. The pontoons all looked a bit sad...we commented at the time it could be a nice little marina although the chemical works does give off an odd smell!

The piling might need some wire strops to go through the holes in it...it's industrial stuff without the "Armco" rail like you would find on a canal. I wouldn't leave my boat on pins anywhere near there...Humber Princess doesn't hang about and is rather large!

Cheers

Gareth

I have twice left Cygnet for a week at Goole Boathouse - they were very friendly and not too expensive, but a longer boat may be a problem.

Edited to say that I disagree with Pearly about the Black Horse having good beer. But then I'm awfully fussy about that sort of thing, and it's better than nothing, which it was for quite a long time!

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

The piling might need some wire strops to go through the holes in it...it's industrial stuff without the "Armco" rail like you would find on a canal. I wouldn't leave my boat on pins anywhere near there...Humber Princess doesn't hang about and is rather large!

Cheers

Gareth

Yes, we only spent the one night there as the movement when the gravellers went by was too much. However, we found we could tuck ourselves into the far corner of the marina against the concrete edge. A nice mooring and no smell, the wind must have been in the other direction.

Edited to say that I disagree with Pearly about the Black Horse having good beer. But then I'm awfully fussy about that sort of thing, and it's better than nothing, which it was for quite a long time!

I guess, like a lot of pubs, the beer quality varies. Was good when we were there a couple of years ago. My cousin in law only lives up the road so its his local. Mind you, as Yorkshireman it might be a case of quantity over quality! Edited by pearley

Yes, we only spent the one night there as the movement when the gravellers went by was too much. However, we found we could tuck ourselves into the far corner of the marina against the concrete edge. A nice mooring and no smell, the wind must have been in the other direction.

I guess, like a lot of pubs, the beer quality varies. Was good when we were there a couple of years ago. My cousin in law only lives up the road so its his local. Mind you, as Yorkshireman it might be a case of quantity over quality!

TBH I've never noticed any smell at all. As to the pub, I've been known to trek right up to Rawcliffe to get some proper good beer at Jemmy Hirst At The Rose and Crown (I think).

• 9 years later...

I love Goole docks. As a kid late 50s whilst small and during 60s my parents used to take me to Goole to see my grandma and we would visit the docks for Dad to show me the docks/wharves he worked from when he took barges from there down to Nottingham and back to offload there onto trucks and narrowboats. Much has changed since over the years, he lived in the original Vermuyden terrace that was on the banks of the river and would flood during some winters. One of the two boats he worked on as the lad he would sleep in the hold, it didnt have a wheelhouse, the other had a wheelhouse and he had a bed roll that he used under the wheelhouse seat each night, Imagine that these days there would be hell on lol. How times change.

7 hours ago, Fruitcake Alison said:

Any updates/recent experiences on any of the moorings mentioned in this conversation? Rawcliffe mooring?

6 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I doubt anything has changed in 9 years 🤑

The pub at the Rawcliffe mooring has closed but there are still 14 day visitor moorings there.

The Waterways Museum has closed and is now an auction centre. I think they have paid for moorings which include electric hook up.

There are bankside moorings opposite these moorings on the north side of the navigation. People do leave boats there but we know of people who had their boat broken into there.

Goole Boathouse Marina has changed hands and likes to call itself Goole Marina. They probably have short stay moorings available. Has a nice cafe and bar by all accounts.  There are CRT 72 hour visitor moorings nearby.

Viking Marina is probably still full but it's a nice friendly place.

It's still good fun watching the ships come and go through Ocean Lock.

19 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

The pub at the Rawcliffe mooring has closed but there are still 14 day visitor moorings there.

The Waterways Museum has closed and is now an auction centre. I think they have paid for moorings which include electric hook up.

There are bankside moorings opposite these moorings on the north side of the navigation. People do leave boats there but we know of people who had their boat broken into there.

Goole Boathouse Marina has changed hands and likes to call itself Goole Marina. They probably have short stay moorings available. Has a nice cafe and bar by all accounts.  There are CRT 72 hour visitor moorings nearby.

Viking Marina is probably still full but it's a nice friendly place.

It's still good fun watching the ships come and go through Ocean Lock.

We left our boat (57' narrowboat) at Goole Marina for 10 days in June. They charged us £10/night plus £1/night for electric hook-up. They were very helpful, the bar was quite good & they sold cheap diesel, although not in the bar.