My boat has sunk in Kingston (1939 ww2 wooden motor cruiser)

Marcuswarry

Featured Posts

He's taken care of the most critical things first, painting the outside of the hull...

Turn your noses up you like but it is a fact that external appearances matter, especially on that part of the Thames and the PR he has gained by slapping a coat on the outside is worth a lot of goodwill.

Looking good Marcus

Turn your noses up you like but it is a fact that external appearances matter, especially on that part of the Thames and the PR he has gained by slapping a coat on the outside is worth a lot of goodwill.

Looking good Marcus

Particularly in that part of the River where there a number of vessels - not so much in poor condition - but don't care much about what they leave on the bankside.

The local riparian (council) owners are about to make new byelaws to address this problem,

So it's a very good move by Marcus!!

What a sexy boat!

Well worth the effort, heartache, torn muscles, hypothermia, depression, total exhaustion, etc. that you have to look forward to over the next few years wink.png

Why is it that, at 23:25 at night, having just read hours of posts about one sinking and generally being a pain, mainly what I now want is a wooden boat. MUST GO TO BED!

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

Sorry for the radio silence recently, and thank for all your continued interest & support. Thank you for your kind words regarding the apearance of Fairstar now too! I've been absent for a while, so thought I'd give you a hefty update. Are you sitting comfortably?

EXTERIOR WORKS & STABILISING HER FOR WINTER

I thought it was important to to get the Hull painted, as correctly deduced by some, to ensure she doesn't look like a total eyesore and get the wrong kind of attention from certain people... Also, I had this rather amazing weather, so it made sense to take advantage of this. I've made the decision now, to batton down the hatches for winter.. and renew the exterior work as soon as I can next Spring.

I've also fixed the bow stem leak and the legendery Richard has fixed & re-greased the stern glad. Some of you will remember a long part of this thread dedicated to bilge pumps!! Well in a nutshell, the pump used to come on ever 20 minutes.. and now it comes on about every 3 hours!

By far the biggest improvement made, which increased the time gap between the pump kicking in, was re-greasing the stern gland.. and so I think it's fair to assume, that was the biggest culprit in causing the sinking.

I have two solar panels, charging two leisure battereies. Each leisure battry has a 12V bilge pump attached to it.. so I have a pretty good system in place now too.. I'm also checking on her very frequently obvioulsy!!

INTERIOR WORKS

Over the winter, I can focus on tidying up the interior, and adding some vital things.. like electricity, heating etc. and also sprucing her up a bit.. should be quite fun, I'm looking forward to it!

HER NAME!!!

Some may remember the discussion regarding the change of name... I think I'm going for "Lady Doris", instead of just Doris.. think it's quite cute... and makes her sound dead posh!

NATIONAL HISTORIC SHIPS REGISTER

Great news! She's now on the National Historic Ships Register!

http://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/2819/fairstar

A massive thank you for those who encouraged me to register her. Now I'm on the register, I'm entiteled to apply for grants in 12 months time, but most importantly, I get access to their amazing forums & support...

Check this out: http://www.shipshapenetwork.org.uk - I think anyone can register for the forums infact.. I don't think you have to be on the register... so maybe see you on there shortly too!

CUP OF TEA

I think that's about it for now.. please do swing by for a cup of tea if you're around Kingston Upon Thames.. I'm mostly there over the weekends... and sometimes midweek too...

I hope all is well with all of you!!

Marcus

x

Looking good Marcus

Quite right.

Also if I was Marcus Painting the hull and making the boat look a little more presentable would be a visible sign of progress no matter how psychological the effect. Each time I went to the boat it would be a boost to see her in her new paint and help maintain the enthusiasm to keep going and do the rest of the needed improvements.

Well done to Marcus for getting this far. You will be rewarded in the end by a special boat that will mean a great deal to you as you will have invested so much of your own time and effort in it. It's a cracking boat.

Is it not the case anyway that the next priority to protect a raised boat after (1) curing the causes of leaks and (2) getting the engine to function so it can be moved is (3) to paint the outside?

Just like any wood-clad building e.g. a garden shed, the wood's exposed to the weather and should benefit from the right coating before winter, so long as it's had a chance to dry first out since being raised. I don't know which wood is customarily used for the side planks of a boat above water (oak?), no doubt it would be a hardwood with fairly good water resistance, but isn't it the case that even the best woods will rot eventually if subjected to enough weather?

Hello everyone!

Here's a very random post... Not boat related actually... But wondered if one of you heroes may be able throw in an idea or two?!

I own a horsebox (Bedford lorry) that's been converted into a liveable space, with wood paneling, solar, wood burner, gas cooker, basic loo facilities etc...

Inside it looks really cool.. I wish I could easily share a picture on here!!

Anyway, my friend recently said he wanted it on his drive in Oxford, to use as a spare room...

Any of you familiar with 'glamping'? Basically, posh camping! Well that's the vibe it has...

So I drove it all the way from mid Wales to Oxford a couple of weeks ago. And now he's selling his house!

So I'm trying to find somewhere reasonably near there... Or within about 2 hours of london, where she can sit over winter?!

It could well be used as a qwerky spare room if you wanted!

And it could even make money if it was rented out on airbnb, or something like that!!

I need to move her in the next week or so, otherwise it's back to Wales for her.. Which would be a bit of a pain!

Anyone know of any ideas? Any farmers that might be able to help out?!

Sorry to take this off the subject of Lady Doris... It's just you lot are just too flipping friendly and helpful for your own good, so I thought it might be worth asking!

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this anyway!

All the best,

Marcus

X