My boat has sunk in Kingston (1939 ww2 wooden motor cruiser)

Marcuswarry

Featured Posts

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Wanted - sorry for slow reply - lt's all sorted now, it's in Oxford. I've even put it on Airbnb, and had 3 happy customers already! Check it out here if interested!

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/4413969

Sorry, back to my boats.. freezing cold ones at that! I'm prioritising a quick and inexpensive way to get some heating into the front bow room now...

I've just been googling gas heaters of varying types, and my head is spinning a bit.. so are so many, some that require flues, some that don't... why?! Why do the portable ones not require flues?! Sorry to sound like sucha novice again..

My main question is this...

I think a wall mounted one would look quite cool, and of course take up less space than a portable one... I've found it rather hard to find what I'm looking for... apart from a few rediculously priced ones from the US... why is this? Am I being a plonker?

Thanks for all your help!

Marcus

x

P.S. Lady Doris (aka Fairstar, is doing well (touch wood!!).. I've tidied up the bow room room now.. and pretty soon it should be quite cosy & liveable in! I'll send pics when done, and when I work out how to!

A flued gas heater like the Cosy Cabin from the US would be okay because the flue means it will be 'dry heat'. Another one which is bigger is the Dutch "pelgrim bambino" but rare in the uk.

Any unflued gas unit will generate a lot of moisture and make it very uncomfortable to be in there. They are designed to be portable so a flue would not work.

have you considered diesel? Things like Refleks, Sigmar, Glembring and Taylors would be ok and 'in keeping' with the boat.

Another option for classic motor yots is a charcoal burner

Pascall Atkey "pansy" is one and I think Dickinson marine and Sigmar do them as well.

Solid fuel is the other option but I am not sure about putting in a large stove because it spoils the boat and is difficult to salvage if the boat becomes a wreck.

Suitable (small) solid fuel stoves include the Davy Hot Pot and the Faversham, there are also some cheap tent stoves about.

If you just want a stove while you are there use solid fuel as its easy to find a bit of wood and its very reliable and will not cover everythimg in condensation

Gas heater produce carbon monoxide which will kill you This is why they have to have flues. heavy gas which sits in the bottom of the boat and fills it. Gas heater in houses have to have an uninteruptable fresh air supply to avoid poor combustion. Ther have been several deaths from BBQs in tents this summer.

Edited by The Bagdad Boatman (waits)

Any un-flued gas heater in a small space is asking for trouble.

As MM has said, they produce huge amounts of moisture and need plenty of ventilation, which in a lot of respects negates their usefulness as you see all of your heat going out of the vents.

Any type of heater needs to be flued to get rid of the products of combustion and give a dry heat.

.......... and get a CO detector

Catalytic gas heaters are what many boats and caravans used years ago. They consume their own exhaust.

Also illegal as new installations under RCD if I remember correctly, due to their tendency to consume their users too if inadequately ventilated. Can't remember about BSS but I think they are acceptable. Even so, best avoided in my opinion. I never see them for sale new either.

MtB

Not very well, they have what is essentially a Primus stove burner inside.

Taylors do make a drip feed version for diesel fuel.

Tim

I thought it would be similar to a primus as there's mention of a pressure pump.

I just wondered if the same principal could be used to vapourise diesel

Would that run on diesel?

As Tim says no it won't, anyone bidding on it should bear in mind that paraffin costs about £5 a litre these days from petrol stations and DIY outlets. The cheapest I've ever found it for sale is in the coal merchant at Enslow, who charge about £17 for a box containing 4 x 2 litres.

MtB

for some reason they are always cheaper than the Blakes stoves. popular with Dutch commercials and looks like a fraction of the price of the Taylors.

Rather bigger than the Taylors stoves, I think, and need electricity though I don't know what their consumption is.

Tim

I know nothing, but I always thought that type of stove was for Paraffin, possibly 28sec. Kerosene.

A quick Guggle brings this up:-

http://www.refleks-olieovne.dk/default.asp?PageNumber=9885

in which it clearly states Diesel. I researched it because the ?burner assembly reminded me of an elderly oil fired Aga.

If the eBay one is a diesel heater - then it could be of interest to 'whoever'.

As Tim says no it won't, anyone bidding on it should bear in mind that paraffin costs about £5 a litre these days from petrol stations and DIY outlets. The cheapest I've ever found it for sale is in the coal merchant at Enslow, who charge about £17 for a box containing 4 x 2 litres.

MtB

£5 a litre bloody hell where do you buy it? last I bought was from Grindley Brook @ 80 a litre

It's pricier bought in those plastic containers from Garden Centres I admit but never £5 a litre

I would expect the Refleks on ebay to collect some decent money by the end of the eBay auction. about £200 wouldn't surprise me or maybe more.

It looks like a 66m which are about £600 new and very popular units for all sorts of different boats. Its got the hot plate top which might make it a bit more valuable as it can be used for cooking as well as heating.

The Taylors 79D (or K) is a bulkhead heater which I think looks better in a boat like Doris/Fairstar but the Refleks would be a nice practical unit as well. It will need a flue and collar and the all important anti downdraught flue terminal which would add about another £100 if done well, or a bit more if done exactly as required.

£5 a litre bloody hell where do you buy it? last I bought was from Grindley Brook @ 80 a litre
It's pricier bought in those plastic containers from Garden Centres I admit but never £5 a litre

Was that someone with a pump or prepacked fuel in plastic cans?

I was thinking the £5 was for a 4 litre can but I haven't looked at the prices recently so I've no idea.

80p sounds pretty good - in bulk I think its about 50 or 60p but that would need a 500 litre tank or something like that and they probably wouldn't deliver to a boat anyway.

:unsure:

I would expect the Refleks on ebay to collect some decent money by the end of the eBay auction. about £200 wouldn't surprise me or maybe more.

It looks like a 66m which are about £600 new and very popular units for all sorts of different boats. Its got the hot plate top which might make it a bit more valuable as it can be used for cooking as well as heating.

The Taylors 79D (or K) is a bulkhead heater which I think looks better in a boat like Doris/Fairstar but the Refleks would be a nice practical unit as well. It will need a flue and collar and the all important anti downdraught flue terminal which would add about another £100 if done well, or a bit more if done exactly as required.

Was that someone with a pump or prepacked fuel in plastic cans?

I was thinking the £5 was for a 4 litre can but I haven't looked at the prices recently so I've no idea.

80p sounds pretty good - in bulk I think its about 50 or 60p but that would need a 500 litre tank or something like that and they probably wouldn't deliver to a boat anyway.

unsure.png

it was from a pump at Grindely Brook garage on the Llangollen, unfortunately i have had to move away from the area, so access to cheap paraffin is a problem, anyone know of a garage between Coventry and Birmingham selling paraffin?

it was from a pump at Grindely Brook garage on the Llangollen, unfortunately i have had to move away from the area, so access to cheap paraffin is a problem, anyone know of a garage between Coventry and Birmingham selling paraffin?

Most garages in this area have embraced at least the late 20th century

Richard